Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
ipsg
Junior Member
ipsg began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Device: iPhone
Planning on a new ebook app--any suggestions?

greetings everyone
i'm planning to write a new ebook app that syncs between the mac and the iphone

format-wise, i'm thinking of epub, fb2 and txt
features will include online catalog (feedbook, gutenberg, any suggestions?)
a scrolling reading interface, highlighting/annotating, etc.
the most important feature will be the ability to sync between the mac and the iphone--reading progress and bookmarks are automatically updated so that when one gets home, he can choose to continue reading with his home computer

any suggestions or features that you want the most?
ipsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
ipsg
Junior Member
ipsg began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Device: iPhone
of course you'll also be able to add your own files to the iphone
ipsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter
 
Posts: 136
Karma: 142
Join Date: Jul 2008
Device: iPod Touch, iPad
I know it is page-based, rather than the scrolling interface your mentioned, but you may want to take a look at FBReader. The sources are available, so you may be able to make some use of the format handling they have already done.

I am a bit surprised we have not yet seen a port of FBReader for iPhone/iTouch.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
ipsg
Junior Member
ipsg began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Device: iPhone
thanks Bandit
i'll take a look at FBReader
ipsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
ctop
Member
ctop is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 60
Join Date: Jun 2008
Device: zaurus->palm->iPad->Sony PRS-T1
HI there,

I used FBReader on a Sharp Zaurus for quite a while, (before that, Opiereader). The killer feature for me is the way it allows you to select a word and look it up in a dictionary. For me, one of the best things about ebooks is that it allows one so easily look up stuff. Stanza can do so, but only if you are online (Im on a iPod touch and rarely connected, except for downloading stuff) and only for english, apparently.

Wish you good progress with your App.

Ctop
ctop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter
 
Posts: 101
Karma: 218
Join Date: Aug 2008
Device: iPad
support to ePub 'copier' from mac/pc to iPod/iPhone would be nice.
option to add one's own offline/online catalogue would also be great.
and if possible, support for prc/mobi?
Oh, and a good sorting/cataloguing/listing like that of Stanza.
Where are you going to put your App? On iTunes or Cydia?

cheers
tlpp
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:39 AM   #7
ipsg
Junior Member
ipsg began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctop View Post
HI there,

I used FBReader on a Sharp Zaurus for quite a while, (before that, Opiereader). The killer feature for me is the way it allows you to select a word and look it up in a dictionary. For me, one of the best things about ebooks is that it allows one so easily look up stuff. Stanza can do so, but only if you are online (Im on a iPod touch and rarely connected, except for downloading stuff) and only for english, apparently.

Wish you good progress with your App.

Ctop
Hi Ctop,
What was the format of the dictionary you were using?
In other words, where did you get those dictionary databases?
ipsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:42 AM   #8
ipsg
Junior Member
ipsg began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thianliongpatpoh View Post
support to ePub 'copier' from mac/pc to iPod/iPhone would be nice.
option to add one's own offline/online catalogue would also be great.
and if possible, support for prc/mobi?
Oh, and a good sorting/cataloguing/listing like that of Stanza.
Where are you going to put your App? On iTunes or Cydia?

cheers
tlpp
I'm planning to build something like iTunes's "manual" mode, in which you can drag the book from your book library and drop it onto the device + the option to sync the reading progress back to the desktop app
I don't have many .prc or .mobi books myself, but there's a possibility to implement an importer to import those books into the library.
The app will be released through iTunes
ipsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.
 
fugazied's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,305
Karma: 1958
Join Date: Jan 2009
Device: iPod Touch
I can also vouch for FBReader, one of the better apps out there.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
z0rr0
Member
z0rr0 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 11
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2009
Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsg View Post
Hi Ctop,
What was the format of the dictionary you were using?
In other words, where did you get those dictionary databases?
I found this topic worth writing, so i finally registered
I also think dictionary support is a requiste. I prefer ereader over stanza only because of better dict support.
As for the format there are lots of free dictionaries in stardict format to be found in the net (check http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php), so I personally believe that support for stardict would be the best. Your app should be able to look up in several dicts at the time. Bookz Pro does it quite well, but lacks support for html dicts yet - should be implemented soon according to it's developer e-mail.
Scrolling reading interface - maybe as an option? I personally prefer paging with thumb flip, as in ereader.
I keep my fingers crossed for your app - still looking for perfect one
Bye
z0rr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:26 AM   #11
ipsg
Junior Member
ipsg began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rr0 View Post
I found this topic worth writing, so i finally registered
I also think dictionary support is a requiste. I prefer ereader over stanza only because of better dict support.
As for the format there are lots of free dictionaries in stardict format to be found in the net (check http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php), so I personally believe that support for stardict would be the best. Your app should be able to look up in several dicts at the time. Bookz Pro does it quite well, but lacks support for html dicts yet - should be implemented soon according to it's developer e-mail.
Scrolling reading interface - maybe as an option? I personally prefer paging with thumb flip, as in ereader.
I keep my fingers crossed for your app - still looking for perfect one
Bye
Noted--thanks for your suggestions
ipsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
Starganderfish
Junior Member
Starganderfish began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2009
Device: iPhone 3G
Sounds great. For me the key factors all relate to managing a large ebook library.
Being able to load multiple ebooks in one go is essential - clicking and dragging hundreds of files one at a time is a nightmare. Calibre can apparently do this (it's a desktop library manager, not an actual reader though).
Secondly is managing the large list of titles on your phone. Touch screen scrolling is cute but it's a pain when you want to read "z for Zachariah" and you need to scroll all the way to the bottom of the list to find it. Bookz has an alphabetical list on the side of the screen (like the iPhone contacts directory) that let's you jump straight to a particular letter in you book list.
If you can produce an ebook program that can read multiple formats and solve these library management issues you'll be onto a winner.
Starganderfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #13
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough
 
bthoven's Avatar
 
Posts: 452
Karma: 544
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Device: Kindle'r 3, iPhone 3Gs, iPad 2, Galaxy Tab Wifi
Builtin dictionary lookup is a must for me (especially for non-English speaking people).

Ability to jump to a title by first alphabet selection is also a must.

Full-content eNews retrieval feature like the desktop Mobireader will also make your software a killer one.

Other features are minor to me.

Thanks
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ebook, iphone, mac, sync

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suggestions needed for ebook reader metal1369 Alternative Devices 4 09-11-2010 01:50 AM
Any art/design ebook/application suggestions? kakacaca Apple Devices 3 07-28-2010 02:18 PM
iPhone eBook App mark_pw Other formats 2 04-26-2010 08:51 PM
Getting an Ebook reader in NZ? suggestions? Sinn Which one should I buy? 5 11-11-2009 01:08 AM
eBook publishing suggestions... tcv Workshop 1 12-16-2006 08:10 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.