Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #16
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And flash.

Ya.. um well sort of. Flash because you need it these days though is steve jobs managed to get people to abandon flash I won't shed a tear. I'd love to see it replaced by something less messy and bloated and with enough security to not make mall cops around the world burst out laughing.

But back on topic a cheap even if underpowered tablet that isn't locked down could be useful, at least in places where a netbook's screen is too small or for people who just don't like netbooks.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #17
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I use my pc 90% of the time for web browsing reading email etc or working with docs
So does most of my family so a device that allows you to do that it removes the need for multiple pc
I know every company is going towards cloud computing it is the future true but in the near future I think the next leap is home cloud computing. Where their is one home server that does all the hard processing wiht multiple devices that use its power.
Some tech savy might already be doing that but it is mainly being used as a business tool and has not made a true leap to home computing.
And I think android with its ability to transferred to so many different kinds of devices it
could lead the way to it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #18
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Guessing you are an Apple hater .
Hating Apple is the hallmark of nerd zealotry. And it's so 90s.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #19
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Don't forget USB ports, if the iPad had an USB port I would've seriously considered it.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I use my pc 90% of the time for web browsing reading email etc or working with docs
So does most of my family so a device that allows you to do that it removes the need for multiple pc
Only issue is a lot of that (longer e-mails, working with documents--assume you mean creating them, writing etc.) needs a keyboard.

I'm dying for a 12" or so tablet. But it would always just be a supplement to my desktop/laptop as I do need to do real work at home--writing, data analysis etc. etc.

Tablet would be for reading and marking up articles, light web surfing etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #21
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Thumbs down Yes because I hate over priced apple crap

Quote:
Guessing you are an Apple hater .
Apple is one of the all time great marketing scams proving if you can convenience suckers , I mean customers that your product is hype oops Hip , trending and generally grossly over priced people fall into this false snob/ my poop don't sink superiority complex that strips them of there common sense and sanity in one fell swoop. So there will to pay as much 50% to 100% more than they need to for a given product or service. I got tried of apple Nazi fanboy weirdos eons ago when I bought my 1st pc clone in the late 80's for 1/3 the price of apple system I was able to buy a pc , monitor and printer and had a system that handle all my pc needs for the next 5 years. I didn't need to spend x 3 as much to do my school papers and gaming. Apple from day one has been about hype , marketing and making the most insanely over priced product possible and not a superior cost effective products. Electronic devices are tools to me, whether it a desktop/laptop pc, e book reader, or the next generation 10" linux flash running /e book/ media device tablet computer I buy is going to have a good balance of performance to price ratio which instantly rules out anything made by apple. I'm cheap B*stard and refuse to fall and over pay for the false privilege owning apple anything. Sorry If that makes me a apple hater Im a Happy one

Last edited by bob1xxx; 05-28-2010 at 03:13 AM.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #22
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
You "cheap B*stard"! I bet that you don't (over)pay for Starsmucks Coffee either!

When I first saw this I thought that it was a joke.

SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #23
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Starbucks, Macbooks, and writing go pretty well together, actually.

Satirical articles and videos aside, however, I definitely remember my reaction to the fact that Apple's iPod touch was the cheapest modern internet tablet I found while searching a while back; I thought that something was very, very wrong.

Hopefully, one of these Android devices will be under $200 and by its existence restore balance to the world.

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 05-28-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Foncusion
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #24
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
The ipad is a joke it's an over sized ipod touch that you have to pay separate services for. The ipad is just another way to get Apple fanboy's to drop some change. Don't get me wrong I owned an ipod classic and liked it I just see the ipad as a waste of space is all. As for the new android tablets as long as I can read a book and do a little extra on it I'll be fine. People seem to forget that these devices aren't meant to replace your computer but be more of a fun gizmo. So to me at least it doesn't have to do anything fancy.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #25
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarwen View Post
The ipad is a joke it's an over sized ipod touch that you have to pay separate services for. The ipad is just another way to get Apple fanboy's to drop some change. Don't get me wrong I owned an ipod classic and liked it I just see the ipad as a waste of space is all. As for the new android tablets as long as I can read a book and do a little extra on it I'll be fine. People seem to forget that these devices aren't meant to replace your computer but be more of a fun gizmo. So to me at least it doesn't have to do anything fancy.

Funny that you consider an iPad a waste but an Android copycat is not a waste
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #26
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Funny that you consider an iPad a waste but an Android copycat is not a waste
Not really let's see I can pay $499 to $829 for a device that does far less than my $700 laptop or even a cheap netbook. Then I have to pay a monthly fee if I want 3G. With an android e- reader right now I just buy the device and that's it. I'm sure they too will offer 3G with fees as well at some point. But if I can pay $100 to $200 for an extra device that I'm only buying for shear enjoyment then it's not a waste to me.

If the ipad did more like allow you to write ,draw, take pictures, record video and voice record then I wouldn't consider it a waste even if it cost $1000. I'm not an Apple hater but I just don't think the ipad is worthy of the hype it's getting when it doesn't even do that much. And is nowhere near worth they want you you pay for it.

Last edited by Avarwen; 05-28-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #27
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Yes your right o.m.g. are you spying on me LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
You "cheap B*stard"! I bet that you don't (over)pay for Starsmucks Coffee either!

When I first saw this I thought that it was a joke.

Yep I drink a lot McDonald's coffee, generally fresher, and get more of it for my 1.89 and it isn't that god awful over french roast Star Boink's slop. LOL PS I have not laugh so hard in months LOL that sooooooo funny LOL!!!!!

Last edited by bob1xxx; 05-28-2010 at 11:49 PM.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #28
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarwen View Post
The ipad is a joke it's an over sized ipod touch that you have to pay separate services for. ... People seem to forget that these devices aren't meant to replace your computer but be more of a fun gizmo.
I completely agree although I wouldn't be quite so harsh. The iPad is currently an over-sized iPod with potential and some nicely displayed new apps. It also has a ready market, developer community and distribution system for the apps. And, it's a cool thing to own.

The folks who really need to be worried are the Microsofties who have been "shut out" of the mobile phone market and are now in recovery mode betting everything on Windows 7 Mobile ... when every major cell manufacturer is tripping over themselves to launch multiple Android phones. The Android OS has percolated faster than any OS I've ever seen and is now on millions of devices: it's an explosion, or a tidal wave (please choose a metaphor).

This energy and openness is completely at odds with the Apple Way and will overtake Apple in mobile environments in months. As it matures over the coming 18 months, if tablets survive as a category, it will be the Android models that far lead the market in price, features, flexibility and developer support. It's great to be iconic: your stuff ends up in the Museum of Modern Art. But hardly anyone buys a Movado watch or Bang & Olufsen CD player ....

The Android tablets that truly challenge the iPad will be those in the $250 to $400 range that outpace the iPad capabilities. As long as the category remains primarily playback oriented, iPad's average $700+ price point is the real iPad killer.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #29
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
But hardly anyone buys a Movado watch or Bang & Olufsen CD player ....
I know lots of people with Movado watches and B&O equipment .
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #30
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I know lots of people with Movado watches and B&O equipment .
Yesss ... and perhaps I do, as well. (In my case some, not lots; Movado, I'm not so sure.) But how many were bought in, say, 2009? Gartner reports 306 million personal computers sold in 2009 -- in the midst of the worst recession in living memory. I'm not convinced Movado and B&O sales were "robust" in 2009.

Fully functional Android tablets at perhaps $400 -- not $99 fad toys -- are quite likely to be thick as thieves in 12 months time. They are the category to watch as Apple attempts to extend its iPhone mobile platform.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote