Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 01:53 AM   #256
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC Flyer; BBMini; Sony PRS650; Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Now you can translate this list
That's what I was thinking too
Sweetpea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #257
barkinglemur
barkinglemur began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
A question: has anyone tried purchasing and downloading ebooks from Barnes and Noble from outside the US? I know it's not fictionwise and this is primarily about fictionwise, but I browsed the site the other day and saw they had a lot of books I want at stunningly cheap prices.
barkinglemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #258
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad 2|iPhone 4|Sony 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinglemur View Post
A question: has anyone tried purchasing and downloading ebooks from Barnes and Noble from outside the US? I know it's not fictionwise and this is primarily about fictionwise, but I browsed the site the other day and saw they had a lot of books I want at stunningly cheap prices.
I tried a couple of days ago - B&N being the only place I could find the book - and I tried with a US address, but unfortunately they check the actual credit card address (or at least the country it was issued). That is, it was checked after the purchase had been processed, and I wasn't charged.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #259
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I tried a couple of days ago - B&N being the only place I could find the book - and I tried with a US address, but unfortunately they check the actual credit card address (or at least the country it was issued).
The approach that has the most likelihood of succeeding is to use an Entropay Card. These cost 5% of the money you add to the card, but you can use any address you want.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #260
barkinglemur
barkinglemur began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
I've been hearing a *lot* here about the entropay card. I guess that's the way to go with B&N although it's going to mean stripping ereader books for the first time (done it with mobipocket and .lit, but not with ereader format. Yet). There are a great deal of books on the B&N site I badly want for only ten dollars. Oh, hold me back if I can get my mitts on them (and strip them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The approach that has the most likelihood of succeeding is to use an Entropay Card. These cost 5% of the money you add to the card, but you can use any address you want.
barkinglemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #261
Matt Horne
Matt Horne began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Well I tried to buy a book using a US address - but a Uk Mastercard. The Order went through but has this on the email :

WARNING: The billing address you provided did not
match the billing address of your credit card. This could
affect your ability to make future purchases. To update your
billing address on your account, go to: <link>

So I guess it might work then they may lock you out ?
Matt Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #262
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Touch and Nook Color
Angry Warning: Backup your Fictionwise books now!

I just noticed that several books on my Fictionwise bookshelf now have the extra creditcard verification that was introduced with the new Dan Brown novel. You cannot download the books without an USA credit card.

If they are going to do this for all the region restricted books on your bookshelf, it means that soon you can no longer download the region restricted books that are on your bookshelf
So download and backup your books now before it's too late!

I have tried my Entropay card. But unfortunately even that card is not accepted.

Last edited by geertm; 09-17-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added Entropay info
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #263
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
I just noticed that several books on my Fictionwise bookshelf now have the extra creditcard verification that was introduced with the new Dan Brown novel. You cannot download the books without an USA credit card.

If they are going to do this for all the region restricted books on your bookshelf, it means that soon you can no longer download the region restricted books that are on your bookshelf
So download and backup your books now before it's too late!

I have tried my Entropay card. But unfortunately even that card is not accepted.
So now you can't even use micropay to buy books with any more? That would be F***ed up, and I would perceive it as something pretty close to theft (even though they obviously won't see it that way).

Last edited by zerospinboson; 09-17-2009 at 04:21 PM.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #264
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
So now you can't even use micropay to buy books with any more? That would be F***ed up.
I expect it will work the same as with the new Dan Brown novel.
All the workarounds to buy a region restricted book will probably still work. But because of the new creditcard check you will not be able to download the book from your bookshelf.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #265
Mnementh
Zealot
Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 4 NT & Kobo Aura
It's still working fine for me with an entropay card and a US address.

I've just purchased a restricted book and downloaded it with no problems.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #266
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
It's still working fine for me with an entropay card and a US address.

I've just purchased a restricted book and downloaded it with no problems.
The new creditcard verification is part of the bookshelf. Check you bookshelf for books where the downloadlink is replaced by a creditcard verification link.
This verification appears do to a real country check, and without verification you cannot download the book.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #267
Mnementh
Zealot
Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.Mnementh shines like a glazed doughnut.

I downloaded the book from the bookshelf.

I don't see this credit card verification link, the bookshelf looks as it always has done.

Entropay doesn't link an address to the card so you can use any address and it will work, so I just put in a US address and evrything goes through fine including micropay purchases using the entropay card for encryption.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #268
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.zerospinboson once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
I downloaded the book from the bookshelf.

I don't see this credit card verification link, the bookshelf looks as it always has done.

Entropay doesn't link an address to the card so you can use any address and it will work, so I just put in a US address and evrything goes through fine including micropay purchases using the entropay card for encryption.
See this:
Old 09-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #269
Mnementh
Zealot

Ahhh I see now. I'm not getting that all of mine look like your top two and all of the books I've purchased are restricted (so much for only 10% of books being affected pffft).
Old 09-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #270
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."

Quote:
Ahhh I see now. I'm not getting that all of mine look like your top two and all of the books I've purchased are restricted (so much for only 10% of books being affected pffft).
The question foremost in my mind is whether it will stay that way......

Last edited by zerospinboson; 09-17-2009 at 04:55 PM.