Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-03-2024, 01:47 PM   #16
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
So the sqlite files I've been saving are not usable, even if I rename them to KoboReader.sqlite ?
You can see in this picture that I've marked daily backup in a specific folder. The zip files that @theducks is mentioning are inside that folder. Inside of every zip folder there is a KoboReader.sqlite, that is the file you have to copy.
If you haven't checked the option for compressing altogether configuration files and database (whatever wording is in English), then you won't have inside a zip file, but only the KoboReader.sqlite (I guess renamed with a date that you have remove when you copy to Kobo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backup.png
Views:	47
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	205558  

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 01-03-2024 at 01:50 PM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 03:40 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Run calibre and open the Kobo Utilities configuration dialog (Customize plugin on the dropdown menu). Click on the second tab and configure the database backup. I've attached an image of my database backup setup.

Your manual database backup can also be used by copying it back to the .kobo directory but I prefer the automated solution.

And once again, I recommend a restart before an USB connection.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	database_backup_config.png
Views:	47
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	205559  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 03:49 PM   #18
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

And once again, I recommend a restart before an USB connection.
Restart in which case?
Old 01-03-2024, 04:15 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Restart in which case?
For me, it is done every time before a USB connect. I haven't seen the database left open after importing books or simply switching between Home, My Books, etc. but I have seen the database left open all too often after reading whether or not I switch to another view. Telnet to my Sage shows either BookReader.sqlite or KoboReader.sqlite have their .sqlite-wal and .sqlite-shm journal and shared memory files present which says the database has not been closed and a USB connection does not seem to close them.

Another poster has mentioned seeing this after importing a large number of files but I haven't seen that on my Sage.

I did try to close the database and then chain the USB connect using NickelMenu but the results from that were "interesting".

Due to this, I now reboot (using a NickelMenu item) before a USB connect. It may not be needed 80% of the time but faster than restoring the database and cleaning up afterwards.

Kobo is aware of the issue and it is supposed to be fixed in the next release but so I've seen nothing released.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:18 PM   #20
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Ok, no, I don't do it. Taking into account the number of times I've got to recreate the database in all the years I've got a kobo, I'll take the risk.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:15 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Ok, no, I don't do it. Taking into account the number of times I've got to recreate the database in all the years I've got a kobo, I'll take the risk.
I am with you. I always wait for 'Processing' to get done before unplugging.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:23 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am with you. I always wait for 'Processing' to get done before unplugging.
The problem for me is that it occurs when I have been reading and the sqlite data base still has it's ancillary files visible. I have returned to Home, My Books, My Notebooks, Discover and More and even with the sleep timeout extended to 15 minutes, a Telnet session shows the ancillary files are still visible. It is not 100% of the time but enough that I restart to avoid the dirty mount happening (Windows pops up there's a problem with the drive on connect). The rest of issue seems to be when calibre attempts to connect to the database.

It seems to involve both the BookReader.sqlite and KoboReader.sqlite files since I've seen both with the ancillary files. See the attached image for one example.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-19-161850.png
Views:	40
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	205564  
Old 01-03-2024, 08:09 PM   #23
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
This has been a very helpful thread. I now know that the ONLY way to get a full backup is to configure the settings in Kobo Utlities first. Simply gonig through the menu and selecting "Database>backup database does not work. It does create an sqlite file, the size indicates it most likely IS a copy of the KoboReader.sqlite on the device, but it does not even NAME it, at all. It also does not copy any config files. Had I not started this thread I wouls have gone on virtuously creating "backup" files that were effectively useless.

I'm also grateful for the suggestion to restart the device befoe connecting. I never used to, but given the increasing frequency of database errors I'm having, doing so seems like the course of prudence. I want my Sage to last until the new Carta 1400 400 dpi Sage with 3GHz CPU, voice commands and a 75 gram 10000 mAh battery comes out in August. Of course, it won't have the very latest Adobe RMSDK
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:21 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
So the sqlite files I've been saving are not usable, even if I rename them to KoboReader.sqlite ?
You don't rename. If the filename does not match the filename on your Kobo, it's not the correct file. The files should be inside the ZIP file with the correct name.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:17 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't rename. If the filename does not match the filename on your Kobo, it's not the correct file. The files should be inside the ZIP file with the correct name.
Jon, PLEASE re-read message #7 in this thread.

The issue is that the OP was using the Backup device database option under Database in Kobo Utilities menu. You need to supply the name (similar to the OP, I used names similar "KoboReader-2024-01-03" as the filename (the .sqlite was automatically appended) the few times I used that facility).

This is not the same as the Device Database Backup configured under the Kobo Utilities configuration being intended more for one shot backups before davidfor tested a database modification.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:38 PM   #26
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
This is not the same as the Device Database Backup configured under the Kobo Utilities configuration being intended more for one shot backups before davidfor tested a database modification.
Thanks for this extra clarification of the different intended purpose of the two backup options. Now that I know the difference, the bility to save device specific backups is great - previously I only had 1 device to backup anyway
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote