Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #16
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.
 
pking36330's Avatar
 
Posts: 322
Karma: 187838
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Alabama
Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Main stream media is jumping on the nook bandwagon big time, but they are neglecting to mention the facts about nook. Before you decide to buy a nook, you should consider this:

(To be fair to the nook, it is good in a lot of ways, and I posted a thread about its positives here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60099)

1. B&N's book prices are considerably higher than Amazon's.
2. The Lending feature is seriously flawed; they will have to impose a 1 or 2 lending limit or people will just lend the book over and over again.
3. Free Wi-Fi without a browser is about as useful as free internet on a clock. And you can only access B&N's overpriced store with it.
4. Very limited format support, just 3.
5. The supposedly open ePub isn't really open; it's just another new DRM that won't work with other ePub supporting devices.
6. From the videos the menu system looks pretty basic, and there's no folders support.
7. The LCD screen will no doubt affect battery life greatly.
8. Users may be locked-in to B&N's store for ebooks (meaning their current software won't import other DRM'ed ebooks; hopefully they'll update).
9. From the videos, book formatting doesn't look promising.
10. This is the first generation ereader from a company that has zero experience with ebook readers, and there are likely to be many problems and faults.
You know the government just announced that consultants that post reviews must state their affliation. I just checked your website and see you have a click-through link to the Kindle sales page which provides you a little kick-back everytime someone buys. So besides being factually wrong on much of your rant above, you are morally wrong for denigrating another product when you are, in effect, a paid consultant for a competing product.

Last edited by pking36330; 10-22-2009 at 03:11 PM.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #17
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.
 
The-eBook-Reader's Avatar
 
Posts: 190
Karma: 4637
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: United States
Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
You know the government just announced that consultants that post reviews must state their affliation. I just checked your website and see you have a click-through link to the Kindle sales page which provides you a little kick-back everytime someone buys. So besides being factually wrong on much of your rant above, you are morally wrong for denigrating another product when you are, in effect, a paid consultant for a competing product.
Actually, the website has links to Barnes and Noble too, along with virtually every other ebook reader on the current market. So there goes that theory. And if you'd looked close enough you'd notice that the cons for all ebook readers are listed, including Kindle, right on the review page. All information is provided; not just positives.

And I am not a paid consultant for any company in any way.

Factually wrong? Which ones? And show me the facts. Every single one of them is based in fact, except number 8, which B&N have yet to address fully. Surely they'll release new software before nook releases, but they've said nothing about it yet.

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 10-23-2009 at 10:38 AM.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
The Old Man
Addict
The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.The Old Man knows how to set a laser printer to stun.
 
The Old Man's Avatar
 
Posts: 382
Karma: 95637
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Device: iPad Air, Kindle DXG, PaperWhite 2
It appears there are some very nice features but the main drawback for me is how well conversion from html and doc files will install and appear in the B&N. Using Calibre to convert and install on their PC program lost all the internal hyperlinks and formatting was not that great.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #19
N0NJY
Time Traveler
N0NJY began at the beginning.
 
N0NJY's Avatar
 
Posts: 24
Karma: 32
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado Springs
Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Main stream media is jumping on the nook bandwagon big time, but they are neglecting to mention the facts about nook. Before you decide to buy a nook, you should consider this:
Considering....

Quote:
(To be fair to the nook, it is good in a lot of ways, and I posted a thread about its positives here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60099)
I'll read this later.

Quote:
1. B&N's book prices are considerably higher than Amazon's.
Can you say Price wars...

Quote:
2. The Lending feature is seriously flawed; they will have to impose a 1 or 2 lending limit or people will just lend the book over and over again.
So WHAT? I have 10,000 books in my personal library. I lend them out all the time, to whomever I wish for as long as they need them. If I purchase a book to read it's mine to burn if I wish.

Quote:
3. Free Wi-Fi without a browser is about as useful as free internet on a clock. And you can only access B&N's overpriced store with it.
Hmm no browser yet?

Quote:
4. Very limited format support, just 3.
I noted that in their list they have most formats I use, EXCEPT Windows DOC files....

Quote:
5. The supposedly open ePub isn't really open; it's just another new DRM that won't work with other ePub supporting devices.
I don't like DRM, I don't like it a LOT!

Quote:
6. From the videos the menu system looks pretty basic, and there's no folders support.
Kindle still doesnt allow folders. (not in a USEFUL way anyway)

[quote]7. The LCD screen will no doubt affect battery life greatly.[quote]

So does wifi, 3G etc.

Quote:
8. Users may be locked-in to B&N's store for ebooks (meaning their current software won't import other DRM'ed ebooks; hopefully they'll update).
Not if you can copy things over - PD etc isn't locked out.


