Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-19-2024, 05:15 AM   #1
TheHustler5950X
TheHustler5950X began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (10thGen)
Question Loading Audible Books on Kindle in Unsupported Region

Hello everyone, Hope everyone is doing fantastic :D

I recently purchased a Kindle Oasis, was excited to enjoy audiobooks with its built-in Bluetooth feature. I wanted to make full use of my money, but I encountered a major setback: listening to audiobooks on Kindle e-readers is not supported in India. I confirmed this through a chat with Kindle customer support.

I am new to Kindle modding and had an unsuccessful attempt at jailbreaking my Kindle LOL. Since I use my Kindle for academic purposes, its functionality is crucial, so I have decided against jailbreaking for now.

Seeking Help: I am looking for assistance in understanding these files and how to achieve my objective of loading audiobooks on my Kindle Oasis.

Here's what i did to Solve the Issue:
  • Pictures at the bottom of the post

1.Downloading via Audible App:

First, I tried downloading a free audiobook on my Android device using the Audible app, hoping to sync it to my Kindle library. Unfortunately, this method didn't work.

2.Using a Sample Audible File(.aax) and loading it in via USB:

Next, I found a sample Audible file from this GitHub repository: (https://github.com/inAudible-NG/audible-samples/). I downloaded a .aax file and connected my Kindle to my PC via USB. I copied the file into the Audible and Documents folders on my Kindle.

Results:
- After unplugging my Kindle, I could see the audiobook in my library, with the Audible logo visible (see Picture 1). However, the headphone icon was missing.

- When I tried to open the audiobook, the Audible UI appeared, but a dialogue box popped up saying, "Cannot find the title in your Kindle device library" (see Picture 2).

Observations:

In the Audible folder, there were two files before I pasted the sample audiobook:
- default.hushpuppy.db
- hushpuppy-internationalization.xml

After pasting the .aax file, a new .db file appeared: default.audible.db (see Picture 3 & 4)

Here are my thoughts on fixing the issue:
-
>>> Bypassing the Check or Modifying Database:

There seems to be a local database of books synced from the cloud (probably the Content Library accessed via the Manage Your Content & Devices section of the account page). If we can locate this local database and add the .aax file to it with dummy values, it might prevent the dialogue box from appearing.

This entry might get erased during the next sync, but I can manage by adding the entry each time I want to listen to an audiobook and then turning on airplane mode.

>>> Using Special Files to Bypass Checks:

For other tasks, like bypassing the battery during the jailbreaking process, special files like "DO_NOT_CHECK_BATTERY" or "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" are used. If we could find a similar keyword for this check, such as "DO_NOT_CHECK_AUDIOBOOK_IN_LIBRARY," it might solve the problem.
  • Notably, the default.hushpuppy.db file has a header "is_audiobook_owned," which might need tinkering. (See Picture5)

Request for Suggestions:

If anyone has insights or alternative methods to achieve this, especially non-jailbreaking solutions, I would greatly appreciate your help. However, if jailbreaking is necessary, I will consider it again based on your advice.

if anyother infromation etc is need, feel free to let me know!

Thank you in advance for your assistance! :thanks:

PICTURES:-

Picture1:

Picture2:

Picture3:

Picture4:
Headers of the default.audible.db file

Picture5:
Headers of thedefault.hushpuppy.db file

TheHustler5950X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 03:49 PM   #2
DJUNGELSKOG
DJUNGELSKOG doesn't litterDJUNGELSKOG doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW5/Libra 2
I'm wondering what's your use case. Why do you need your Kindle to play audiobooks, considering that your phone can probably do it, and if you absolutely want a separate device for playing audiobooks then it should be possible to buy a used mp3-player?

Even if you manage to jailbreak your device and install an audiobook player (it's called SOX) then your user experience won't be good because the UI is very minimalistic.

Did you already try the VoiceView feature?
DJUNGELSKOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2024, 01:53 AM   #3
Julie Paradise
Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julie Paradise ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindlePW Scribe Palma Poke5 NovaAir2 NA3C TUC Max2 TabX A6X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJUNGELSKOG View Post
I'm wondering what's your use case. Why do you need your Kindle to play audiobooks, considering that your phone can probably do it, and if you absolutely want a separate device for playing audiobooks then it should be possible to buy a used mp3-player?

Even if you manage to jailbreak your device and install an audiobook player (it's called SOX) then your user experience won't be good because the UI is very minimalistic.

Did you already try the VoiceView feature?
Playing audiobooks directlyin a Kindle/in the Kindle app + Whispersynch allows one to seamlessly continue with either the audiobook or reading when both matching versions of a book (e-book + Audible/audiobook) are bought.

But you are right that this is often more practical on a phone, so my recommendation would be to use Amazon's quite generous allowanced to download most of your content to up to 6 devices. With this it is still possible to use a Kindle or a bigger device for reading mainly but still synch with a much more portable device when listening to an audiobook.
Julie Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote