Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
wahm2
wahm2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Convert Kindle books for use on BN Nook

I bought a few Kindle books that I have on my Ipod touch, but now am considering buying the Barnes and Noble Nook ereader. Is there anyway I can convert these to use on the Nook?
wahm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Yes, providing they are AZW ebooks (a small fraction of Kindle ebooks are in the TOPAZ format, which is locked to the Kindle).

Since AZW is essentialy MOBI, you must first remove the DRM (encryption), if any, using mobidedrm and then format shift from MOBI to ePub using Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
you must first remove the DRM (encryption)
Which is illegal in many countries, IIRC.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes, providing they are AZW ebooks (a small fraction of Kindle ebooks are in the TOPAZ format, which is locked to the Kindle).
*snippage*
Wallcraft, with all due respect, (and you know how highly I respect you), that "small fraction" happens to be made up of most of the books I want to read that I can't get anywhere else (imagine frustration here). So it's not such a "small fraction" to me. It's extremely frustrating to me when everyone discounts Topaz as being a trivial problem, when it isn't. Kindle for PC at least lets me access those titles, which I couldn't before, but I'm still stuck reading them on only on my PC or netbook, I can't format shift them to use anywhere else (like my EZ Reader). So, yes, out of all Amazon's titles, the ones with Topaz may be a "small fraction". But in my wishlist on Amazon, I'd estimate at least 3/4 of them are Topaz. Not quite so small a fraction anymore...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
So, yes, out of all Amazon's titles, the ones with Topaz may be a "small fraction". But in my wishlist on Amazon, I'd estimate at least 3/4 of them are Topaz. Not quite so small a fraction anymore...
I agree, and I have made the related point in other posts that some categories are more TOPAZ heavy than others.

No matter how many there are, the primary problem is that TOPAZ ebooks are exclusive to Amazon. So if you want that particular ebook, Amazon is the only game in town. Having Amazon create a TOPAZ ebook is convenient for publishers, but it locks out the rest of the ebook market. I have seen a few TOPAZ titles replaced by AZW, when the publisher got round to producing their own ebook, but not very many.

There are two technical hurdles to format shifting TOPAZ
  • circumventing the DRM
  • converting to another format
In both areas, there is no publicly available documentation from Amazon. The two reinforce each other, since why strip the DRM if DRM-free TOPAZ ebooks are still locked to Kindles and why try to format shift when most (all?) TOPAZ ebooks have DRM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
epub compatibility on the nook makes things a little simpler at least. After stripping drm, convert to epub and you are good to go.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
maggerbee
maggerbee began at the beginning.

Device: Aldiko for Android
Topaz

I've successfully removed DRM and converted a Kindle Topaz file to .epub via a tool I found online. If you anyone still needs info, I can send you the files I have.
maggerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
What is with all the aging thread bumps? Is google or other search engines all the sudden throwing really old MobileRead threads to the top of their search results?

Welcome to MobileRead magerbee. File conversions with DRM are a common topic around here.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggerbee View Post
I've successfully removed DRM and converted a Kindle Topaz file to .epub via a tool I found online.
TOPAZ is now included in the 3rd party Calibre DRM-stripping plugins, and I no longer even check for TOPAZ vs AZW (either is ok). For my latest thoughts on TOPAZ see Topaz Reconsidered.

As usual, see Apprentice Alf's Blog for DRM questions and answers.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
tjturtle
tjturtle began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
just got a color nook. Performed the SD card process to allow nook to supposedly read kindle books, but can't figure out where to get/which one to get - kindle app TJDH
tjturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:24 AM   #11
katia
katia began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggerbee View Post
I've successfully removed DRM and converted a Kindle Topaz file to .epub via a tool I found online. If you anyone still needs info, I can send you the files I have.
Hi maggerbee. I've been looking for a tool to convert Kindle files to .epub so that I can read them on my nook. Could you send me some files? Thanks in advance.
katia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Katia:

Google Apprentice Alf's blog for the information and tools that you will need.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
Zuly1201
Zuly1201 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Samsung Tablet, Kindle
I tried to follow the instructions on Apprentice Alf's blog but I couldn't figure it all out...the instructions are very easy to follow but when I got to the "Extract All" part that never came up?????? I might give it another try later on this week...good luck to me!! I would like to have all my ebooks in one place.
Zuly1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
Zuly1201
Zuly1201 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Samsung Tablet, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by katia View Post
Hi maggerbee. I've been looking for a tool to convert Kindle files to .epub so that I can read them on my nook. Could you send me some files? Thanks in advance.
SAME HERE!!!
Zuly1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #15
katia
katia began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thanks FF2 - I'm going to try that right now.
katia is offline   Reply With Quote