Quote:
9. From the videos, book formatting doesn't look promising.
Haven't seen the videos yet

Quote:
10. This is the first generation ereader from a company that has zero experience with ebook readers, and there are likely to be many problems and faults.
I'm sure they have experience with using others' readers... lol
N0NJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #20
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.
 
pking36330's Avatar
 
Posts: 322
Karma: 187838
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Alabama
Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Actually, the website has links to Barnes and Noble too, along with virtually every other ebook reader on the current market. So there goes that theory. And if you'd looked close enough you'd notice that the cons for all ebook readers are listed, including Kindle, right on the review page. All information is provided; not just positives.

And I am not a paid consultant for any company in any way.

Factually wrong? Which ones? And show me the facts. Every single one of them is based in fact, except number 8, which B&N have yet to address fully. Surely they'll release new software before nook releases, but they've said nothing about it yet.
Does the eBook Reader website generate revenue? Are you the recipient of that revenue? If so, your opinion should be declared as a 'paid consultant'. If not, my apologies and I'll address the 'facts' you listed:

1. Some B&N prices are higher than Amazon, maybe even most, but you can't make a blanket statement that B&N prices are higher than Amazon and expect people to take it as fact. If B&N SciFi is cheaper than Amazon's then your fact is a fallacy for that reader.
2. Pure opinion, no fact stated. The fact from B&N's latest press call is that they will permit loaning an ebook repeatedly but only to a single friend at a time.
3. Opinion again. If I buy a Nook, the WiFi will be very valuable to me even though it will only link to the B&N store. I have a desktop, netbook, and Blackberry browser for my other internet needs. So you can't state YOUR value judgement as a fact, its just your opinion.
4. Opinion again. I think the three formats listed make if very full featured. My opinion is that a device would be limited if it didn't provide the format I was looking for even if it has 12 available formats. Another value judgement you are trying to pass off as fact.
5. Incorrect assumption stated as fact. Are you certain it won't read a non-DRM ePUB? The responses in the B&N forum indicate otherwise.
6. I agree that in the VIDEOS the menu looks basic, and it has been stated that it will not support folders. Of course the navigation fact is only true of what the videos display. The actual depth of navigation and menu options is still unknown and it shouldn't be assumed that the brief marketing video is all that's available.
7. Assumption. You don't know what power management technology or techniques are used, and though I agree with your assumption that it could have a significant adverse impact, with the right engineering that could be minimize. The fact is they are claiming 10 day duration compared to Kindle's 14 day duration on a charge, so I wouldn't condsider this a 'great' affect on battery life, but that's just my opinion and your opinion that it will 'greatly affect' battery life is valid as your opinion, but it's not a fact.
8. Flat out lie or you haven't read all the side-loading options.
9. Opinion again. It looks promising enough to me and many others, enough so that we are considering buying the device. Your value judgement may be shared by some, perhaps many, but certainly not by many more. Again, you can't pass off your value judgement as a fact.
10. Pure opinion and almost libelous. What if it comes out that the actual manufacturer of the device is the same offshore company that makes MacBooks, the Kindle, or a line of netbooks? Would you still say it's likely to have problems and faults? Your assumption of quality is not a fact.

So altogether, the ONLY fact you stated was that the video shows limited navigation. 1/2 of number 6 is a fact and the rest are not. You're batting 5%.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #21
Klaatu
Member
Klaatu doesn't litterKlaatu doesn't litter
 
Klaatu's Avatar
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 110
Join Date: Nov 2007
Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
One thing I seem to be reading again and again and again is how battery life will be affected greatly by the LCD. People want 3 weeks between charging and anything less is a dealbreaker. I have a hard time understanding this. Do these people not have access to an electrical outlet anywhere? Do they never sleep? Do they wander the land on foot, reading as they go? And if so, how are they using a computer to visit forums to tell us that 10 days (or even 5 or 6) on a charge is why the nook should be avoided?

As far as I'm concerned, as long as it lasts 2-3 days on a charge, it doesn't matter to me how much longer it'll go. It's about as important to me as the box it came in.
I recently returned from a 3 week vacation in East Africa where my access to power outlets was limited to non-existent for days at a time. The amount of time the battery in my Sony PRS505 lasted was very important to me. Admittedly I wasn't reading for hours at a time for days on end, but the fact that I can got at least 2 weeks between charges with regular reading was good to know while I was on this trip. It meant I didn't have to worry about the battery dying and not being able to charge it.

So if the Nook battery is only rated for 10 days between charges, that can be a concern to those of us that might travel for extended periods. But I haven't seen anything that says what B&N is basing this estimate on, so the battery could very well last longer.

