Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
afterry
afterry began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Russian to English and vice versa?

Does the Jetbook translate Cyrillic Russian into English via it's internal dictionary as well as English to Russian? AND, are there different (most current) versions of the Jetbook to watch for?

I'll explain.

If I'm reading in Cyrillic Russian and "click" a word (or whatever you do do) will the dictionary just show me the definition in English? And vice versa.

From reading, I'm pretty clear Jetbook translates from English to Russian WHILE reading. In other words, like the Kindle, you continue to read and the dictionary is integrated (no need to leave the reading, open a dictionary, search for the word, and return back to your reading.) But, I'm not clear it works in reverse: read Russian and get English definition without leaving your "what you are reading".

Please let me know soon, as I'm dying to buy one NOW!!

Last edited by afterry; 02-12-2010 at 02:31 AM.
afterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
thenitch
thenitch began at the beginning.

Yes, you should be able to do what you ask. It will definitely do English to Russian. I don't have any Russian ebooks to test, but the dictionary to give an English definition to a Russian word is there.

The dictionaries available on the jetbook are:

English
Eng-Rus
Eng-Pol
Eng-Spa
Eng-Ger
Rus-Eng
Pol-Eng
Spa-Eng
Ger-Eng

I did test the Spanish to English dictionary on one of the Spanish books that came with the Jetbook and it worked fine without having to leave the book.

Lance

Last edited by thenitch; 02-12-2010 at 02:57 AM.
thenitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterry View Post
Does the Jetbook translate Cyrillic Russian into English via it's internal dictionary as well as English to Russian? AND, are there different (most current) versions of the Jetbook to watch for?

I'll explain.

If I'm reading in Cyrillic Russian and "click" a word (or whatever you do do) will the dictionary just show me the definition in English? And vice versa.

From reading, I'm pretty clear Jetbook translates from English to Russian WHILE reading. In other words, like the Kindle, you continue to read and the dictionary is integrated (no need to leave the reading, open a dictionary, search for the word, and return back to your reading.) But, I'm not clear it works in reverse: read Russian and get English definition without leaving your "what you are reading".

Please let me know soon, as I'm dying to buy one NOW!!
yes, jetBook and jetBook-Lite have English->Russian and Russian->English dictionaries. You can highlight any word and get translation in popup window.
It has very large vocabulary for Russian languages and many synonyms.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
afterry
afterry began at the beginning.

Thank you responders, I couldn't be more excited.

Funny you mentioned Spanish, as that is one of my languages.

Thanks again.
afterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jetbook, russian