Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Nook is a hit, reports Barnes and Noble

The Nook is a hit, reports Barnes and Noble

"It looks like the Nook, Barnes and Noble’s recently announced ereader that will be available for sale beginning on November 30, is a hit. According to Barnes and Noble’s CEO Steve Riggio, the Nook has become the bookstore chain’s fastest selling single item since it was made available for preorder on the company’s website on October 20. http://www.examiner.com/x-18821-Virg...-and-Noble ...

The Nook is Barnes & Noble Top Seller

"The Nook has become the fastest selling single item at Barnes & Noble since the retailer introduced the e-reader October 20, company CEO Steve Riggio said in Tuesday morning’s investor presentation. Last week, Amazon reported that the Kindle was its fastest selling product in both unit and dollar terms. Neither company has disclosed the number of devices that have been sold and/or ordered, but B&N.com president William Lynch told analysts the company expects to get a “big chunk” of the 900,000 e-readers that some analysts believe will be sold over the holidays. Riggio said B&N’s goal for the holidays is to make sure they have enough Nooks in stock to meet demand. B&N plans to start shipping Nooks November 30...
http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6704157.html

Last edited by Patricia; 11-01-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Quoting the entire article may violate copyright.
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
"And now here is tonight's news: The CEO of B&N announces that the Nook is a smash hit and everyone thinks it is great! In other news, The Hooded Claw's mother still thinks he is very very handsome! Film at 11."
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The Barnes and Nobles e-book device being a success can only benefit the entire industry. The Nook will go thru some growing pains, just like the Kindle did.

Please, Lord, just let it be a well thought out, well built device.

Two major retailers........BN and Amazon, combined with Sony......let the ebook price wars begin!

Still won't trade in my K1, but I wish them all the luck in the world.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
taglines
Banned
taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
but nook is lowercased, as discussed elsewhere and confirmed by jmorton there

should be written as nook, not Nook. yes or no?
taglines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
some of us are old enough to qualify for Nookie. others of you just have to settle for nook
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
"And now here is tonight's news: The CEO of B&N announces that the Nook is a smash hit and everyone thinks it is great! In other news, The Hooded Claw's mother still thinks he is very very handsome! Film at 11."

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by taglines View Post
but nook is lowercased, as discussed elsewhere and confirmed by jmorton there

should be written as nook, not Nook. yes or no?
And 'calibre' (the software program here) should also be written with a lower 'c' - but it ain't gonna happen.

Also, the 'jetBook' (also listed on this site) should NOT have a capital 'J.' - but it does!

Go figure.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I was very surprised to find that there was almost no space devoted to advertising the nook in the B&N store I visited in Indianapolis yesterday. There was a small display with brochures on the customer service counter in the center of the store, and a smaller one on the end of the sales counter. You really wouldn't think from seeing it that was a major part of their future strategy. It almost seemed like an after thought. I also overheard one of the employees trying to answer some questions about the nook to an elderly woman at the customer service center, without much success. He really didn't seem to know much about it, though that may have been more of a failing on his part than on that of B&N. Hard to say.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
though that may have been more of a failing on his part than on that of B&N. Hard to say.
Or on the part of the individual store manager.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
I was very surprised to find that there was almost no space devoted to advertising the nook in the B&N store I visited....
The devices won't be in stores for another month, so I wouldn't expect real displays until then. Though it's going to hurt if they don't have devices in the stores by Black Friday.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Or on the part of the individual store manager.
Having been a retail manager I couldn't agree more!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
The devices won't be in stores for another month, so I wouldn't expect real displays until then. Though it's going to hurt if they don't have devices in the stores by Black Friday.
I would think that they would be using all of that expensive retail space to support such a major initiative and build interest and excitement. I think you are correct, that they will regret not having them in stores by Black Friday. Mrs. Palin certainly cracked the whip on her ghost writer to get her drivel in to stores before then!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
I was very surprised to find that there was almost no space devoted to advertising the nook in the B&N store I visited in Indianapolis yesterday. There was a small display with brochures on the customer service counter in the center of the store, and a smaller one on the end of the sales counter. You really wouldn't think from seeing it that was a major part of their future strategy. It almost seemed like an after thought. I also overheard one of the employees trying to answer some questions about the nook to an elderly woman at the customer service center, without much success. He really didn't seem to know much about it, though that may have been more of a failing on his part than on that of B&N. Hard to say.
I had the exact opposite experience at my local B&N. First, there were signs plastered EVERYWHERE. I found nook-sized brochures all over the place: the customer service counter, the cafe, the register, etc. The customer service rep was VERY knowledgeable about the device and also about readers in general.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #14
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I had the exact opposite experience at my local B&N. First, there were signs plastered EVERYWHERE. I found nook-sized brochures all over the place: the customer service counter, the cafe, the register, etc. The customer service rep was VERY knowledgeable about the device and also about readers in general.
So that leads me to believe that it was more a function of the store/district that I was in, than being indicative of B&N's strategy. Perhaps the store or district manager in Indianapolis is not a believer in e-books?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Nook is a ripoff, reports Spring Design:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/02/s...over-the-nook/
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote