Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2006, 10:21 AM   #16
martye8
martye8 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, Treo 700p
Book Design software

The lead post in this thread mentions converting books via convertlit and "book design". What is "book design" software and where can I find it? Thanks.
martye8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by martye8
The lead post in this thread mentions converting books via convertlit and "book design". What is "book design" software and where can I find it? Thanks.
It's an app that MobileReader vvv has created, originally to generate iLiad content (I think -- I could be underinformed here), but by reports it works just swell for Reader content too.

You can find one of the threads that discusses it here, but a search of the forum for 'BookDesigner' will turn up more discussion -- enjoy!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #18
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
I used to build sailboats a few(many few) years ago. After losing a 300buck drill to the muck of the habor, I took the habit of carrying all my tools in a floatable icebox.
What you'd need is an underwater camera box! That is if you can find one the right size!
I've also seen some flexible underwater camera "bags" - like a very high end ziploc - and one of those might be ideal.

I use a ziploc if I'm reading in a hot tub or pool, though if I'm having a bath at home, I often take the risk a go without the extra protection. I find the ziploc reduces the reading pleasure a bit - it's too reflective. I find that by sucking some of the air out of the bag so that it's tight against the screen, it works better, and as a plus, verifies that the reader works at higher altitudes.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:28 PM   #19
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Ah! Now I'm with you, BuddyBoy.

I think at least part of the reason that they didn't do the touch screen is that they were aiming to optimize the Reader for reading, and therefore left off most of the more involved interaction funtionalities.

Someone else suggested (around here, somewhere ... ) that there might be some power saving motivation for leaving off a touch screen, specifically. I don't know enough about that tech to venture a guess on that. Not one that'd be worth anything, anyway.
Good point, battery life could be an issue.

Truthfully, in six or seven years of Nuevomedia/RCA/Gemstar ebooking, I've used the search now and then, the annotation very rarely and the highlighting never. It's nice to have, but I'll survive without it.

What I do need is the book organization that's coming in a future firmware revision. And I wouldn't turn up my nose at a "go to page number X" function. I find the 10% hops ok when it's a small book, but I have a couple of 5000 page titles.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote