Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #16
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Sure is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I wasn't really trying to make it heated. I just didn't want other readers of the thread to get a misleading impression of the legimate advantages of Kindles vs. Sonys.

But for the record, is it really possible to highlight text inside a DRMed book on Kindle and save that text as a text file? Is there any restriction to how much you can highlight?
Sure is. Whether DRM'd books for Kindle or those you make yourself. You highlight and it is added to the "My Clippings" file. As to the extent, I am not sure. One thread in MobileRead suggests "40 pages" per book, but I have never verified that. I have never clipped beyond a paragraph (i.e. a full screen on the Kindle) and probably no more than maybe 5 or so pages altogether from anyone book. It clips to the My Clippings file with the title of the book and the location within it of the clipping. The Sony only takes the first 100 characters of the highlighted text in addition to any note that you may add.

Just to redress the imbalance, the Sony is a really nice machine. I have owned a 505, which I liked much better than the Kindle (other than it does not have the clipping feature). The metal casing is really nice to hold. The PRS900 I had for 3 days was beautiful. Metal case (though plastic back due to the 3G radio I presume), great screen size, came with screen cover, zipper hard case and a charger. I thought for $399 this was great value - probably in imho better value than a $299 PRS 600 (though you can get them for as low as $262 online). The screen glare for me was a killer. Touch screen was great, note taking excellent. I like the Sony bookstore too. Oh, and a removable battery on the 900 and expansion slots.

So, yep, I had to do a great deal of compromise for the Kindle, because I wanted the clipping function. Really dislike the keyboard, no expansion, no removable battery. Love the page turn keys though, think the design is good - it feels classy and not a toy, great screen clarity, nice price, good accessories.

I was hoping Sony would come up with the clippings feature, but couldn't wait on the off chance.

As to my wonderful idea about cutting and pasting from the Sony Reader desktop ? Well, one of those "also ran" ideas I suppose. Got quite excited about. Consigned to the trash bin of "don't call us, we'll call you".

I hope this balances things a "touch".

Best regards,

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #17
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I do sort of wish you would change the title of this thread... Nothing you have discussed indicate good pdfs are poor on Sony.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #18
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Done,Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
I do sort of wish you would change the title of this thread... Nothing you have discussed indicate good pdfs are poor on Sony.

Robert
Chjanged title. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #19
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
The title has not changed for me....
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #20
Prince Hal
Zealot

Yep, it just changed the title of the first post. Any one know how I can change the thread title ?