Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #16
LittleMe
LittleMe began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch. Would like a Kindle 2.
Wow thanks everyone I have a lot of authors to look-up. I am sure I will find more than a few that I will love with this list.
LittleMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #17
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
The literature map site confuses me. There are often multiple different versions of an author's name, whether because of mispelling ("Miriam" Zimmer Bradley), presence or absence of middle name/initial (Mercedes Lackey, Mercedes R. Lackey), or differing versions of authors whose names include initials (R.A. Salvatore, R. A. Salvatore, RA Salvatore). While I guess I can understand this, if the information is plucked from different databases, I cannot understand why these variations aren't clustered together.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #18
chrissy
Enthusiast
chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Kinda late response to this thread I know, but have you tried The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_Gate_Cycle
chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
Kinda late response to this thread I know, but have you tried The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_Gate_Cycle
This looks very interesting - I've just bought the first volume to try this weekend. Thanks!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #20
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMe View Post
I miss the story I might re-read them, but I was wondering if there any other authors out there like him?
I’m actually looking to read a David Eddings book – do you have any recommendations on what’s good?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #21
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
We don't even bother to mention Lord of the Rings do we? heh..

Thought I'd mention which books by those authors because it's not necessarilly all books, just like all of David Eddings books weren't as good as The Belgariad. In the order below I'd recommend these and you decide if you want to keep reading the author. Just because he/she/they wrote 1 or 3 or 8 excellent books doesn't mean everything they wrote was of the same quality. This isn't all they wrote that was good, just the best sample, in my opinion. Most like Eddings:

Raymond E Feist - Riftwar Saga
1. Magician: Apprentice (1982)
2. Magician: Master (1982)
--- (Apprentice and Master are also found published together as "Magician")
3. Silverthorn (1985)
4. A Darkness at Sethanon (1985)

Tad Williams
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
1. The Dragonbone Chair (1988)
2. The Stone of Farewell (1990)
3. To Green Angel Tower (1993)

Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
Dragonlance Chronicles
1. Dragons of Autumn Twilight (1984)
2. Dragons of Winter Night (1985)
3. Dragons of Spring Dawning (1985)
Their Dragonlance Legends trilogy, 7 book Deathgate Cycle, original Darksword trilogy and original Rose of the Prophet trilogy are also very good.

Susan Dexter - Winter King's War
1. The Ring of Allaire (1981)
2. The Sword of Calandra (1985)
3. The Mountains of Channadran (1986)

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time
all of it, some have various reasons to not like it but I do.

Dave Duncan - Man of His Word
1. Magic Casement (1990)
2. Faery Lands Forlorn (1991)
3. Perilous Seas (1991)
4. Emperor and Clown (1991)

Duncan's Seventh Sword trilogy is classic and probably his best work but it's not exactly the same type story as The Belgariad.
1. The Reluctant Swordsman (1988)
2. The Coming of Wisdom (1988)
3. The Destiny of the Sword (1988)

Dennis McKiernan
The Iron Tower
1. The Dark Tide (1984)
2. Shadows of Doom (1984)
3. The Darkest Day (1984)

Dennis McKiernan
The Silver Call
1. Trek to Kraggen-Cor (1986)
2. The Brega Path (1986)

Terry Brooks - Shannara
1. The Sword of Shannara (1977)
I like this I liked the 2nd and 3rd ones too. Lots of people razz it because it "copies" LotR but I think that's because it was just the first and closest of many that did. So what? I was hungering for anything like LotR after reading it. Besides being a great story, it was the first fantasy novel to ever make the NY Times Bestselling List and is therefore somewhat responsible for a lot of writers writing fantasy. At least the ones that wanted money.

Patricia McKillip
Quest of the Riddle-Master
1. The Riddle-Master of Hed (1976)
2. Heir of Sea and Fire (1977)
3. Harpist in the Wind (1979)

Angus Wells
Godwars
1. Forbidden Magic (1991)
2. Dark Magic (1992)
3. Wild Magic (1993)

James Watt-Evans
Lords of Dus
1. The Lure of the Basilisk (1980)
2. The Seven Altars of Dusarra (1981)
3. The Sword of Bheleu (1982)
4. The Book of Silence (1983)

Ethshar
1. The Misenchanted Sword (1985)
2. With a Single Spell (1987)
3. The Unwilling Warlord (1989)

Jennifer Roberson
Sword-Dancer
1. Sword-Dancer (1986)
2. Sword-Singer (1988)
3. Sword-Maker (1989)
4. Sword Breaker (1991)

Elizabeth Moon
Deed of Paksenarrion
1. The Sheepfarmer's Daughter (1988)
2. Divided Allegiance (1988)
3. Oath of Gold (1988)

Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth
1. Wizard's First Rule (1994)
2. Stone of Tears (1995)
3. Blood of the Fold (1996)
Continue if you like, they're mostly good but I think he hit his peak in book 2 or 3 and the violence in torture and sex got a little too graphic for my taste.

R A Salvatore
Icewind Dale trilogy
1. The Crystal Shard (1988)
2. Streams of Silver (1989)
3. The Halfling's Gem (1990)

Dark Elf trilogy
1. Homeland (1990)
2. Exile (1990)
3. Sojourn (1991)

George R R Martin (same kinda thing, a little darker)
Song of Ice and Fire
1. A Game of Thrones (1996)
2. A Clash of Kings (1998)
3. A Storm of Swords (2000)
4. A Feast for Crows (2005)
5. A Dance with Dragons (2008)

Christopher Paolini
1. Eragon
2. Eldest
and something else.
Edit - eh, nevermind Paolini on further thought.

Mark Anthony
Escape From Undermountain

Kate Elliott
Crown of Stars
1. King's Dragon (1997)
2. Prince of Dogs (1997)
3. The Burning Stone (1998)
4. Child of Flame (2000)
5. The Gathering Storm (2003)
6. In the Ruins (2005)
7. Crown of Stars (2006)

Scott Ciencin and Troy Denning (both using the name Richard Awlinson)
1. Shadowdale
2. Tantras
3. Waterdeep

Don Callander
Mancer
1. Pyromancer (1992)
2. Aquamancer (1992)
3. Geomancer (1994)
4. Aeromancer (1997)

Douglas Niles
Moonshae trilogy
1. Darkwalker on Moonshae (1987) (1st ever Forgotten Realms novel)
2. Black Wizards (1988)
3. Darkwell (1989)

Kate Novak & Jeff Grubb
Finder's Stone trilogy
1. Azure Bonds (1988)
2. The Wyvern's Spur (1990)
3. Song of the Saurials (1991)

Elizabeth Haydon
Symphony of Ages
1. Rhapsody: Child of Blood (1999)
2. Prophecy: Child of Earth (2000)
3. Destiny: Child of the Sky (2001)

Ursula Le Guin
Earthsea
1. A Wizard of Earthsea (1968)
2. The Tombs of Atuan (1970)
3. The Farthest Shore (1972)

Other great writers with similar style though not the very same quest trilogy etc type - Anne McCaffrey (combo fantasy/sci-fi), Stephen R. Donaldson (bit darker, heroes from another world), Robin Hobb, Terry Pratchett (bit lighter), Barbara Hambly (In her best stuff, the heroes come from another world etc so that's a little different, trying to skip those since it's not the same thing.)

Last edited by wayspooled; 05-31-2010 at 05:36 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #22
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I’m actually looking to read a David Eddings book – do you have any recommendations on what’s good?
The only first Eddings book option is Pawn of Prophecy

My favorites were The Belgariad of which Pawn of Prophecy is first, and The Elenium trilogy and The Redemption of Althalus novel.

Last edited by wayspooled; 06-05-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #23
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark

and.. I'm not that bored, I'm just waiting for paint to dry.. hehehe...
Old 06-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #24
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
This isn't all they wrote that was good, just the best sample, in my opinion.
I... just... whoa.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #25
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
We don't even bother to mention Lord of the Rings do we? heh..

Thought I'd mention which books by those authors because it's not necessarilly all books, just like all of David Eddings books weren't as good as The Belgariad. In the order below I'd recommend these and you decide if you want to keep reading the author. Just because he/she/they wrote 1 or 3 or 8 good books doesn't mean everything they wrote was good. This isn't all they wrote that was good, just the best sample, in my opinion. Most like Eddings:
I think I have just found a kindred spirit. Now if only you were 25, Female, Stunningly good looking and rich as good chocolate I'd be set for life

I agree with you on 95% of the books you've mentioned they're all worth reading though I do have to violently disagree with you regarding Christopher Paolini, his stuff reads like the worst fanfiction you've ever read, it truly is excretiable. Other than that some very good choices
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #26
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I've read about two-thirds of Wayspooled's list. It is, IMO, pretty accurate.

As for reading David Eddings, I would have to agree, start with Pawn of Prophecy. Besides the fact that it starts you off at the beginning, it also sets you up for about 12 books to read total - in case you want to continue reading.

I also recommend Patricia McKillip. Somehow or other she has managed to capture the same kind of fairy tale wonder and imagination in her writing as seen in the stories we grew up on as kids. Cinderella, Peter Pan, Hans Christian Anderson, The Brother's Grimm, etc. The Riddle-Master series is particularly original. I do have one on-going complaint with her though. I've wished that all of her stand-alone books were part of a series!

