Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #46
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Must have been quite a rowdy party! Hooligans?
I think we called them terrorists and took their money...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:10 PM   #47
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Yvan - Why is Montreal too small for an MR meetup? Didn't they just manage to pull off the World SciFi convention? As did Toronto a few years earlier... But I'd rather go to Europe, or maybe meet them half-way in Iceland... Who do we have there?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:38 AM   #48
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I think we called them terrorists and took their money...
Wrong! They took our money first and we then demanded our money back...

I vote for either London or Paris. We'll need a place with excellent public transport, is easy to reach from all over the world (so, not having to switch planes a dozen times...) and can host a lot of people.

So, my place doesn't fit the bill, we don't have public transport here, only a small bus that goes every two hours and can fit 12 people. And it's about a 3 hour drive from Schiphol (thought the train connection to the nearest station is perfect)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 AM   #49
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Ok, well, since I'm not seeing a lot of support for Hawai'i (I just don't get it ), I will vote for Iceland! Or Seattle. Or Germany. Or anywhere else I probably won't be able to pay for the travel, but would like to go anyway....

but see what you're missing?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 AM   #50
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Wrong! They took our money first and we then demanded our money back...
The UK did actually use anti terrorism laws (well, the Anti-Terrorism, Crime and Security Act) to take control of the assets of an Icelandic bank. It was done to protect the investments of UK residents in it, as the bank was having problems at the time. Unsurprisingly, the implied link to terrorism and the bank concerned going on a list of proscribed regimes (alongside al-quaeda) upset one or two people... (it later got re-categorised)

Linky-> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7688560.stm
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #51
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
The UK did actually use anti terrorism laws (well, the Anti-Terrorism, Crime and Security Act) to take control of the assets of an Icelandic bank. It was done to protect the investments of UK residents in it, as the bank was having problems at the time.
Hmm, our government didn't go that far! But the fact remains, they still took our money and then didn't want to return it...

and GraceKrispy, I'd love to come to Hawaii, but I bet it's horribly expensive...

(just checked, over €1000 per person, just to fly there!)
Old 09-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #52
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Yvan - Why is Montreal too small for an MR meetup? Didn't they just manage to pull off the World SciFi convention? As did Toronto a few years earlier... But I'd rather go to Europe, or maybe meet them half-way in Iceland... Who do we have there?
You're right, it is big enough, especially if our conference activities are plentiful. There's an excellent transit system, half of it underground; during winter some people can go from home to work with just a street to cross without the use of winter clothing. There's also underground shopping. There are a few museums, great festivals during summer time, we could rent transport for nature outings. What I meant is that three days in Montreal and you've done most there is to do. I think those activities are important because after the conference activities we'll go out together and have fun.
Did I mention good eating? Yeaaaah!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #53
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
You're right, it is big enough, especially if our conference activities are plentiful. There's an excellent transit system, half of it underground; during winter some people can go from home to work with just a street to cross without the use of winter clothing. There's also underground shopping. There are a few museums, great festivals during summer time, we could rent transport for nature outings. What I meant is that three days in Montreal and you've done most there is to do. I think those activities are important because after the conference activities we'll go out together and have fun.
Did I mention good eating? Yeaaaah!
Hmm, but I find that the problem of most cities... I grow bored of them after a day... So, the town must also be in a gorgeous country side.

I vote for Bern or Basel!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #54
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I know there are a lot of winter lovers out there, but there are a lot of winter nonlovers, as well. I personally would not want to go anywhere just for the snow and since I have not nor never will go snow skiing, a location that boasts skiing as a main attraction leaves me cold (pun intended ).

Since our fearless leader hails from Switzerland, how about a meet-up in that fair country, possibly in the summer or fall when the weather is moderate?

As a complete non-traveller, I know nothing about any other countries than my own or anything about visas, so my suggestions might not be the best. Having said that, Washington, D.C. has a great transportation system and plenty of places that could hold a large group of people. It's also an incredible city to visit with a great deal to see, particularly the Smithsonian Institute. Although, to be honest, I wouldn't mind going somewhere new.

Just out of curiosity, I know we have a lot of members but how many people do you all think would actually attend, particularly members outside of the Llounge?
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #55
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Since our fearless leader hails from Switzerland, how about a meet-up in that fair country, possibly in the summer or fall when the weather is moderate?

Quote:
I vote for Bern or Basel!
Same minds, same great ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Just out of curiosity, I know we have a lot of members but how many people do you all think would actually attend, particularly members outside of the Llounge?
Outside of the lounge? There is an outside?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #56
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
ugh! not DC!!!!

I would extremely seriously consider going to a meet up, especially if I get the promotion I am expecting!

hmmmm saying it probably queered the deal
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #57
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
and GraceKrispy, I'd love to come to Hawaii, but I bet it's horribly expensive...

(just checked, over €1000 per person, just to fly there!)
And now you see why I can never leave
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #58
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Singapore!

It's kinda central, lots to do and there is a heap of lurkers here that would jump at the chance of meeting MR's and their devices........
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:37 AM   #59
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
SNOW???!! Did I read SNOW in this thread?! Sheesh, do you want to wear woolly socks while we're meeting? If I can't have Germany, I want a HOT place (or at least 20°C, pretty please).
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #60
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
And now you see why I can never leave
And now you see why I'd never want to leave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
SNOW???!! Did I read SNOW in this thread?! Sheesh, do you want to wear woolly socks while we're meeting? If I can't have Germany, I want a HOT place (or at least 20°C, pretty please).
Woolen socks? I never wear woolen socks, not even for skiing! (ok, they do contain some wool, but more silk...)