Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Is there a way to root the Nook direktly via VPN?

I was wondering. Is there any way to route the Nook itself direktly via a VPN connection using an US ip? That way I would not have to order my books outside the US first via my computer and vpn add them to my personal library and than download them on my Nook.

It would be a little more comfortable to do this directly from the Nook.

I bought a gift certificate yesterday and thought as long as I have money on my B&N account I would be albe to buy stuff directly from my Nook. But it wont work. I still have to use a vpn connection to add new stuff to my library and than I can download it to my Nook.

I wish there was a more comfortable way to do this.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
TogTogTogTog
TogTogTogTog began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
If you're downloading over the wireless from the B&N site have you tried running it through a proxy? I find http://codeen.cs.princeton.edu/ is a really good site for it.

But if you're running it through the B&N store using wireless you're out of luck I think. Unless you were able to run your wireless through a dedicated computer that ran all internet traffic through a VPN/proxy...

I get my Nook in about 5 days (live in Australia) so I'll be working on this problem soon. I might see how I can go about running the wireless with an American IP within a rooted Nook.

Last edited by TogTogTogTog; 02-07-2010 at 06:01 AM.
TogTogTogTog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by TogTogTogTog View Post
If you're downloading over the wireless from the B&N site have you tried running it through a proxy? I find http://codeen.cs.princeton.edu/ is a really good site for it.

But if you're running it through the B&N store using wireless you're out of luck I think. Unless you were able to run your wireless through a dedicated computer that ran all internet traffic through a VPN/proxy...

I get my Nook in about 5 days (live in Australia) so I'll be working on this problem soon. I might see how I can go about running the wireless with an American IP within a rooted Nook.
I haven't tried it. But in a softrooted nook you have a web browser. Has been working flawlessly for the few websites I've checked out.
Still not perfect. But it should be possible, to purchase within this browser on your nook and then download within your B&N library on nook.
One step more than intended, but at least without PC.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
I was wondering. Is there any way to route the Nook itself direktly via a VPN connection using an US ip? That way I would not have to order my books outside the US first via my computer and vpn add them to my personal library and than download them on my Nook.

It would be a little more comfortable to do this directly from the Nook.

I bought a gift certificate yesterday and thought as long as I have money on my B&N account I would be albe to buy stuff directly from my Nook. But it wont work. I still have to use a vpn connection to add new stuff to my library and than I can download it to my Nook.

I wish there was a more comfortable way to do this.
High end (professional) routers allow that. Mine does neither...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
mos -- we've tried to make openvpn client work directly on the rooted nook, however it requires a tun.ko driver which we can't properly build until B&N releases the kernel sources. The tun.ko we built just froze nook.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote