Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
oceano10000
Junior Member
oceano10000 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2009
Device: none
SmartQ 5 question...

I would like to know a couple of things...
1.) How long is the battery life?
2.) Does it have flash support/youtube support.
3.) Does it have external speakers?
4.) Is it hard to type on?

Very simple questions. Thank you.
oceano10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter
 
Posts: 270
Karma: 112
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England
Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceano10000 View Post
I would like to know a couple of things...
Couple = two
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceano10000 View Post
1.) How long is the battery life?
How long is a piece of string? Depends on what you use it for, maybe 5-6 hrs of 'average' use
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceano10000 View Post
2.) Does it have flash support/youtube support.
Out of the box = No
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceano10000 View Post
3.) Does it have external speakers?
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceano10000 View Post
4.) Is it hard to type on?
Not really, depends on how good you are with a stylus and an on-screen keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceano10000 View Post
Very simple questions. Thank you.
NB. Most of the above could have been found by searching the forum
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 08-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
oceano10000
Junior Member
oceano10000 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2009
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
NB. Most of the above could have been found by searching the forum
Hmm well thanks for making me feel lazy. Ha. Well thank you for the answers, but one more really, you can't use your fingers to type on the touchscreen? I really hoping you'd be able to...and it looks like you would be able to.
oceano10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
ChineseGadgets
Member
ChineseGadgets began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 23
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2009
Device: SmartQ 5
There is a finger friendy keyboard on the SmartQ 5, but it still isn't really finger friendly, it's clearly designed with the larger SmartQ 7 screen in mind.

It doesn't do Flash, but it is possible to play FLV files from youtube. It's really smooth, although it's quite clumbersome to download these until somebody fixes a good userscript for Midori.

The external speaker is absolutely horrible though. You don't want to watch a movie or listen to music that way. I'll try to have my full review up today.
ChineseGadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
oceano10000
Junior Member
oceano10000 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2009
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGadgets View Post
There is a finger friendy keyboard on the SmartQ 5, but it still isn't really finger friendly, it's clearly designed with the larger SmartQ 7 screen in mind.

It doesn't do Flash, but it is possible to play FLV files from youtube. It's really smooth, although it's quite clumbersome to download these until somebody fixes a good userscript for Midori.

The external speaker is absolutely horrible though. You don't want to watch a movie or listen to music that way. I'll try to have my full review up today.
Thank you, i don't mind the small keyboard at long as its a little finger friendly. Youtube is good, really whats so horrible with it? I would probably only use it with earphones anyways. And thanks, ill read the review when you have it up. Is it as good as a regular phone speaker?
oceano10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
ChineseGadgets
Member
ChineseGadgets began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 23
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2009
Device: SmartQ 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceano10000 View Post
Thank you, i don't mind the small keyboard at long as its a little finger friendly. Youtube is good, really whats so horrible with it? I would probably only use it with earphones anyways. And thanks, ill read the review when you have it up. Is it as good as a regular phone speaker?
Here's the review

You could use one finger to type, but it's way to slow and you're more likely to make mistakes. Don't even think about blind typing or thumb typing. Just use the stylus, it works fine.

The problem with youtube is that Flash isn't supported so you'll have to download the video files using other methods. It's not like normally where you just press play.

The speaker is worse than a decent phone speaker. It's less loud and sounds really tinny. Not that I think it's a real problem. I use the SmartQ 5 mostly to browse the web and read e-books/comic books.
ChineseGadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery life, questions, smartq, smartq 5, speakers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions for A81/W1060, SmartQ 7, and SmartQ V7 owners bryanzs Alternative Devices 36 05-27-2010 11:46 AM
Another SmartQ 7 Question Kristinaj7 Alternative Devices 0 01-04-2010 04:24 PM
SmartQ V7 M0zza Alternative Devices 23 12-13-2009 01:20 AM
OS X on SmartQ V7 crlock Alternative Devices 0 12-07-2009 11:08 AM
A question about SmartQ 7 reliability [poll] heron61 Alternative Devices 0 10-22-2009 03:24 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:26 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.