Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #496
wonderboy
Enthusiast
wonderboy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Smart Q7, iPod Touch, Blackberry 8820
Mine is currently showing to be in Anchorage, Alaska.
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #497
Project
Enthusiast
Project began at the beginning.

Device: none
I like a lot my SmartQ7, even if there are problems with it. The biggest one, right now, is that the pdf reader crash (i.e. it just close itself) after a bit of reading pdf files with several images inside (i.e. magazines).
One of the magazine I'm subscribed to gives readers pdf files of several resolution (i.e. 300 dpi, 96 dpi) and I've found that I can read 96 dpi without the reader crashing, even if the last number was 120 pages with lots of images.
Does someone knows a software that will batch process pdf files reducing the dpi size?
I would prefer a mac software, but I have a pc too.

Thanks in advance

Project

Rome, Italy
Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #498
del1357
del1357 began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7 (prospective)
Deleted.

Last edited by del1357; 07-20-2009 at 04:26 PM.
del1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #499
del1357

Deleted.

Last edited by del1357; 07-20-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #500
Melf
Enthusiast
Melf began at the beginning.

Device: TTX, SmartQ7
Quote:
Originally Posted by del1357 View Post
Plus I now get the awesome message "Xsession: warning: unable to write to /tmp; X session may exit with a error" every time that I start it up - anyone know anything about that, as well?
There is usually a folder called tmp in Linux used for temporary files. This error seems to indicate, that xserver (the program responsible for the gui) is unable to write its temporary files to this folder. So, maybe there are wrong permissions set for /tmp or it is not properly mounted (if there is some volume mounted as tmp - ramdisk, folder on the card ?).
Melf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #501
del1357

Apologies all, my previous post was overly long-winded, so here's the problem more concisely:

I've tried 3 different SD cards (1x1gb micro sd and 2x2gb standard sd - all three official products) and the Q7 won't fully recognize any of them, giving me the message "Init SD fail" each time that I use GPI.

The 2gb sd cards, though, did appear on the Q7 screen as"disk", and I could open the (empty) folder fine...

I'm most interested in getting comics to run, so I've tried installing Python, as Cold Sun says, but even when I try to do this with the file on the Q7 itself (not the SD card), GPI just gives me the "Init SD fail" message again, even though there's no SD card in the slot.

Any help much appreciated!

Last edited by del1357; 07-20-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #502
del1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melf View Post
There is usually a folder called tmp in Linux used for temporary files. This error seems to indicate, that xserver (the program responsible for the gui) is unable to write its temporary files to this folder. So, maybe there are wrong permissions set for /tmp or it is not properly mounted (if there is some volume mounted as tmp - ramdisk, folder on the card ?).
Melf, thank you for this. I'm a complete novice, though, so it's a little over my head. The "Init SD fail" message does also say "Mount file fail" if that means anything to you?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #503
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Del,

Do you have a computer with an SD Card reader? If so, please format the SD card with FAT32. Make sure you power the Q7 OFF before installing the card again and then insert card and power it on.

If you don't have a reader, see if you can access the contents of the card through the PCFileman application. There is a troublesome file that sometimes causes problems called SOFT.IMG - be sure you delete that file. Shut your Q7 off and turn it back on with the card inserted. Let me know if that works. I've also got a 32GB SD card that just won't work and I get that same error message every time. Turns out that card was defective though. My SanDisk 2GB SD cards work perfectly. Just FYI.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #504
del1357

ColdSun,

Thank you for this.

Here's what I did: for both of the 2gb SD cards, I bought them in Best Buy, opened them and used a PC in the store to format them as FAT32 (I have a Macbook, so figured it was easier to do it like that).

I didn't see the soft.img file, but perhaps it was hidden. Either way, I still got that "Init SD fail" message for both of the FAT32 cards.

I've now downloaded Python and Comix to the Q7 itself. Do you know why I can't just run them from there (GPI gives me the same message even if there's no SD card in the slot!)?

I'll try again tomorrow with another SD card.

Last edited by del1357; 07-21-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #505
dra_phantom
dra_phantom began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
Use Evince (PDF Reader to Open cbz and cbr files)

Try using Evince to open the your comic files. it's not as good as comix but it works
dra_phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #506
yukop4
yukop4 began at the beginning.

Device: smartq7
help needed with loading apps

i tried to load streamtuner on my smartq7 but now have a problem where i get a permission denied error message when i try to load an app in gdebi-in terminal it says streamtuner needs to be reinstalled each time i try to load other apps-i went into var/lib/dpkg/info and deleted stream tuner scripts but it still will not work

any help good
yukop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #507
del1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by dra_phantom View Post
Try using Evince to open the your comic files. it's not as good as comix but it works
dra_phantom, thank you for the help, but I can't even get that far now.

Just to make the situation with my Q7 even better, the keyboard is now playing up - whenever I try to type anything (such as a website address), the keyboard makes whatever program I'm using quit!

What is that about?
Old 07-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #508
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
If I were you, I'd try reflashing the firmware.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #509
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Yes, flash it to firmware 4.0 IMHO.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #510
yukop4
yukop4 began at the beginning.

Device: smartq7
help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Yes, flash it to firmware 4.0 IMHO.
hi coldsun

i flashed it to version 4

can i make a suggestion to everyone

get the chinese manual translated to english-it will save you a lot of trouble

anyway i have a question

i flashed my device but now there is in the upper right hand corner covering the icons a bar with more icons -chinese letters and a picture of a penguin-how dop i remove this icon

secondly can you help me load streamtuner and streamripper
these are must have apps
yukop4 is offline   Reply With Quote