Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Which eReader and formats

I would like some peoples inputs on the best eReader based on formats. I have a lot of txt, rtf and PDF files. Can I just throw them on an SD card and have the sony Reader read them? Do they need to be converted to some other format first? I run linux as my main desktop and I don't want to have to switch to windows just to use the reader. On my old treo I would throw my txt and pdfs on an SD card and read them off of that. I am hoping that is how sony's Reader works too.

On the iLiad, it seems too expensive, but it does have wifi, a larger screen and html support. Is it worth the price? what's the batter life like?

Last edited by supermighty; 09-02-2007 at 10:44 AM.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
I would like some peoples inputs on the best eReader based on formats. I have a lot of txt, rtf and PDF files. Can I just throw them on an SD card and have the sony Reader read them?
In theory at least, yes.

Quote:
Do they need to be converted to some other format first?
They don't have to be, but they'll look a lot nicer if you do convert them to Sony's LRF format, especially the text files, which will have hard line breaks in all sorts of odd places. I'd suggest that you try it and see if the native support is adequate for you.

Quote:
On the iLiad, it seems too expensive, but it does have wifi, a larger screen and html support. Is it worth the price? what's the batter life like?
The iLiad is expensive, certainly. Whether it's too expensive is a matter of personal choice. I love my iLiad. You can read for 10h or so on a battery charge - I recharge mine every 3-4 days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
How do pdfs look on the sony? can you rotate and zoom? how is the build quality of the sony. I saw one at a compUSA and it was broken.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PDFs are, of course, the worst possible choice of formats for eBooks because they are created for a fixed page size and don't "re-flow" like "real" eBook formats do. With a bit of reprocessing with various free tools you can download from this forum, my understanding is that one can achieve adequate results for PDF display, but that's one area where the larger screen of the iLiad is a big plus. General advice is to avoid PDFs like the plague if you possibly can.

Build quality of the Sony is generally excellent. Very, very few reports of problems.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
PDFs are, of course, the worst possible choice of formats for eBooks because they are created for a fixed page size and don't "re-flow" like "real" eBook formats do. With a bit of reprocessing with various free tools you can download from this forum, my understanding is that one can achieve adequate results for PDF display, but that's one area where the larger screen of the iLiad is a big plus. General advice is to avoid PDFs like the plague if you possibly can.

Build quality of the Sony is generally excellent. Very, very few reports of problems.
Once again: if it's generated the right way, PDF can get you the best typesetting for a book.

There's 2 XML formats that I would recommend though:
- Mobipocket: most popular DRMed format
- Epub: future standard for e-books and more advanced than the other formats based on XML

Don't expect LRF/BBeB to last for a very long time...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
How do pdfs look on the sony? can you rotate and zoom? how is the build quality of the sony. I saw one at a compUSA and it was broken.
PDF made to be printed on a full size page do not look all that good as they are too large for the Sony's 6" screen. But, you can use PDFLRF to fix up the PDF so they are quite good to view. This program does a wonderful job. In fact, one of the Wowio books I am reading is one that has lots of photos and it's come out quite readable after giving PDFLRF a go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:03 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Once again: if it's generated the right way, PDF can get you the best typesetting for a book.
You are of course, correct, but it's vanishingly unlikely that the original posters PDFs are correctly sized for the CyBook - they are almost certainly Letter/A4 sized.