Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
rwillmer
luzme.com
rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPhone, iPad
opinion wanted: iphone-specific version of website?

Hi all

I'm looking for some feedback about my website ebookprice.info, when viewed from an iPhone. (It's a price comparison website for ebooks.)

As an iPhone/iPodTouch user, do you prefer to see the same website as you would from a computer browser? Or do you prefer to see a different interface which looks more like an iPhone app?

If I did an iPhone-specific version of the site, then it would probably be a list-driven interface similar to the iPod app on the iPhone. Would that be better?

Also, what book formats and stores are particularly good for iPhone books? I'd heard mention that Random House were making books available via iTunes for example, but can't see any ebooks, just audiobooks.

Any feedback welcome!
Thanks
Rachel
rwillmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwillmer View Post
As an iPhone/iPodTouch user, do you prefer to see the same website as you would from a computer browser? Or do you prefer to see a different interface which looks more like an iPhone app?

If I did an iPhone-specific version of the site, then it would probably be a list-driven interface similar to the iPod app on the iPhone. Would that be better?

Also, what book formats and stores are particularly good for iPhone books? I'd heard mention that Random House were making books available via iTunes for example, but can't see any ebooks, just audiobooks.
Personally, I prefer an optimized view, but it does not have to be iPhone-specific. It is possible to make a mobile-friendly version of a website to cover iPhones, Android, Symbian, Blackberry, WinMo... you get the idea. On the other hand, many people are specifically excited about the new mobile browsers that offer a desktop-style view of the "real" page, so I may be in the minority on the topic.

As for iPhone-friendly stores and formats, if you are referring to direct download ebooks, there are several apps that support a broad range of formats, but for most iPhone users it seems to come down to three formats (ePUB, eReader and Kindle), and only a few stores, the obvious ones being Fictionwise/eReader, BooksOnBoard and Amazon. I have also purchased and downloaded from SmashWords, but if you are looking to compare prices on mainstream books, they are probably not an option.

Good luck!
The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Nexus S, Galaxy S, Nook Color, iPhone4, iPT4, iPad 2012
I tried your site on my iPhone. It looks pretty nice in Safari, although I think an iPhone version would be great. Integration with Stanza would be even nicer.

You can find more information on Stanza's RSS/atom/catalog feed structure on:
http://www.lexcycle.com/developer
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle 3, Nexus 7, Sony PRS-T2
You can try it?

If you download the new Beta of Safari, you can set your useragent to the iPhone browser, and see for yourself.

(this is the trick that also lets you view the Zinio.com magazines that are supposed to be iphone-only)
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
rwillmer
luzme.com
rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
If you download the new Beta of Safari, you can set your useragent to the iPhone browser, and see for yourself.

(this is the trick that also lets you view the Zinio.com magazines that are supposed to be iphone-only)
Thanks for the suggestion! Actually, I've got an iphone myself, so I can see what it looks like - just trying to figure out whether it makes more sense to take advantage of the fact the iphone has such a nice screen to view "ordinary" websites with, or whether taking the effort to make a website that looks more like an iphone app is worthwhile.

cheers
Rachel
rwillmer is offline   Reply With Quote