Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What features are required for a 9.7’’ e-reader ?
Wifi 378 64.40%
3G 121 20.61%
Touch screen 334 56.90%
Stylus 196 33.39%
Color screen 213 36.29%
Email 125 21.29%
Web Browser 231 39.35%
Document search 393 66.95%
Dictionary 413 70.36%
Music player 84 14.31%
Video player 58 9.88%
OPDS compatibility 104 17.72%
Just show me the results 28 4.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #136
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
I've been contacted by a manufacturer who would like to know what features are considered important in a 9.7" device. Your answers will be taken seriously, so please vote for the features you consider priorities. The poll covers both hardware and software features.

Multiple choices are possible.

Thanks !
I certainly hope you've negotiated yourself a free sample, zelda
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #137
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We want proper typography.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #138
Mad Genuis
MWHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Mad Genuis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
If this is supposed to be strictly an ereader, why make it so big? The main reason why we all love- or at least I assume we all are in agreement here (but you know what they say about when you assume)- ereaders is that they are roughly the size of a mass market (those are the small paperbacks) give or take. 9.7" is kinda pushing the limit of that convenience. There are netbooks out there that are only a couple of inches bigger.

But let's play along and assume that this is strictly an ereader. Here's my wish list, in no particular order save when they popped into my head:

SD slot. Expandable memory is a beautiful thing. This is why I upgraded to the Sony Touch when Santa gave me the Pocket ereader.

Long lasting battery. Nuff said.

Ability to plug it into an outlet. Having to charge through the computer is a pain in the rear, especially if on vacation.

Wifi capabilities. The ability to download directly onto the device is VERY appealing.

Wide variety of fonts/sizes, and more importantly to save a desired option as default.

The ability to support multiple formats. That way we get to choose where we want to get a book from. Or to read documents for work- that way we can justify getting it.

Most importantly, software that is user-friendly and easy to navigate. That could make or break a device. Who cares if it can cook the perfect pasta if you have to hire a team of lawyers to write up a contract and sign your name in triplicate plus a credit check and a DNA sample before it will cook it for you?

Being able to download software updates directly onto the device. I know that ties into the Wifi but frequent (or at least regular) updates show that they care about the product and are continually looking for ways to improve it. And it shows that they are paying attention to customer feedback.

Which brings me to my last point: Stellar Tech Support. Nothing is more frustrating than waiting on hold for hours on end just for the person on the other line to tell you to do everything you've already done 15 times before you contacted them, and then say they're out of ideas.

As I was writing all that, it occurred to me that this device may be designed for business purposes, which has a completely different set of criteria. Which I will not be discussing.

You can thank me for not making your eyes jump out of their sockets and run away screaming now.
Mad Genuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #139
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
  • Better resolution (1600x1200) and contrast. Monochrome is fine, if it means better viewability.
  • Faster. Not just "less geological", but actually fast. iPad fast.
  • Better reading software. Support good typography (both typesetting and screen rendering).
  • Good touch interface.
  • At least an attempt at ergonomic chassis design.
  • Decent web browser and WiFi

Plenty of other stuff would be nice, but these are where I hope for improvements.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #140
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Done !

Hi,
I'm waiting for a long time a 9" for A4 files. My usage is technical and for use int the work : conversion WORD -> PDF of thechnical notes.

My whishes :
- a true filesystem. I want creat my own directories to store my files, book and so one;
- read : ASCII files (sources code like C, Ruby, etc.), PDF, EPUB, images and HTML files, etc. ;
- zoom on image (or files) capability;
- a small webrowser for read the files saved with Mozilla (Sava as -> Complete Web page) or exported by the plugin "Scrapbook";
- landscape mode available;
- change the fonts, theire sizes and add some new, like Cybook;
- SD card reader;
- many bookmarks for a same file, usefull for a technical book - using "Post'it" on a file is hard
- USB access, NOT 3G, I don't like Wifi and don't use it;
- annotations will be intersting, even a virtual keyboard is enough. Some people writes "books" with theire phone via the SMS... A touch screen is only a plus for me. But I want get back the annotations via files.
- an OPEN DEVICE, to play with it - not WinCE ! The way to make developments on the device.
- the most important : a screen of a good quality.

Well, I want read files. A touch screen is only a "plus" as audio capility.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #141
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
For me, any large screen reader needs to be colour, I already have my existing sony that is ideal for novels so a larger device has to also be suitable for other things such as magazines and comics.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #142
captcrouton
Connoisseur
captcrouton has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Most of the options are things that would be useful on a tablet computer, not an ebook reader. Nearly every feature on that list is one meant for doing something other than reading.

