Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #136
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
but the components aren't going to enable me to read a book or magazine faster
I fully understand and 'get' the rest of your post, but the components would make a difference to how quickly you can read a magazine, in particular.

If this iPad mini had a retina screen (one of the areas where there has been some disappointment) reading a magazine would be considerably easier, with less zooming in and scrolling around - so, I'd say, yes, quicker.

What was adequate on the larger iPad 2 screen will feel more cramped on the smaller mini screen (as with the the 7" Android tablets).

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #137
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I like that word.

...let's see if I can use it in a sentence.

It's my imperative to find bananas
Yep, just like bananas in a bunch we are social creatures.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #138
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Apple explains their pricing when questioned by Reuters.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49536244
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #139
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Well, when apple talk about the A6X, or they new retina or whatever, they certainly buzz it up, as if it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and consumers gobble it up and drool all over the place. Then, when it comes to shipping year old technology at overinflated prices, the consumers simply say "well, it doesn't matter what's in the inside". Really, no wonder apple is swimming in gold, their PR machine is going on overdrive.
Just because they buzz doesn't mean we're all really listening, or understand, for that matter. People get that the retina screen is a sharper picture, more memory means faster, the rest of it ....blah, blah, blah.

Price wise, it just isn't as important a factor for some, like it is for others. I don't care what the cost versus retail is. Frankly, I don't even care what the retail is. If I need it, I get it.

I think you overvalue that PR machine you like to mention. It might get people into the store the first time but they wouldn't come back if the products didn't work for them. Oohhh! Shiny! Pretty! Only gets you so far.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #140
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Apple explains their pricing when questioned by Reuters.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49536244
I like the way they preface the piece with (my emphasis):

Quote:
Apple marketing wizard Phil Schiller defended...

Whatever else they are, Apple really are very, very clever at sticking to a message and getting it out into the ears of the public.

In this case, Schiller has deflected the critics' arguments that the mini is actually a poorer-specced product than its rivals with the assertion that people will "pay for quality".

In another thread I've compared the mini with the similarly sized, aluminium-bodied Samsung 7.7", which is coming in more expensive than the iPad mini, so there is a discussion to be had about where the price of quality has been spent, but Schiller's remarks are pure marketing spin, when there are Fire and Nook devices with higher specs and larger, high resolution, quality screens arriving offering a similar experience at a lower cost.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #141
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The article did mention that Google's and Amazon's offerings were most likely at or below cost. And Apple doesn't price their products that way.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #142
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
How do you differentiate between Amazon's and Apple's walled gardens? Is one better than the other? Except for expense, those other things apply to Amazon's Kindle Fire as well, maybe even more so.
I'd call Amazon's more of a low fence than a walled garden. Both ecosystems 'lock you in' to a point, but Amazon's content is much more accessible on a variety of platforms which makes things more flexible.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #143
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
It'll say a lot about Apple's shine if these things sell well. If they do, then I say Cook will be successful -- Apple is too big to fail. If they don't, people will immediately second guess him for violating the Tao of Steve (who knew the mini was not a good product).

Should be interesting...
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #144
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
pl001, what do you mean "Apple doesn't allow sideloads?" Perhaps you mean strictly through iTunes? I had quite a few sideloaded e-books on my iPhone in different apps (e.g. loading/reading PDF's using Air Sharing). Even iTunes allows sideloaded music (99% of my collection are rips from my own CD's). I've made plenty of my own free iPhone ringtones (even before there were free apps for that). The garden walls are not as high as people like to think.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #145
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It will sell well. I hate to stereotype but the "majority" of folks will preorder and be on line day 1 without any thought to specs.

The process is they wanted an IPAD but it was too costly for them. This is a MINI Ipad (smaller only in size to them which is now more portable), its cheaper, etc. so viola!

Last edited by robertc88; 10-24-2012 at 04:54 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #146
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
pl001, what do you mean "Apple doesn't allow sideloads?" Perhaps you mean strictly through iTunes? I had quite a few sideloaded e-books on my iPhone in different apps (e.g. loading/reading PDF's using Air Sharing). Even iTunes allows sideloaded music (99% of my collection are rips from my own CD's). I've made plenty of my own free iPhone ringtones (even before there were free apps for that). The garden walls are not as high as people like to think.
iTunes allows you to sideload music, books, tv shows and movies.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #147
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I'll take a guess that he means having to use iTunes, versus sideloading via open standards and common connectivity. Having to use iTunes to get sideloaded data into Apple's encrypted database before the files can be used, versus just copying stuff via a USB MSC connection represents a far more prison-like walled garden then Amazon, when you can simply plug the device into any modern PC, copy files over, and use them.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #148
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Apple has released a new iPod, iPad and iPad mini at the same time. Surely sales of one or more of these devices will be cannibalized - it's hard to imagine even fan boys buying one of each.

Last edited by JoHunt; 10-24-2012 at 05:08 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #149
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
I wasn't clear on that, sorry. I meant sideloading apps, not content. ApK and AnemicOak also make good points about iTunes and accessibility across platforms.

Last edited by pl001; 10-24-2012 at 05:16 PM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #150
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Then Just maybe the fact that even for that rip off starting price of $329 you don't even get GPS and have to stump up another $100+ on top to buy the Wifi Cellular version will.
Read the specs and it's clear to see that the Wifi version only comes with Wifi and a Digital compass
I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by that, given that it has been true of every iDevice released so far.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote