Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
X. Trapnel
Enthusiast
X. Trapnel began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad (broken screen! cry), x61t tablet
Question "Undo" for iPDF / notes? & other sundry questions

Apologies if this has already been addressed ad nauseum - I didn't pick up anything obviously relevant when I did a search for "undo", and I tried to look for answers to the other stuff too.

Anyway. I got my iLiad about two weeks ago, am totally loving it. A few questions, though, about what's possible.

1. Has anyone experimented with an "undo" command in either iPDF or the pure scribbling program? Maybe I'm just a lot messier than you folks, but I find myself having to erase a lot! I know that having a pen-gesture for "undo" helped make the tablet PC note-taking application Xournal MUCH better.

2. Is there an easy way to disable the folder buttons while in, e.g., the scribbling program? I keep accidentally hitting "Notes" with the side of my palm! I imagine it requires recompiling it, etc., but is it doable for someone pretty new to Linux stuff?

3. I don't yet have a CF or SD or MMC card, and I'm into cameras or anything, so I don't know much about the merits of the various media. Is one format generally considered better than the other, whether in terms of price or speed or some other consideration?

4. Has anyone managed to edit the wireless settings to make it compatible with WPA (1 or 2) Enterprise (the sort that asks for user name & password, rather than just password)?

5. I tried setting up a SAMBA share on my Xubuntu tablet, without success. Again, I'm pretty new to Linux, and I've never used Samba before, so I'm probably making some stupid mistakes, but what general configuration settings ought I be using? (I saw someone posted the settings for the particular share, so I don't think that was the problem; I'm talking about the overall server settings).

Ok, 3 and 5 don't really belong in this forum. Sorry!

Thanks for any help you can give, and thanks to everyone for providing these great mods!
X. Trapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
lowie
lowie began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by X. Trapnel View Post
4. Has anyone managed to edit the wireless settings to make it compatible with WPA (1 or 2) Enterprise (the sort that asks for user name & password, rather than just password)?
I have managed to set up a WPA-EAP wireless connection. The iLiad uses wpa_supplicant (http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/), so most type of wireless connections should be possible, but are not accessible from the iLiad front end. What I did was the following:

- request shell access from iRex
- install a terminal emulator (giving you a command line), you can find one somewhere in this forum (I think it is mrxvt, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8569)
- on your iLiad adjust the script /usr/sbin/wireless.sh such that for a WPA connection with a specific ssid an alternative wpa_supplicant.conf file is loaded (next step)
- create your custom wpa_supplicant.conf with the settings supplied by your system administrator; of course these are not uniform. The documentation of wpa_supplicant will help here.
- optionally (I had to do this), copy a certificate in (e.g.) /etc/certs/

Then, within the connection manager of the iLiad (the front end, not the terminal) you have to make a wireless WPA connection, specifying the correct ssid, and a bogus password. The latter will not be used. I replaced the following part in the script /usr/sbin/wireless.sh:

Code:
                 # Generate supplicant config file in /tmp
                 echo "# Auto-generated WPA Supplicant Configuration" > /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                 echo "ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                 echo "ctrl_interface_group=0" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                 echo "network={" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                 echo "  ssid=\"${ssid}\"" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                 echo "  key_mgmt=WPA-EAP WPA-PSK IEEE8021X" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                 echo "  pairwise=CCMP TKIP" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                 echo "  group=CCMP TKIP" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                 echo "  psk=\"${key}\"" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                 echo "  scan_ssid=1" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf 
                 echo "}" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                 # cat /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                 wpa_supplicant -Dmarvell -i$ethIf -c/tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
with this:

Code:
                 case "${ssid}"
                 in
                     "YOURSSID")
                         # YOURSSID ssid
                         # start wpa_supplicant with custom/static config file
                         wpa_supplicant -Dmarvell -i$ethIf -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Bw # -dd
                         ;;
                     *)
                         # default mode
                         # Generate supplicant config file in /tmp
                         echo "# Auto-generated WPA Supplicant Configuration" > /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                         echo "ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                         echo "ctrl_interface_group=0" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                         echo "network={" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                         echo "  ssid=\"${ssid}\"" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                         echo "  key_mgmt=WPA-EAP WPA-PSK IEEE8021X" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                         echo "  pairwise=CCMP TKIP" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                         echo "  group=CCMP TKIP" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                         echo "  psk=\"${key}\"" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                         echo "  scan_ssid=1" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf 
                         echo "}" >> /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                         # cat /tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf
                         wpa_supplicant -Dmarvell -i$ethIf -c/tmp/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
                         ;;
                 esac
You need to change YOURSSID with, well, your ssid! You also need to be sure that wireless.sh is an executable file, or else it will not start. Also, make a backup of you original wireless.sh.

Perhaps there is someone on the forum who is able to automate this. That would be great.
lowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
lowie
lowie began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v.2
Quote:
1. Has anyone experimented with an "undo" command in either iPDF or the pure scribbling program? Maybe I'm just a lot messier than you folks, but I find myself having to erase a lot! I know that having a pen-gesture for "undo" helped make the tablet PC note-taking application Xournal MUCH better.
I agree, especially because the current erase feature is sort of an undo feature, but in addition you have to point at the corresponding action you want to erase. You cannot erase a part of a drawing action.
lowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
X. Trapnel
Enthusiast
X. Trapnel began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad (broken screen! cry), x61t tablet
Thanks!
X. Trapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
andreas h
andreas h began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Thumbs down

Quote:
3. I don't yet have a CF or SD or MMC card, and I'm into cameras or anything, so I don't know much about the merits of the various media. Is one format generally considered better than the other, whether in terms of price or speed or some other consideration?
I would suggest a CF card because it can be used to reflash the device. Have a look at the compatibility list
andreas h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iliad ipdf buttons