Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-18-2023, 07:41 AM   #136
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertosaenz View Post
Hello guys, I have one question, if I use SVG images (in an html file) for KF8/KFX devices only, they will remain reflowable after the amazon conversion? or they would be converted to JPG/GIF ?
Converted to JPG/GIF. The KF8 and KF7 devices cannot display SVG, unless, again, something has DRASTICALLY changed in the last few days. You can read that here: https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/to...5V4YX5X8GRGXWV which has been up for some time now.

You'll also note that automatic conversion, by KDP, is done without your consent or even notification for anything like images of text, etc. (to GIF) and all that.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:53 AM   #137
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Hello guys, I have one question, if I use SVG images (in an html file) for KF8/KFX devices only, they will remain reflowable after the amazon conversion? or they would be converted to JPG/GIF ?
Most customers will receive your book from Amazon in KFX format. And so far Amazon's generation of KFX converts SVG images into rasterized JPEG, sometimes poorly.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2023, 10:39 AM   #138
robertosaenz
robertosaenz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 10th gen
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Converted to JPG/GIF. The KF8 and KF7 devices cannot display SVG, unless, again, something has DRASTICALLY changed in the last few days. You can read that here: https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/to...5V4YX5X8GRGXWV which has been up for some time now.

You'll also note that automatic conversion, by KDP, is done without your consent or even notification for anything like images of text, etc. (to GIF) and all that.

Hitch
Thanks Hitch, does it mean that some devices will get GIFs with transparent background? or KDP uses only white box GIFs?
robertosaenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:40 AM   #139
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Hitch, does it mean that some devices will get GIFs with transparent background? or KDP uses only white box GIFs?
No, as I said, upthread, there is no transparency in Kindles.

Hitch
Old 01-18-2023, 11:49 AM   #140
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
GIFs simply as fixed palette alternative to png, no transparency or animation, though no idea why png without transparency not used too. Predates first kindle by 10 years. Perhaps a decision made by Mobipocket.

It's an electronic version of a printed book. Printed book files don't usually allow transparency or animation and white is regarded as transparent on paper books.

Thus if the file is printed on cream paper, the white areas are cream.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-18-2023 at 11:57 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2023, 07:10 PM   #141
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I thought kf8.p/azw3 books did support svg (without any rasterization needed). Kindlegen will properly create and store them and Kindleunpack will certainly unpack the svg from a .azw3 and the result will work in the resulting epub.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-18-2023 at 07:16 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:44 PM   #142
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I thought kf8.p/azw3 books did support svg (without any rasterization needed). Kindlegen will properly create and store them and Kindleunpack will certainly unpack the svg from a .azw3 and the result will work in the resulting epub.
Right, amazon has and uses tools to do the right thing, yet they go out of their way to convert and otherwise degrade images, as discussed the past few weeks in this thread.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:53 PM   #143
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
But how do you degrade an svg? It is a vector format and not rasterized.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:40 PM   #144
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
I've done some tests by converting epub with Kindlegen, then Kindleunpack to see what was done.

KF8 supports SVG graphics. These pass through conversion unaltered, as far as I can tell. KF7 files though I think SVG are just omitted.

Look at the code in some commercial books and they use media queries to provide alternates like "* * *" as an ornamental divider for KF7, and an SVG graphic for KF8.

SVG go through.
PNG are converted to sometimes GIF, sometimes JPEG. Usually larger and lower quality.
So I always convert PNG to those formats myself and optimise them, as GIF and JPEG are unchanged (except perhaps huge files might be downsampled). BW diagrams I reduce the colourspace to 4 colours, get a file much smaller than a similar looking JPEG.

Last edited by AlanHK; 01-18-2023 at 08:54 PM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:01 PM   #145
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Hitch
That page says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
Computer-generated visuals are best represented as Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) however, SVG tags can lead to errors. We recommend removing SVG tags and using the image tag in HTML for images.
i.e. they do support it but don't "recommend" SVG, presumably some have submitted weird code and caused problems.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:21 PM   #146
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
i.e. they do support it but don't "recommend" SVG, presumably some have submitted weird code and caused problems.
I read that differently. Like much of Amazon's documentation for publishers it is unclear what they actually mean.

I see it as saying that there are some cases when using SVG is the best choice for an image. But you should put the SVG image in a separate file and reference it from your HTML using an img element as opposed to placing it inline within the HTML document. But I can see how it could be interpreted in different ways.

I miss the days when there were actual standards.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:37 PM   #147
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I see it as saying that there are some cases when using SVG is the best choice for an image. But you should put the SVG image in a separate file and reference it from your HTML using an img element as opposed to placing it inline within the HTML document.
I often use the "InsertImageSVG" plugin to wrap an image in SVG. Using image tags, I can't find another way to have both maximum size and prevent distortion in all cases.

Anyway, if it works without error converted by Kindlegen and then loaded on a Kindle, I assume it will work when Amazon converts it.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:29 AM   #148
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I often use the "InsertImageSVG" plugin to wrap an image in SVG. Using image tags, I can't find another way to have both maximum size and prevent distortion in all cases.

Anyway, if it works without error converted by Kindlegen and then loaded on a Kindle, I assume it will work when Amazon converts it.
Alan,

No offense, but I would never assume that. I always check the for-sale book, once it's online, if we used SVG or anything remotely unusual; the PW-- Processing or Publishing workflow, I can't remember the actual term--I have a medical issue that is temporarily affecting my recall--by which they mean their own internal conversion stage can do some weird-ass things.

Hitch
Old 01-19-2023, 03:49 AM   #149
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

For large images we use:

height: auto;
width: 90%; /* or whatever you want */

or if a portrait image
width: auto;
height: 90%; /* or whatever you want */

We have that inside a p or div with class something like this, which allows for a centred caption

{
display: block;
font-family: "Droid Sans", sans-serif;
font-weight: bold;
margin-bottom: 3pt;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0;
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
padding-top: 0;
text-align: center;
text-indent: 0
}

We'd never use SVG on something also going to Amazon.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:28 AM   #150
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
For large images we use:

height: auto;
width: 90%; /* or whatever you want */

or if a portrait image
width: auto;
height: 90%; /* or whatever you want */

We have that inside a p or div with class something like this, which allows for a centred caption

{
display: block;
font-family: "Droid Sans", sans-serif;
font-weight: bold;
margin-bottom: 3pt;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0;
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
padding-top: 0;
text-align: center;
text-indent: 0
}

We'd never use SVG on something also going to Amazon.
That's very similar to our coding, nearly identical. (Great Minds Think Alike! Ha!).

And I try to stay away from SVG, for all the obvious reasons. When it's fully supported, which may be ten years out yet, great (with any damn luck, I'll have sold the biz and be retired by then), but before then, the chances for disaster are just too high. We do a lot of things that other companies don't--we give our customers not one but two epubs, one optimized for Amazon with media queries and all that, and one for "everybody else," but SVG is just a bridge too far, for us, with all the potential for problems, post PW. (I'm 99% sure, now, that it's Publishing Workflow, sorry for the brainfart earlier.)

Hitch