Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #31
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,293
Karma: 529619
Join Date: May 2007
Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
What are the main differences between the first and second edition of the Iliad? Thanks!
Not much, really. The second edition has a slightly higher capacity battery (15 hours vs 12 hours) and a little bit better structural support inside the case. Other than that, they're basically the same thing. Same features, same software.

They don't sell the first editions anymore though. If you're buying one used, then it probably won't have a warranty. That's the biggest thing you'll be missing. A new second edition will come with a 1 year warranty.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #32
Guybrush
Member
Guybrush began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 24
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2009
Device: vielleicht bald asus dr-900
Hi,

I just ordered my first E-Reader (Iliad Book Edition) and I will use it for reading pdf book scans. The list here sounds great. I know nothing about Linux, Shells or Flashing. I guess I have to follow the links and install 5 different programs to do the stuff listed in points 4-8. But what programs do I need to do point 1-3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post

PDF
  1. Zoom in and out of PDF's. Allows you to view documents not formatted for the iLiad's screen
  2. View PDF's in Portrait and Landscape mode. Also helps viewing documents
  3. Follow Hyperlinks and move back and forward
  4. Scribble on any PDF document. You can later merge the scribbles on your desktop.
  5. Bookmark specific pages inside a PDF.
  6. Automatically zoom and browse PDF's that are in column format. Helpful for technical articles.
  7. Use gestures to perform various functions inside a PDF.
  8. Read in full screen, without the bottom tool bar.
Sorry to bother you,
G.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #33
andreas h
Junior Member
andreas h began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 9
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
But what programs do I need to do point 1-3?
Therefore you don't need to install any further programs. These functionalities are built-in.
andreas h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #34
kees
Member
kees began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 36
Join Date: Sep 2007
Device: palm E2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
Hi,

I just ordered my first E-Reader (Iliad Book Edition)
can you cancel the order? Think they closed their Eindhoven doors , at least in the netherlands. Customerservices: closed.
kees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #35
kees
Member
kees began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 36
Join Date: Sep 2007
Device: palm E2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Not much, really. If you're buying one used, then it probably won't have a warranty. That's the biggest thing you'll be missing. A new second edition will come with a 1 year warranty.
who says? Without a lawyer there's no warranty at all. At least in Europe. You're from the usa?
kees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #36
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,293
Karma: 529619
Join Date: May 2007
Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kees View Post
can you cancel the order? Think they closed their Eindhoven doors , at least in the netherlands. Customerservices: closed.
Do you have any sources for that information, or are you just making it up?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 AM   #37
csabif
Member
csabif began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 14
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2009
Device: Sony PSP 505
Selling my Iliad

Hello there,

Anyone who is interested buying an iliad with new battery, please let me know! curtis3@mailbox.hu

Best regards,

csabif
csabif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #38
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online
 
Posts: 156
Karma: 99
Join Date: Jul 2007
Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Hi,

I see that a lot of iRex Iliad's are currently appearing on the second hand market and I'm thinking of buying one. i've seen one that the buyer claims has near to never been used (a version2).
I've always wanted one but the bancruptcy of iRex begs the question : is it smart to buy one now, even if it's a whole lot more cheap than it used to be.
And I'm not really talking about possibly breaking the screen of it, obviously there isn't going to be any hardware repairs done by iRex anymore.
I'm more interested in knowing what 'stuff' I will not be able to do anymore now that iRex has gone bust. I've read posts about iDS being down and this apparantly has an effect on what is possible.
So is it still possible to
* upgrade firmware ?
* or get to the Linux stuff aka install 3rd Party soft and 'get shell' ?

In short, what would I be buying , because for somebody without one it's really hard to understand the consequences of iRex's demise.

Last edited by kleykenb; 05-03-2011 at 03:18 AM.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #39
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online
 
Posts: 156
Karma: 99
Join Date: Jul 2007
Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
Hi,

I see that a lot of iRex Iliad's are currently appearing on the second hand market and I'm thinking of buying one. i've seen one that the buyer claims has near to never been used (a version2).
I've always wanted one but the bancruptcy of iRex begs the question : is it smart to buy one now, even if it's a whole lot more cheap than it used to be.
And I'm not really talking about possibly breaking the screen of it, obviously there isn't going to be any hardware repairs done by iRex anymore.
I'm more interested in knowing what 'stuff' I will not be able to do anymore now that iRex has gone bust. I've read posts about iDS being down and this apparantly has an effect on what is possible.
So is it still possible to
* upgrade firmware ?
* or get to the Linux stuff aka install 3rd Party soft and 'get shell' ?

In short, what would I be buying , because for somebody without one it's really hard to understand the consequences of iRex's demise.

I've got my iLiad (2nd edition) so was finally able to answer above question myself.
Turns out that my iLiad did not have the Developer Package yet and can therfefor confirm that it is still possible to get it via iRex.
Installed some 3rd party apps :
rxvm
FBreader
iPDF
x48 calculater
Could also still get the cf-card-contents.zip and set up a Compact Flash card for reflash.
Brilliant.
For all those out there looking for a big-size eReader : the iLiad is definately still one to consider with it's 8.1" screen, especially now that prices for a secondhand one have dropped below 200Euro/300$.

Last edited by kleykenb; 05-19-2011 at 09:38 AM.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All Things Halloweeney GinoXB Lounge 31 10-27-2010 07:02 PM
iPad Things the iPad Does Not Do nikkie Apple Devices 153 05-20-2010 06:42 PM
Things to do while waiting for the iLiad... grayfox iRex 9 10-11-2007 09:50 AM
Need a reader that does these things: noneother Which one should I buy? 3 05-25-2007 10:12 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.