Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-22-2023, 05:29 PM   #1
SpaceCat
Professional Debugger
SpaceCat began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra2, kindle paperwhite(2019)
Can't open kobo files, dedrm release notes not helpful

yo! First post, so pardon if this isn't the exact right place (will check rules before cross posting in the kobo section, since technically this is a calibre issue)

first of, yes, love my kobo, looking forward to playing around with some of the nickel menu options at some point.

However, I recently bought some real kobo books to put on it and those aren't playing nice. only afew actually have drm on them soooo those are the problem files.

i've used dedrm to remove kindle drm and that worked fine. i couldn't find clear instructions on how exactly obok is supposed to be set up. i've tried to use obok for the problem kobo files from: kobo internet store downloads (those show up as .acsm files), the kobo pc app (which is trash), opening from the device:calibre connection, and porting them from kobo itself.

Debug calibre doesn't show the plugin complaining;
calibre, version 6.14.0
ERROR: Loading book failed: Failed to open the book at C:\Users\$USER\Calibre Library\Unknown\df27cd04-b2d1-45f4-9365-8ff02214ca5 (1143)\df27cd04-b2d1-45f4-9365-8ff0221 - Unknown.kepub. Click "Show details" for more info.

Failed to convert book: C:\Users\$USER\Calibre Library\Unknown\df27cd04-b2d1-45f4-9365-8ff02214ca5 (1143)\df27cd04-b2d1-45f4-9365-8ff0221 - Unknown.kepub with error:
Failed to run pipe worker with command: from calibre.srv.render_book import viewer_main; viewer_main()
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "runpy.py", line 196, in _run_module_as_main
File "runpy.py", line 86, in _run_code
File "site.py", line 83, in <module>
File "site.py", line 78, in main
File "site.py", line 50, in run_entry_point
File "calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 196, in main
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "calibre\srv\render_book.py", line 821, in viewer_main
File "calibre\srv\render_book.py", line 812, in render_for_viewer
File "calibre\srv\render_book.py", line 789, in render
File "calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 53, in extract_book
File "calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 755, in __init__
ValueError: No plugin to handle input format: kepub

if i open as epub, it doesn't properly decode so i get garbage.

if i don't give it an extension i get "file extension too long" since it appears to take the file name as the extension (98 characters)
SpaceCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 07:53 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Make sure you have DeDRM 10.0.3. https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools

Install ADE and download eBooks from Kobo as ePub. Then you can remove the DRM from the ePub. You don't need Obok. You can send these ePub to your Kobo as KePub using the KoboTouchExtended driver.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:11 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Pretty simple instructions. Install the Obok plugin and restart calibre. It should automagically locate the kepub directory used by Kobo's Desktop app. Please note that Kobo Plus subscription loans are not supported.

A .acsm file is an Adobe Content Server Message file. You will need to open it with ADE or use the ASCM plugin. See the ACSM input plugin thread for more information.

As for porting from Kobo? I'm not what you mean by that.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 06:45 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You don't actually need Kobo Desktop app.
There are two routes:
1) Reading a file already on an eink Kindle (That uses Obok plugin). That may give a kepub version of epub.
OR
2) Download the *.acsm file direct from Kobo's My Books (That uses ACSM plugin). That is a regular epub. An internet connection is needed as the *.acsm file is used to get a download of the epub.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, dedrm, kobo, plugins