Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #136
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook/Nook Color
I did not meet my goal in 2013, but looking for a job took most of my time. I will set the same goal this year. I plan to read 150 novels and 150 novellas in 2014. Of these, I will be looking at catching up on reading what I already have on my nook. I need to get half of them from my nook library. As of today I have 1449 books on my nook still to be read. Hoping to get that number to go down this year. I will also be trying to read everything in the list in the Free and bargain romance ebooks + Discussion thread.

Auntykatkat
auntykatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #137
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
(Damn. They cut off my evil laugh.)
"Missed it by that much."
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #138
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
Three days in, three books down--but I'm already struggling with my resolve to spend a lot less on reading this year (new overall severe budget constraints, not just in this area, so there's nowhere to shift additional funds from). I'm a series reader by nature, with plenty of "first in a series" books in my TBR pile to choose from, but then it's tough not to be able to just buy the next book in the set!
I'm two books in, and I'm kicking off the year by reading some of those series I bought after reading their first books.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #139
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I have a feeling that all the sub-challenges I set myself will take quite a bit of remembering and juggling...

As my second book of the year is the DTB of Jasper Fforde's Something Rotten that has been languishing on my shelf for nearly ten years, and is neither speculative YA, urban fantasy or cosy mystery (although I suppose one could say it sort of vaguely crosses over into all of those genres), it should count against two of my sub-challenges as well as the main one, anyway.

Also, day three and no new books bought. Yay! I've been tempted a couple of times, but managed to exercise will power - none of the temptations were books I really wanted.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:21 AM   #140
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Device: Calibre (for MAC), MoonReader (Android)
Count me in for the 2014 reading challenge. Not setting any real "goals" other than to finish the series that I started in 2013.

I came close to 5,000 pages last year (and starting late), so I think if I have a goal, it will be 5,000 pages.

Let's have some fun reading this year!! I like to see who's reading what also, boradens my horizons, as well as making my TRL insanely large!! LOL
rpmazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #141
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur
Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad 2, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntykatkat View Post
As of today I have 1449 books on my nook still to be read.
Oh wow, you just made me feel REALLY good about the 64 on my Kobo!
Tizzalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #142
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
My goal is to read 30 books, but I may update it to 36 before the end of January.

I see those books as follows:
- 6 classics
- 6 best-sellers
- 6 non-fiction
- 6 freebies

I need to find something else for the 6 to 12 remaining books
And a good thing would be to buy less books this year

Last edited by samhy; 01-04-2014 at 08:45 AM.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #143
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
I dropped out of last year's challenge in about a week (although I did get a decent amount of reading done nonetheless). This year, I'm aiming for 60 books (5 a month seems like a reasonable number). This will include:

- Finishing the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson (I've read the first two)
- Reading at least 10 non-fiction works (mainly a mix of history and philosophy)
- 5 books of poems (collection of different poets or single poet works)
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #144
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Just finished Honor of the Queen by David Weber for my first book of the year.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #145
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
My goal is to read 30 books, but I may update it to 36 before the end of January.

I see those books as follows:
- 6 classics
- 6 best-sellers
- 6 non-fiction
- 6 freebies

I need to find something else for the 6 to 12 remaining books
And a good thing would be to buy less books this year
I'll keep 6 books as wild cards. Now I have more than three weeks to decide if I'm trying to read 6 more books and if so what kind of books those will be.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #146
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Well, thanks to an unexpected sale on some Marvel graphic novels, I've just finished book six of the year.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #147
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've got four done so far. I'm now reading Linda Castillo's Kate Burkholder mystery series so that'll add a few more when they are done.

With the snowstorm that hit here on Friday and the subsequent bitter cold days, I've had a lot of reading time since I didn't shovel out the car, gambling on tonight's rain and temperatures in the 40's to melt the snow enough to free it. ~fingers crossed~
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:40 AM   #148
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur
Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad 2, iPhone 5
I just finished my 6th book last night. My holidays are over now though, so from now on there will be a lot less reading time
Tizzalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:52 AM   #149
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
I am of to a decent start, with 3 books read so far. I do have to update my list here on MR from 2013 ... I got 'till September so far....
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 AM   #150
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
I finished the first book of the year, 59 Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot by Richard Wiseman. It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, but there were some interesting parts in it.
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote