Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
qpid360
e-reading :)
qpid360 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition, Barnes & Noble nook
Hacks

How long before we start seeing them? Android should provide limitless possibilities. What types of little additions would you guys like to see added? So far, I'd definitely like the option to have the time displayed on all screens. Why it's not displayed while reading is beyond me. Sometimes I lose track of time and miss appointments and tasks so I'd like to be able to just glance up and see the time without leaving the screen I'm on. A weather applet would be nice also, more fonts, etc...
qpid360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
How long till a web browser is ported? My guess is not long at all.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:15 AM   #3
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
Spoofing BN's Wireless?

This would be an interesting hack:

Capture the data going between BN and your Nook and reverse engineer the Wireless Protocol that the Nook sends/receives in the store. Then you could create your own Web Server at home that would let you upload content you want on your Nook (ie. custom new feeds, customized newspaper sort of like Calibre does, send your EPUB books to your Nook, manage your Nook purchased book library w/o having to log into BN.com, etc).

Not sure how possible this would be, my guess is that there is some authentication/encryption involved (assuming BN did it right) so this sort of hack may not be trivial.

Anyone captured the data going in and out of the Nook yet?

Kovid, feel like taking on another additional feature for Calibre?

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
Well, looks like these guys have thought of the same thing for hacking a wireless server to feed the nook custom Daily feeds:

http://nookdevs.com/Main_Page

They have some Wireshark wireless data dumps of the queries that the Nook puts out over wireless and the responses received back from BN's servers as well as a dummy server set up for testing.

Interesting...

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
robbiet480
robbiet480 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.robbiet480 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.robbiet480 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.robbiet480 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNB View Post
This would be an interesting hack:

Capture the data going between BN and your Nook and reverse engineer the Wireless Protocol that the Nook sends/receives in the store. Then you could create your own Web Server at home that would let you upload content you want on your Nook (ie. custom new feeds, customized newspaper sort of like Calibre does, send your EPUB books to your Nook, manage your Nook purchased book library w/o having to log into BN.com, etc).

Not sure how possible this would be, my guess is that there is some authentication/encryption involved (assuming BN did it right) so this sort of hack may not be trivial.

Anyone captured the data going in and out of the Nook yet?

Kovid, feel like taking on another additional feature for Calibre?

Dave
We are shooting for that exactly with one small twist. I am currently working on a system that will let users use a web interface to load their own RSS feeds on the device. We have already totally reverse engineered the devices protocols for communications with the mothership which as you said is shown in our wireshark dumps. More info available at http://nookdevs.com/Wireshark_Dumps

Robbie
robbiet480
Founder, nookdevs.com
robbiet480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:58 AM   #6
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Would anybody else have preferred the forward button on top of the backward button? That's the hack I want right away.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was able to play with one today and I think you are right. When I held to nook my thumb naturally fell to the top arrow, the back arrow. I would like to see a hack/option to switch the function of the back and forward buttons.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #8
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
switch

It doesn't have an option to switch the forward and back buttons? My EB1150 has that, I have the top button to turn to the next page. It seems a bit counterintuitive when you think too hard about it, but it makes so much more sense in practical use.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
supermighty
Groupie

I didn't see an option for it in the settings menu. Though I might have overlooked it.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Droid has been rooted a few days ago, I know it most like a different bootrom, but does give one hope, doesn't it?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:27 AM   #11
stangri
Addict

wow, that was fast, nook has been rooted: http://twitter.com/nookdevs

can't wait for an official post from these guys.