Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 05-27-2023, 12:35 PM   #76
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I just tried BookFusion. Library/bookshelf view is nicer than Marvin. Alas, it's missing a few of my absolute must-have features.
  1. Option to disable page turn animations
  2. Customizable tap zones
  3. Vertical slide for brightness
Thank you for trying the app and providing feedback.
  • Option to disable page turn animations - OK, can be added
  • Customizable tap zones - This is planned
  • Vertical slide for brightness - The brightness can be adjusted under settings but we can explore this option. Do you actually change the brightness very often?
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 12:50 PM   #77
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillachie View Post
Thank you for trying the app and providing feedback.
  • but we can explore this option. Do you actually change the brightness very often?
I change the brightness very often. If it is early in the day when I'm reading I need less brightness, but at night when my eyes are tired, I need more. So, I change it at least 2x a day, more if I'm outside part of the day.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:46 PM   #78
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
We have search and lookup. Thanks for the feedback though, we will look at exposing these other options to the custom text selection bar.
Sorry, but no, you don‘t have.

You have define, but not look up on iOS
And for search I have to copy it in an extra bar.

Don't you know your own app?
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 02:58 PM   #79
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
  • Vertical slide for brightness - The brightness can be adjusted under settings but we can explore this option. Do you actually change the brightness very often?
I do a lot of night time reading so I do adjust it quite a bit for comfort depending on ambient light.

While it's possible to adjust brightness via iOS control center, that blurs out the display so it's hard to gauge the actual effect. I usually have to go back and readjust a couple more times to get the brightness right. With Stanza and Marvin, adjusting brightness to the desired level is super easy with this feature.

Disabling animation and customizable tap zones are the most absolutely critical for me though. Also, do you have an ETA on the tap zone? I saw that it was requested 2 years ago but it seems like such a low priority since it still hasn't been implemented.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-27-2023 at 03:05 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 03:31 PM   #80
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I also do a lot of nighttime and daytime reading and use vertical swipe to adjust brightness ALL the time. At bedtime I tend to switch the phone into night mode and then adjust the brightness as my eyes adjust to lower light levels. This helps keep excess light from waking up my wife if she is already asleep.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 03:37 PM   #81
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Sorry, but no, you don‘t have.

You have define, but not look up on iOS
And for search I have to copy it in an extra bar.

Don't you know your own app?
There is no need to be rude with snide remarks, they add nothing to the conversation.

Define/Lookup were considered the same functionality. I do not use iOS devices as any of my primary devices so it could be quite easy to have another meaning for the same words.

As mentioned, we will take a look and see how best we can expose the other functions will keeping the other items in the toolbar used by our current readers.
Old 05-27-2023, 03:43 PM   #82
skillachie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I change the brightness very often. If it is early in the day when I'm reading I need less brightness, but at night when my eyes are tired, I need more. So, I change it at least 2x a day, more if I'm outside part of the day.
Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I do a lot of night time reading so I do adjust it quite a bit for comfort depending on ambient light.

While it's possible to adjust brightness via iOS control center, that blurs out the display so it's hard to gauge the actual effect. I usually have to go back and readjust a couple more times to get the brightness right. With Stanza and Marvin, adjusting brightness to the desired level is super easy with this feature.

Disabling animation and customizable tap zones are the most absolutely critical for me though. Also, do you have an ETA on the tap zone? I saw that it was requested 2 years ago but it seems like such a low priority since it still hasn't been implemented.
We were addressing most of the other features that were requested previously at a higher rate . We just released Vertical Writing, Spotlight Search , Obfuscated Fonts Support & More . https://www.reddit.com/r/BookFusion/...ing_spotlight/

We plan on moving to adding native CBR/CBZ and other smaller features next but should be able to add tackle this task later this year. Now that I have gathered the remaining features that other Marvin readers really like we can prioritize them. We will post a poll to see what the readers determine we should get implemented first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I also do a lot of nighttime and daytime reading and use vertical swipe to adjust brightness ALL the time. At bedtime I tend to switch the phone into night mode and then adjust the brightness as my eyes adjust to lower light levels. This helps keep excess light from waking up my wife if she is already asleep.
This is good to know. Thank you all for the input in having the ability to change the brightness outside of the menu with just gestures. This will be added once we work on custom tap zones.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:13 PM   #83
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is no need to be rude with snide remarks, they add nothing to the conversation.