Edit: As for Paolini, I've got mixed feelings. Keep in mind that the author was a very young man when he started writing these stories. To a certain degree his youth shows. Certain things are lovingly crafted, others are mentioned in passing, resulting in disjointed prose - and very noticeable for that very reason. There is also a bit too much dues ex machina; I recognized the surprise ending of book 2 before the final pages of book 1.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 06-05-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #27
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
I think I have just found a kindred spirit. Now if only you were 25, Female, Stunningly good looking and rich as good chocolate I'd be set for life

I agree with you on 95% of the books you've mentioned they're all worth reading though I do have to violently disagree with you regarding Christopher Paolini, his stuff reads like the worst fanfiction you've ever read, it truly is excretiable. Other than that some very good choices
Well, I am just so embarrassed to admit... that I have read everything on that list, some of it 2 or 3 times... except the Christopher Paolini, which I shouldn't have added just because a friend liked it and told me what it was about.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #28
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Well, I am just so embarrassed to admit... that I have read everything on that list, some of it 2 or 3 times... except the Christopher Paolini, which I shouldn't have added just because a friend liked it and told me what it was about.
LOL your secret is out...

I managed about 20 pages of Eragon (also on the recommendation of a friend who has been severely chastised!) before I had to stop as I was feeling ill, it managed pretty much every fantasy cliche on the book and appeared to be written by a five year old.

I have to admit I watched the film under protest (ex GF wanted to see it) and after sitting through it I'm now extremely glad i didn't read the books...

I've just re-read your list and just noticed your comment at the bottom (don't know how i missed it before!) I totally agree with you about Anne McCaffrey I became hooked on her writing after reading Dragondrums when I was about 11 years old and have now owned every single one of her books at least twice (sold the first lot when I moved to New Zealand and then bought them all again when I moved back). Can't say I agree with you about Terry Pratchett though I just can't seem to get into his books at all, my Stepfather reads almost exactly the same stuff as I do and he loves them whereas I just find them painful

I'd have to throw Piers Anthony into the mix as well, while not all his books are worth reading he's done some fantastic series, I can definitely recommend:

Xanth:

Any of them though they do tend to get a bit monotonous after a while I believe there's around thirty books in the series now (I lost count a long while ago)

Adept Series:

Some of his best work in my opinion:

1. Split Infinity
2. Blue Adept
3. Juxtaposition
4. Out of Phaze
5. Robot Adept
6. Unicorn Point
7. Phaze Doubt

Dragon's Gold Series:

Written with Robert E. Margroff and also highly recommended.

1. Dragon's Gold
2. Serpent's Silver
3. Chimaera's Copper
4. Orc's Opal
5. Mouvar's Magic

And many more...
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #29
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Sorry, but I couldn't resist posting this:

BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #30
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
LOL your secret is out...

I've just re-read your list and just noticed your comment at the bottom (don't know how i missed it before!) I totally agree with you about Anne McCaffrey I became hooked on her writing after reading Dragondrums when I was about 11 years old and have now owned every single one of her books at least twice (sold the first lot when I moved to New Zealand and then bought them all again when I moved back). Can't say I agree with you about Terry Pratchett though I just can't seem to get into his books at all, my Stepfather reads almost exactly the same stuff as I do and he loves them whereas I just find them painful

I'd have to throw Piers Anthony into the mix as well, while not all his books are worth reading he's done some fantastic series, I can definitely recommend:

Xanth:

Any of them though they do tend to get a bit monotonous after a while I believe there's around thirty books in the series now (I lost count a long while ago)

Adept Series:

Some of his best work in my opinion:

1. Split Infinity
2. Blue Adept
3. Juxtaposition
4. Out of Phaze
5. Robot Adept
6. Unicorn Point
7. Phaze Doubt

Dragon's Gold Series:

Written with Robert E. Margroff and also highly recommended.

1. Dragon's Gold
2. Serpent's Silver
3. Chimaera's Copper
4. Orc's Opal
5. Mouvar's Magic

And many more...
McCaffrey, yeah I think I read Dragonflight first and then I had to read everything I could find that she'd written.

Terry Pratchett, oh I just think 7 or 8 of his books are just the funniest things. Death of Rats? And the dog that talks and says "woof!" instead of barking and then stares at them challenging them to believe what their ears heard? It makes me smile to think of it hehe...

Yes, I also love Piers Anthony. The first of his books I read were the first 3 of the Adepts, which I thought was a trilogy for years. I almost put those on the list except I haven't read them in a long time and I do remember he went back and forth between worlds more than - just appearing once so it seemed more Amber'ish in my mind than Belgariad'ish. And the Pale Rider series and many of the Xanth, A Spell for Chameleon is classic, also excellent.

And the Robert Margroff books, sonofa.. You won't believe I sat here trying to remember the name of that series or the author's name. That was the last series I had in mind to add except I couldn't remember anything but the story. That is really amazing that we read all the same stuff, lol.. very funny..

heh, unfortunately, Ima 50 year old, fat, balding, hetero guy so, no luck hehehehhehe... Nice to meet someone with so similar taste though.