I'm with Mr. Ploppy. I want features for reading ebooks. I don't want color. I don't want video, audio, Web browsing, email, and all the rest; I have a netbook for that. I want features to make it a better ebook reader, not a half-assed computer. I want to read books. Oh, and I hate touch screens, and will not buy one.

What do I want?
  • a good, crisp e-ink screen
  • fast page turns
  • conveniently located, well-thought-out, and ergonomic controls
  • plenty of internal memory
  • SD card capability
  • fast library scanning/updating (I hate you Sony)
  • good PDF rendering (I don't need annotation)
  • multiple options for organizing my books
  • easy book browsing
  • a favorite book list (useful for often-used reference books, for instance)
  • the ability to get to any of my thousands of books in seconds
  • a text-based interface*
  • book status marking (unread/reading/read)
  • ability to read any common ebook format and many obscure ones
  • choice of text size and font, both default and per book
    (bonus if the settings can be managed in calibre)
  • some means of easily attaching any book light (a fold-out bracket?)
In other words, I want features that improve my experience reading ebooks. That's what I'm buying the thing for. The ability to do things other than reading ebooks is meaningless to me. Having a video player on an ebook reader, for instance, makes as much sense as having a dishwasher in my refrigerator. I want the world's best ebook reader, not the world's most half-assed ebook reader/video player/Web browser/music player/cell phone/PDA/pickle jar.

* Were I an illiterate moron only capable of pointing at pictures, I wouldn't be buying an ebook reader, now, would I?
I wish I read the comments before I voted. I pretty much agree with this guy. He's articulated much of what I think, and some things I hadn't thought of.
captcrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #143
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
A small reader that can properly show PDF-files, without exploding them.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #144
htaylor
bookworm
htaylor began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 and 505
most definitely agree with worldwalker's comments, I do like my sony 505's book light however

Last edited by htaylor; 06-13-2010 at 09:44 PM.
htaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #145
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. A fast and flexible (Boolean, with "near" operator, wildcards, etc.; ideally, an accent-ignoring search would be nice, too, for searching non-English texts, so that 'e' matches 'é', etc.) search system, within a document and across selected or all documents.

2. Annotations and multiple bookmarks, separately searchable/browseable.

3. A fast text input method that makes 1 and 2 painless.

1 and 2 make the reader be better than a physical book in ways other than the mere convenience of not lugging dead trees about.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #146
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
1. A fast and flexible (Boolean, with "near" operator, wildcards, etc.; ideally, an accent-ignoring search would be nice, too, for searching non-English texts, so that 'e' matches 'é', etc.) search system, within a document and across selected or all documents.

2. Annotations and multiple bookmarks, separately searchable/browseable.

3. A fast text input method that makes 1 and 2 painless.

1 and 2 make the reader be better than a physical book in ways other than the mere convenience of not lugging dead trees about.
Great features, esp. number 1.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #147
Granvillen
Enthusiast
Granvillen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2i., K3
Senior Citizens Request

I would like two things. The ability to change the fonts and darkness on both books and PDFs. Battery life is equally important, but so is weight. I have a K2i now, and have tried the DX. Both feel good to me. The IPad is much to heavy to hold and read. I belong to a Senior Center and that is about the way most of us feel. We have a Kindle Book Club. So don't forget us old guys!
Granvillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:57 PM   #148
meika
meika began at the beginning.

Device: palm, sony xperia with Moonreader, Pocketbook 360 plus, Pocketbook 613
I want an academic ereader that can handle legacy pdfs, and "formed content" ie text books pdfs [as well as "formless content" that reflows (like novels in epub, txt, html etc).

In addition it must be able to run a reference manager, i.e. it's library functions must integrate with a reference manager which integrates with noting taking, annotations.

The key issue here is software development, something which combines the database function (ie calibre, itunes organisation of book/files) the referencing function (endnote/ zotero bibliographic function of relating/attributing authors and their ideas to certain texts/files) as well as the ability to read any file format and write (or support writing which) referencing those authors ideas in those files.

An academic ereader would kick the competition out of the water. Huge market if done properly.

I don't need the wifi/3G bookshop-on-my-ereader model.

I need to read and write not shop and read.

I need the library-card-database-and-librarybookshelves-on-my-ereader.
meika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #149
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Personally, I'd view a large screen eReader as a device that I'd use primarily for newspapers and magazines. Stuff with a little bit more format built into them. Even then, the 9.7" might be a bit small for that.

So you'd want to be able to get new content automatically, and you'd need some more advanced ways to move around between sections and articles.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:39 AM   #150
delaplane
delaplane began at the beginning.

Device: nook hd+, nook, touchpad, transformer, note
opds
memory card slot
user replaceable battery
extended battery life trumps color screen, video, etc.
delaplane is offline   Reply With Quote