Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #136
scottsan
Connoisseur
scottsan began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
dict. autorun

How do I return to the book I was reading or to the menu after launching the dict app?

Thanks, Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hi All,
Thanks to mkaluza excellent contributions I've been able to add a soft key launcher to the dictionary. This way the user is no longer required to insert-reinsert the SD Card to get the dictionary to load. Just hold down the "0" button and the dictionary will launch.

Since this is a back door way which tricks the system into thinking the card has been inserted the time is still about 5-20sec to load. (The time depends on the size of the SD Card.

INSTALL
Unzip the file and place the autorun.js in the directory below.
Code:
<SD DRIVE:>\Sony Reader\Software
=X=
scottsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #137
scottsan
Connoisseur

with regards to autorun, when pressing 0 the 505 restarts and then the diction ary opens. I tried changing the code line doHold0 to doHold9, but the same thing happens when I press 9.

Wuzzup?

Scott
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #138
scottsan
Connoisseur

dict. app

Never mind. I figured it out by weeding through the posts.
Now I'm trying to get the autorun to function properly.

Be well

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsan View Post
I've been away from the forum for a while, so please forgive any perceived ignorance.

Many months ago I tried to make use of the sd card-based dictionary app on my prs 505 running with the updated firmware, but was unsuccessful, nothing happened at all when I installed the sd card.

It seems from what I've recently gathered here that some changes/progress have been made. I would really like to try using the dictionary app again.

Could someone post links to, if not the actual most up-to-date files necessary, as well as simple and easy to follow directions for installing the files and getting the app to function.
I am a simple GUI user with no programming skills/knowledge, but did successfully install the customization app and customized my prs 505.

Getting the dictionary app to work would be icing on the sony cake.

Thanks for you kindness.
Scott
Old 02-07-2009, 05:07 AM   #139
relexe
relexe began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Complete Spanish Dictonary

Hello, i have been using this nice dictionary (the one pinned) and its working great, but is there any Spanish dictionary available?, i found one that translates English to spanish, but i would love to have a complete spanish dictionary, i cant find one.

So... anyone have it or have the raw data so i can adapt it?
relexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:29 AM   #140
tommywjf
tommywjf began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi all,

I just joined this great forum today, and also want to contribute sth for the most precious-but-lacking feature in this Sony Reader.

From my experience in N800, there is a software name StarDict providing my kinds of dictionary (check it out in the link below), and most of the file are called RPM and tarball. I have been using this StarDict in N800 very smoothy and think that it offers a sufficient amount of word for all of us. All the best dictionary are there: Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, and in French, German, etc. The matter is either converting these files into suitable formats or developing a PRS-500/5 program that can run these files.

http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dict...w.dict.org.php

Hope you guys can share,
Thanks,
tommywjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #141
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Dictionary lookup?

Is allready possible to looukp a word in the dictionary, selecting it from the text, as in the mobi files with the Cybook?
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #142
duyusa
duyusa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ebook Reader
Hi,
I am a newbie in this ground. I just recently got a Sony Ebook Reader PRS-500 from a friend. I definitely want to install the dictionary on the Ebook Reader, and thankfully that I found out that there exists one here. I really appreciate your help to develop and bring it to public.
Sorry for my ignorance, I tried to follow the instruction but I am stuck since I don't know where to file the internal memory of the Reader to copy the required folder to. E.g. prs/database/... I could do it with my SD card since I put it to my card reader and it show up the folder as in the instruction; however, hopeless for the Reader's internal memory.
My first thought it should appear as a new device in My Computer (I am using Windows XP) and I can easily access to it, but I did not find anything there. I installed the Sony Ebook Library came along with the CD from Sony to connect the reader with my laptop via USB, but still I could not know how to access to the internal memory to copy the folder
Therefore, if anyone can give me some instruction, I would appreciate that, do I need to have some special software in order to access to the internal memory folder system of the reader (probably Flasher or something existing in the forum now). Again, I am a newbie, I hope to listen from all of you.

Sincerely
DN
duyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #143
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
How can I change from the alphabetical portrait "keyboard" to the QWERTY landscape keyboard? I'm sure one way would be to delete the portrait keyboard, change the name of the QWERTY keyboard and move that file to the directory where the alpha keyboard was filed. Is there an alternate approach?

Also, searches seem to be quite slow. I haven't timed any, but they seem to take about 20-30 seconds. Is this to be expected?

Thanks in advance.
SteveK

Last edited by SteveK; 02-22-2009 at 01:53 PM.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #144
allon_pan
allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.allon_pan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505
After going through all the post, I would say this app has gone much further than 0.7 version. I suggest you guys give a fully update on the 1st floor covering the latest version / feature..say 0.87

Still two concerns for me to try it:
1. Soft key to start this app seems not stable yet? I dont like the idea of reinstert SD card every time to start it.
2. Can anyone provide the power consuming info of this app. Say on/off this app will make how much difference of the working time of 505?
allon_pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #145
MasterGame
Enthusiast
MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Any progress getting the soft key launch to work for this?
MasterGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:01 AM   #146
enarchay
Zealot
enarchay began at the beginning.

Device: none
These hacks can't damage my reader, right?

Also, the autorun by pressing "0" doesn't seem to work. If I press and hold "0," nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by enarchay; 06-20-2009 at 03:09 AM.
enarchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 AM   #147
yolan
Connoisseur
yolan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & Kindle PW
Hello there!

I've found that sometimes when I insert the SD card the reader becomes irresponsive, and I must reboot it.
After that, I find all my collections, bookmarks and history have disappeared (though the books are still there).
It looks like the media.xml is corrupt or something and the reader rebuilds it at boot-time.

Did anybody experienced the same when using the dictionary?
Thank you!
yolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #148
kool
kool began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500; iPad; K3
Hello,
A friend of mine has given me his PRS 500 and I am missing dictionary in it. Found out this thread and am curious to use your great work. However, while going through the thread I found out that there are many updates that have been released by you guys but I am not sure which one is the final one for PRS 500.
Please let me know which one should I use.

Thanks & regards

Kool
kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 AM   #149
SerhiyKa
SerhiyKa began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hi everybody,
I'm new with this forum. Some questions 'bout the iinstallation of the dictionary. I've followed the instructions and completed the installation. Now when I insert the card the dictionary start, i can type in words, but when I press enter nothing happens. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks and regards,
Serhiy
SerhiyKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:11 AM   #150
Anatot
Anatot began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505 (German)
Hi Clemens,

in the german forum
http://reader-club.sony.de/web/guest...190F911996B174
they ask for installing your great DictioLauncher 0.7b to PRS 600.
You wrote the programm for the PRS 500 and PRS 505. Would be glad to see if you may wrote it also for the 600.

Greatings from
Peter
(wohne wohl um die Ecke von Dir in FFM-Seckbach)
Anatot is offline   Reply With Quote