Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
walter2
walter2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Trying to understand TOC concepts

Hi, first post today. I am very familiar with all kinds of text and html formats, but I confess I am defeated by the TOC concept, mainly becuase I can't seem to find any good definitions and examples to study.

I have several books written (in Word), and converting them to PDFs was easy, although they do seem to expand in size slightly due to some type size difference between word and the PDF container.

to now make epub documents from the Word files, I need to have TOC tags, but I just am not clear what I use for this inside the Word file. The Word help on its own table of contents is equally unhelpful.

can anybody point me at some clear references for this? I have bounced around dozens of pages and still don't see any clear explanations.
you can see my existing work at:
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/document.html

many thanks,
walter

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...sadd1/help.gif
walter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
What toolset are you using for PDF conversion?
If you are using Adobe Acrobat Pro (PDFMaker), then it is a matter of tweaking the settings to get what you want out of it. Although it is out of date (it's for 7, not for 9) http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/ac...officepdf.html gives fairly complete list of what you can do.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
walter2
walter2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have 7.0, and did look at that link. I have no problem with getting to the PDF stage. My problem is correctly creating the tags for and then deriving the table of contents entries for the epub TOC. that's where it all goes badly for me. I just don't see how to create these entries in the document file itself.
walter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to the site!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi walter welcome to MObileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #6
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
You may want to skip converting to PDF first, and instead convert directly from Word to ePub. Try using docx2epub from the epubgen tools available at http://code.google.com/p/epub-tools/downloads/list
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
table of contents, toc, word conversion