Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-11-2023, 06:48 AM   #1
skil-phil
Connoisseur
skil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: kindle pw10
USB cable funny

I wanted to download a book to my sister's kindle via USB.
I used the cable that works for me but no response.
Used her charging cable and it worked fine. Book downloaded.
Weird.
Anybody got ideas as to why the different cables gave different results.
Thanks
Phil

Last edited by skil-phil; 10-11-2023 at 06:48 AM. Reason: added a word
skil-phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:30 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Your cable is broken?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:59 AM   #3
skil-phil
Connoisseur
skil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animalsskil-phil is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your cable is broken?
No.
Works fine on my kindle but not on hers.
As I said 'funny' 'weird'
Old 10-11-2023, 01:49 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Kindles are funny / finicky. (I have used my brand X charger and had it No-Go on some Kindles, but it works fin on my K4.

Your cable or her USB socket may be worn a bit.
My K4 has a 'experimental browser'. Maybe you can set up a content server connection
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 05:09 AM   #5
skil-phil
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Kindles are funny / finicky.
True
Was thinking of importing a Kobo Libre 2 (Not available over here)
Are they as finicky?
Phil
Old 10-13-2023, 06:55 AM   #6
sgmoore
Connoisseur
sgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skil-phil View Post
Not every cable is of the same quality and sometimes different usb connectors on your computer may be different.

I am not a hardware guy so I am not qualified to talk about cable quality or the lack of good shielding from interference or the technical reasons for the differences, but I do know from my own experience that the differences are not just theoretical.

For example, I have seen a device which does not work with a long usb cable, but works with a shorter cable from the same manufacturer.

I have seen devices that do not work with cheap usb cables, but work with the more expensive (and presumably better quality) ones of the same length and also the usb cable that came with the device.

I have a desktop with USB connectors on the front which do not work with some devices whereas the same cable and device will work when plugged into the usb connector at the back of the machine.

I have seen devices that don't work when plugged into usb hubs unless they are powered usb hubs.

And of course when you start talking about using usb cables to charge devices, the situation gets even more complicated.
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 11:59 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
True
Was thinking of importing a Kobo Libre 2 (Not available over here)
Are they as finicky?
Phil
I waited until ther was a USA outlet for Kobo (Walmart). I feel for those that have to deal frequently with Custom$

I am on my second Kobo (Libra2 v1), The first is fine, just newer features got me

Depends on the FW (there was a bad on that corrupted the DB). I use my PC (Kobo Utilities) for all updates and Archive (10) the zip files. Since I have an Aura2v1, I set up separate PER DEVICE Archives for Updates AND DB Backups

Modern Kobo use USBc. Still, be sure to have good (and spare) cables.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 01:04 PM   #8
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
I wanted to download a book to my sister's kindle via USB.
I used the cable that works for me but no response.
Used her charging cable and it worked fine. Book downloaded.
Weird.
Thanks
Phil
If it's a micro-usb cable this wouldn't surprise me at all, experienced it many times with ereaders and mobile phones. Thankfully usb-c cables seem far more reliable.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 02:42 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
USB-C cable have not been out as long as micro-USB cables. So they have not had nearly as long to wear out or for the port to wear out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 02:53 PM   #10
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
USB-C cable have not been out as long as micro-USB cables. So they have not had nearly as long to wear out or for the port to wear out.
Perhaps... although I still have many a banged-up mini-usb cable that work flawlessly and they pre-date the micro-usb by quite some time.

The micro-usb was the easiest to jam into the port the wrong way around. It was easier to see on the mini and it obviously isn't an issue for usb-c. Might go someway in explaining it.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 05:36 PM   #11
skil-phil
Connoisseur

Thanks all.
It is an usb-c port. Will get another cable/s as backup.
Thanks for the heads up on Kobo.
Phil