Define/Lookup were considered the same functionality. I do not use iOS devices as any of my primary devices so it could be quite easy to have another meaning for the same words.

As mentioned, we will take a look and see how best we can expose the other functions will keeping the other items in the toolbar used by our current readers.
These were not snide remarks but the truth.

I am so fed up with marketing blah blah.
If you're not familiar with iOS, why not say "oh, I'll have to look into that"?
And no, look up and define are not the same thing. Define is just the dictionary.

BookFusion is offered by you here at every opportunity as the jack of all trades and doesn't even have the basic functions of a very simple ebook app - for years.

/rant
Old 05-28-2023, 01:55 AM   #84
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Arrow

Hey there in Bayern, take it easy! Let's not be deppert here. No need to chase developers away who are willing to listen to our feedback.

The best way to provide it are those dedicated BookFusion threads, though: here and here and here.

skillachie, I apologize again I'm so busy these months I haven't had, myself, the time to visit those BookFusion threads since last summer. I purposely don't open them, because they would suck me in and devour me.

The only reason I'm contributing to this Marvin thread is that Marvin is a dead app. Because it's dead, there's basically nothing to discuss here, and I can somehow wedge that "nothing" into my busy schedule.

However, I must agree with everyone else who said that adjusting brightness via a vertical swipe is extremely useful, so I hope you'll be adding it to the app, on iOS and Android. (I think I must have sent you this request, among others, in my list of BookFusion missing features/wishes last summer.)

Moon+ Reader, too, offers a vertical swipe to change brightness – along the left edge of the screen. Swiping along the right edge of the screen in Moon changes font size. Very clever!

So, you might perhaps go the Moon route as well: allowing us to configure two separate vertical swipes (horizontal swipes as well, now that we're at it) in BookFusion.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 04:54 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@skillachie Why is it that Bookfusion does not allow user installed custom fonts? The custom font system used now is broken. I don't care that BF can get some fonts from some apps. I want to be able to use the font of my choice.

Also, there is no hyphenation. Basically, BF is not ready to be released until these features are added.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 02:07 PM   #86
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's Alive! It's ALIVE!!

So... just FYI.... You can still install Marvin on a new device even though it is not available on the app store!

Wiggo mentioned this earlier in the thread but it got overlooked in the furor of trying to find a replacement for Marvin

You can use an iTunes replacement app, iMazing, to transfer apps from one device to another.... soooo..... as long as you haven't deleted Marvin from all of your devices you will be able to transfer it to your current, or newly purchased devices.

I just purchased an iPad Pro 4th Gen last night. It's updated to iOS 16.5 and I was able to install Marvin - I am currently using it with full functionality. I simply followed the directions found in this video:

So, we can still use Marvin until another app(s) meets all y'all's expectations!!

Cheers!
Old 05-29-2023, 08:02 PM   #87
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
And you paid 60 dollars for the privilege to keep using your app(s)?
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 11:18 PM   #88
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Nope.... as per the instructions in the video I linked...you use the trial version of iMazing to perform the copy....totally free!

However, the software seems to have much more functionality and I may end up purchasing it anyway. $60 for a lifetime license on 3 computers seems a really good deal. Didn't you mention you had purchased every version of some reader apps to show your appreciation and to support the creator???
Old 05-30-2023, 12:39 AM   #89
Wiggo
Leftutti

Nice to hear - I was 99% certain it will do the job.

Sometimes they have some discount. I use it regularly for backup stuff.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:23 AM   #90
SyntheticXsin
SyntheticXsin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
So I’m new and I just got Calibre setup and was excited to instal Marvin on my iPad. Only to discover that I can’t.
Since I don’t have a prior device with the app, does this mean I’m outta luck with Marvin?
SyntheticXsin is offline   Reply With Quote