Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2023, 08:12 PM   #1
SillyStegosaurus
SillyStegosaurus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Any Way to Dim Light Below 1% But Still Keep It On?

This is for the Kobo Aura 2, v1. I'm finding even with dark mode and with the screen glow set to 1%, it's still brighter than I would like at night. Is there any custom firmware or software to dim the light further? The light's scale is pretty weird, it's easily brighter than I could ever need even at 20% brightness so I was wondering if the scale could set 20% as the 100%, and then each increment would be 1 percent of 20% instead for finer control.

It makes sense in continuous number space, but I don't know if the hardware supports that.
SillyStegosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 04:04 AM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyStegosaurus View Post
This is for the Kobo Aura 2, v1. I'm finding even with dark mode and with the screen glow set to 1%, it's still brighter than I would like at night. Is there any custom firmware or software to dim the light further? The light's scale is pretty weird, it's easily brighter than I could ever need even at 20% brightness so I was wondering if the scale could set 20% as the 100%, and then each increment would be 1 percent of 20% instead for finer control.

It makes sense in continuous number space, but I don't know if the hardware supports that.

You may be out of luck with that model. As far as I can see, there are no settings on NickelMenu to adjust the brightness in smaller increments. That was my first thought. The other is for you to engage ambient lighting, but Comfort Light only became available with the Kobo Aura One and H2O. With Comfort Light manually engaged, I am able to dim that final 1% down quite a bit on my Clara HD. Unfortunately, my Kobo Elipsa doesn't have comfort light, so that 1% setting is still too bright. If there is a mod out there to patch the brightness, hopefully somebody else knows about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 02:37 PM   #3
SillyStegosaurus

Thank you for looking. Yeah apparently the Aura One has the ability to change the color of the light, but the Aura 2 does not. I guess goes to show that newer isn't always better. I still wonder if the hardware or chipset would support finer brightness adjustments, but I don't have much in the way of firmware development experience.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:10 AM   #4
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyStegosaurus View Post
Thank you for looking. Yeah apparently the Aura One has the ability to change the color of the light, but the Aura 2 does not. I guess goes to show that newer isn't always better. I still wonder if the hardware or chipset would support finer brightness adjustments, but I don't have much in the way of firmware development experience.
It's up to the LED controller. On the Aura E2 and Clara, I've confirmed it isn't possible.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:49 PM   #5
SillyStegosaurus

Thanks for confirming!
Old 02-20-2023, 02:51 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
You may be out of luck with that model. As far as I can see, there are no settings on NickelMenu to adjust the brightness in smaller increments. That was my first thought. The other is for you to engage ambient lighting, but Comfort Light only became available with the Kobo Aura One and H2O. With Comfort Light manually engaged, I am able to dim that final 1% down quite a bit on my Clara HD. Unfortunately, my Kobo Elipsa doesn't have comfort light, so that 1% setting is still too bright. If there is a mod out there to patch the brightness, hopefully somebody else knows about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Is there a way to use NickelMenu to turn on the light with the setting I want?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brightness, custom firmware, kobo aura e2