Regards,
Michael
Klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #22
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about
 
kezza's Avatar
 
Posts: 264
Karma: 4038
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: seattle
Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
So if the Nook battery is only rated for 10 days between charges, that can be a concern to those of us that might travel for extended periods. But I haven't seen anything that says what B&N is basing this estimate on, so the battery could very well last longer.
l
Usually battery estimates are longer than reality, not shorter (unfortunately). That said, the nook is the only major ebook reader on the market with a user-replaceable battery. If I were in a position where I would have to go weeks without a power outlet, I'd just buy a few batteries and charge them up before leaving. Can't do that with a Kindle or a Sony Reader.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DoctorOhh's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,799
Karma: 12528001
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
I recently returned from a 3 week vacation in East Africa where my access to power outlets was limited to non-existent for days at a time. The amount of time the battery in my Sony PRS505 lasted was very important to me. Admittedly I wasn't reading for hours at a time for days on end, but the fact that I can got at least 2 weeks between charges with regular reading was good to know while I was on this trip. It meant I didn't have to worry about the battery dying and not being able to charge it.
A plus the Nook has for those in your circumstance is that you can take with you a second (easily replaceable) charged up battery with you on an extended trip.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-24-2009 at 12:32 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:07 AM   #24
Klaatu
Member
Klaatu doesn't litterKlaatu doesn't litter
 
Klaatu's Avatar
 
Posts: 21
Karma: 110
Join Date: Nov 2007
Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
The ability to carry extra batteries is, indeed, one of the features that has me seriously considering Nook over Kindle. Plus it's support for the EPUB format which both Nook and the Sony eReader support but Kindle does not.

Regards,
Michael
Klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DaleDe's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,536
Karma: 4597368
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
That said, the nook is the only major ebook reader on the market with a user-replaceable battery.
It is hard to call the nook a major eBook Reader on the market when it hasn't even shipped yet. Jinke likely sells many more eBook Readers and is marketed by many names including several on this forum. Netronix also sells lots of eBook Readers and has lots of brands on this forum. All of these products have user-replaceable batteries.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #26
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about
 
kezza's Avatar
 
Posts: 264
Karma: 4038
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: seattle
Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is hard to call the nook a major eBook Reader on the market when it hasn't even shipped yet. Jinke likely sells many more eBook Readers and is marketed by many names including several on this forum. Netronix also sells lots of eBook Readers and has lots of brands on this forum. All of these products have user-replaceable batteries.

Dale
By "major" I meant in terms of manufacture and distribution. I couldn't tell you how many random brands of e-ink readers exist in the world right now, and I'm sure there's one with a replaceable battery. In terms of what's available to the mass market in the US, I feel it's reasonable to include nook, even if it hasn't shipped yet, simply because we can anticipate how many stores will carry it (at least 700) and how much visibility it will have to the general public (lots).
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #27
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 43
Karma: 320
Join Date: Oct 2009
Device: none yet
NO TEXT

Last edited by gigercounter; 10-24-2009 at 09:33 PM.
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #28
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Daithi's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,418
Karma: 36205264
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
You know the government just announced that consultants that post reviews must state their affliation. I just checked your website and see you have a click-through link to the Kindle sales page which provides you a little kick-back everytime someone buys. So besides being factually wrong on much of your rant above, you are morally wrong for denigrating another product when you are, in effect, a paid consultant for a competing product.
Amazon hasn't paid referral fees on Kindle book sales for quite some time, plus his list of complaints seems to be pretty accurate to me. The price difference between Amazon and B&N is my biggest complaint -- this is especially so when you consider that B&N charges sales tax while Amazon doesn't.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:22 AM   #29
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.
 
Posts: 43
Karma: 320
Join Date: Oct 2009
Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Amazon hasn't paid referral fees on Kindle book sales for quite some time, plus his list of complaints seems to be pretty accurate to me. The price difference between Amazon and B&N is my biggest complaint -- this is especially so when you consider that B&N charges sales tax while Amazon doesn't.
According to your website- your funded by Amazon. So looks like I will be a little more prejudice in what you say.
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #30
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
kindlekitten's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,438
Karma: 44785252
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigercounter View Post
According to your website- your funded by Amazon. ROWR! arf arf arf! ROWR! So looks like I will be a little more prejudice in what you say.
you have some foaming at the mouth anti Kindle issues, so looks like I will be watching what you say!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nook Buyers Remorse ManosHandsOfFate Which one should I buy? 74 10-26-2010 09:23 PM
Classic Beware of the Nook! compusolver Barnes & Noble NOOK 32 08-14-2010 08:11 AM
K3 possible buyers questions deckoff Amazon Kindle 4 08-08-2010 09:57 PM
Ended Selling my PB301 Plus. Any buyers? emini_guy Flea Market 5 06-11-2010 05:29 AM
Australian Kindle Buyers.. bookoffers Amazon Kindle 4 04-01-2010 12:26 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.