Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2021, 02:50 PM   #136
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
My Libra 2 is actually pretty slow all around. It doesn't bother me though.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:37 PM   #137
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Your sage also has a different processor than the Libra 2.
indeed it does. the Sage is also considerably more expensive than the new Paperwhite. therefore the speed of the Paperwhite is impressive. the recessed screen on the Libra 2 seems to give it the advantage over the Paperwhite screen imho. the Libra 2 looks better to my eyes.

edit. it's a shame it's too big and square for my requirements

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 10-31-2021 at 03:41 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2021, 04:00 PM   #138
MelonFarmer70
MelonFarmer70 is a marvel to beholdMelonFarmer70 is a marvel to beholdMelonFarmer70 is a marvel to beholdMelonFarmer70 is a marvel to beholdMelonFarmer70 is a marvel to beholdMelonFarmer70 is a marvel to beholdMelonFarmer70 is a marvel to beholdMelonFarmer70 is a marvel to beholdMelonFarmer70 is a marvel to beholdMelonFarmer70 is a marvel to beholdMelonFarmer70 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle
Can I ask whether you have noticed any light pinholes in the screen.

I had a Kobo Libra H2O which had a noticeable pinhole right out of the box, I requested a replacement and that too had one (though less visible).

I was wondering if there had been any improvements in the screen for the Kobo Libra 2.

Thanks
MelonFarmer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:05 PM   #139
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Well you guys made me do it. I impulse ordered my first Kobo
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:41 PM   #140
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
My Libra 2 is actually pretty slow all around. It doesn't bother me though.
Yeah all ereaders that I've used have been slow, comparatively speaking. The 'slowness' of the Libra 2 doesn't bother me.

But watching the Paperwhite zip along is cool. I'd still buy a Libra 2 over a Paperwhite if I were shopping for a reader. That speed doesn't make up for other things I prefer on Kobo.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2021, 04:42 PM   #141
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonFarmer70 View Post

I had a Kobo Libra H2O which had a noticeable pinhole right out of the box, I requested a replacement and that too had one (though less visible).

I was wondering if there had been any improvements in the screen for the Kobo Libra 2.

Thanks
Read my different messages in this thread. The Libra2 as a way better screen that the Libra H2O. Kobo did a great job this time.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:43 PM   #142
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Well you guys made me do it. I impulse ordered my first Kobo
I think you’ll enjoy it. Congrats.
Quote:
Yeah all ereaders that I've used have been slow, comparatively speaking. The 'slowness' of the Libra 2 doesn't bother me.

But watching the Paperwhite zip along is cool. I'd still buy a Libra 2 over a Paperwhite if I were shopping for a reader. That speed doesn't make up for other things I prefer on Kobo.
I wouldn’t mind having the same improved speed in the Libra 2
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:49 PM   #143
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
I wouldn’t mind having the same improved speed in the Libra 2
Sounds like you are already forecasting the Libra 3
Old 10-31-2021, 04:50 PM   #144
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Question: How is the weight distribution on the Libra 2? I believe it's actually a bit lighter than my old Aura HD (215 g instead of 240), but is it evenly balanced?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:57 PM   #145
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sounds like you are already forecasting the Libra 3

what extra/other features could they add to a Libra 3? other than more storage of course.

best wishes koboy
Old 10-31-2021, 05:00 PM   #146
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonFarmer70 View Post
None that I can see. I have no complaints regarding the front light. The color is adjustable and I haven't found any setting where it is problematic. There's neither defect nor gradients nor shadows with my Libra 2, as much as I can tell. Seems like a perfect frontlight device to me. Never had issues with that on the Aura H2O either, it was very good, it just lacked the color adjustment gizmo.

You can see the LEDs but only if you look at the display at an very odd angle you'd never use while reading.

At least for the white Libra 2 there is some black duct tape inside the device (on the sides of the back plate) probably meant to help prevent light bleeding.

That said, there are pinholes. A whole bunch of them, real ones, right through the plastic. It's how they allow the power LED to shine through. It's only visible when looking straight at it, nearly invisible from an angle, so that confused me at first when I tried to turn it on, but the LED didn't seem to blink.

So if this was a smartphone and the LED used for notification purposes, it would suck a lot, but the power LED on ereaders basically doesn't matter so, it's whatever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	libra2_pinholes_powerled.jpg
Views:	2460
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	189956   Click image for larger version

Name:	libra2_backplate_tape.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	189957  

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-31-2021 at 05:19 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:14 PM   #147
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
what extra/other features could they add to a Libra 3? other than more storage of course.
For me personally, I just wanted a reader with both warm lighting and waterproofing. The extra storage and USB-C are nice but not must haves. The same would go for a speed boost à la the Paperwhite.

I do hope Kobo releases a 6" reader with both warm lighting and waterproofing.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:27 PM   #148
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Yeah all ereaders that I've used have been slow, comparatively speaking.
That's because you haven't used any Kindles.

When I bought my Nook and my Libra, I was pretty dismayed by their slowness at first (having only used Kindles before, and only the Oases for the past several years - the Oasis 2 and 3 have the same processor as the new Paperwhites). It still bothers me, but I can live with it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:49 PM   #149
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
For me personally, I just wanted a reader with both warm lighting and waterproofing. The extra storage and USB-C are nice but not must haves. The same would go for a speed boost à la the Paperwhite.

I do hope Kobo releases a 6" reader with both warm lighting and waterproofing.
i disagree with the waterproofing part. reason being if the storage they use is an SD card (which it probably will be) it will more than likely be glued in like it is on the new Libra 2.

you have the Clara HD which as you know as an 8GB SD card inside which is relatively easy to change precisely because it isn't glued in. if the Clara HD was waterproof the chances of being able to replace the SD card if need be drops dramatically.

best wishes koboy
Old 10-31-2021, 06:24 PM   #150
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I've upgraded to Libra 2 from my old Aura H2O. I would have happily kept going with it, except for the battery and the USB port showing symptoms of degradation.

The new, bigger, Kindle Paperwhite really tempted me. But after reading about the attempts at locking down the firmware, I decided against it. I've been pretty much exclusively using Koreader for my practical reading during the last few years, and I intend to keep doing so.

As for the Libra 2, the screen is noticeably better. I don't care too much for the new form factor, I would have preferred the old, symmetric shape and slightly lower weight. Seems much more ergonomic to me.

Importing my old library (some 900 books) into the new Kobo firmware was relatively smooth, and less of a hassle than with my previous Kobo imports. But I'm not sure whether this can be attributed to improvements of the Kobo firmware, or to my input formats being better pre-sanitized.

Anyway, seems like a solid, nice device. Going to practically test it now by reading the new Franzen and upcoming Neal Stephenson...

Last edited by xor_; 10-31-2021 at 06:27 PM.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote