Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #46
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Click the link in his siggy to view his art. There's a punk rock llama with dyed zebra stripe hair.
fiou, i thought i was going crazy for a minute there...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #47
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Well, it was the "love your llama" part of the post that was so abuseable I had to restrain my self yet again
Don't restrain, it's practically the weekend!

EDIT: That's me doing the happy dance, and Tim hopping around like a snowman on crack

Last edited by DixieGal; 09-11-2009 at 10:31 AM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #48
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hey Kenny! Love your llama, you should use it for an avatar!

Thanks. Maybe I will. I had a deer with his tongue sticking out for a while.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-11-2009 at 08:55 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #49
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Wow. A book. With links. Why didn't I think of that?

Why isn't a television show called a "video novel"? Why isn't a movie called a "celluloid novel"? because there are significant differences between reading text and watching video.
Actually, there is a pretty mature genre of 'games' called "visual novels" which is quite prominent in Japan. I quoted 'games' because most of them include very little gameplay and mostly consist of reams after reams of text over graphical backgrounds (some of them have more text than the Lord of the Rings trilogy).
While probably the majority of them are so-called "hentai games", there are quite a few "clean" works which can be as good as any book. Probably the most well-known example outside Japan is Ace Attorney series (although some think they include a bit too much of gameplay for a "true" visual novel). The entry level is low enough that there are plenty of freeware games from independent authors. (A few have been translated into English, for example True Remembrance or Narcissu.)
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #50
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
So many MANY ways to abuse that post....

Must... restrain... self....

And if you think that one was hard, what about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFStewart View Post
Wow, why do they put up such barriers? You'd think for a new product they'd use penetration pricing, or offer a free sample to get you hooked. Not smart.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #51
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
no, they're publishers. if they can find a way to annoy potential readers through inconvenience or high price, they never hold back. then when these annoyances keep us from buying, they blame piracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
they want 40$ for this thing ???? are they high ????
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #52
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
no, they're publishers. if they can find a way to annoy potential readers through inconvenience or high price, they never hold back. then when these annoyances keep us from buying, they blame piracy
Old 09-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #53
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
I have read it through just now. I thought it is a novel idea... something new... give it a chance...
The story is hollywood in a book, unbelievable, clicheed, over the top. And the videos are just an annoyance, I have to go to the computer watch it, get upset, because style and story don't fit the rest. The videos sometimes tell one story, while the book tells another story.
Well I gave it a chance, can't do more than that.

What irked me most, was how unrealistic it was. I wish they would have stopped at some point and turned on common sense.

Ciao
Sven
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #54
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by opitzs View Post
I have read it through just now. I thought it is a novel idea... something new... give it a chance...
The story is hollywood in a book, unbelievable, clicheed, over the top. And the videos are just an annoyance, I have to go to the computer watch it, get upset, because style and story don't fit the rest. The videos sometimes tell one story, while the book tells another story.
Well I gave it a chance, can't do more than that.

What irked me most, was how unrealistic it was. I wish they would have stopped at some point and turned on common sense.

Ciao
Sven
Amazing, all that talent. All that production money and cost and they can't do something innovative and 'good.'

Thanks for the review.
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #55
balletguy
balletguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Setting the record straight: Though I am currently enjoying Level 26ark Origins immensely, I must point out that Dutton/Penguin Group falsely claims it as 'the first digi-novel'. Patrick Carman's Skeleton Creek (Jan, 2009) was out 9 months earlier.
balletguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #56
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
1st post, bumping a 3 year old thread and having the exact details of the book released.

Welcome to the board Patrick Carman ..
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #57
balletguy
balletguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
3 yr old thread

Hope that was appreciation. There's no time limit on justice. Especially when an 'author' is known for a lousy t v show while the real author gets totally slighted by all powerful publishing publicity department . Also Patrick Carman has already completed 6 digi-novels (2 series). Of course I suppose some will denegrate his books as 'kids' books. Good read is a good read. And true innovator is true innovator.
balletguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #58
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I don't see anything innovative about combining text and video. It happens on the web all the time. Some people look at books and say "That's great, but where's the video?" That's like going to a park, being in the middle of nature, far away from the noise of cars and thinking "That's great, but what this needs is a water park and bumper cars and some roller coasters!" I have nothing against water parks, bumper cars or roller coasters, but they have their place. If I want video, there's TV. It's been three years, and people aren't exactly lining up to have books with embedded video.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote