Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2022, 05:38 PM   #1
porphyry5
Connoisseur
porphyry5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Onyx Boox Monte Cristo
kobo clara hd completely dead

My clara hd is about 18 months old. It has always had an issue of complete battery drainage overnight if kept in Sleep mode, so I have it set to Power off 15 minutes after closing the lid.

Currently the screen is its normal powered off and % read on the cover image.
But there is no response to the power button press, no Restore screen after holding it down 60 seconds, no response to charging 4 hours, no power on light on the power button, nothing at all..

When powered off, charge state was about 80%, and I believe these devices will function when charging even if the battery is completely kaput or absent, so am wondering if the problem may be with the power button itself, though its action feels normal.

Advice please.
porphyry5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:53 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
My thought is that the problem is with the battery - it might be dead. Have you tried doing a 24 hr charge from the mains (not a laptop)? Try this. If the issue is still happening, maybe change the battery. I don't know how to do this with a Clara, hopefully someone will come along and give better advice.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:50 PM   #3
johnydon3
Enthusiast
johnydon3 began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD, Nook Glowlight Plus (2015), Kindle 4, x2 Kindle Basic 10gen
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphyry5 View Post
My clara hd is about 18 months old. It has always had an issue of complete battery drainage overnight if kept in Sleep mode, so I have it set to Power off 15 minutes after closing the lid.

Currently the screen is its normal powered off and % read on the cover image.
But there is no response to the power button press, no Restore screen after holding it down 60 seconds, no response to charging 4 hours, no power on light on the power button, nothing at all..

When powered off, charge state was about 80%, and I believe these devices will function when charging even if the battery is completely kaput or absent, so am wondering if the problem may be with the power button itself, though its action feels normal.

Advice please.
Sounds like a faulty battery, i am new to kobo devices but back in the days i had a pretty similar problem with one of my kindles and the problem was caused by the magnetic cover, because the cover was not putting the device to sleep even if it was clossed, and it drained the battery duing the night, it was solved by changing to a different case.
johnydon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:37 PM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My kwmobile case is extremely unreliable at putting my Libra 2 to sleep. I just press the power button when I'm done using it, since the sleep cover only has a 1/3 chance of activating sleep mode itself.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:57 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
My kwmobile case is extremely unreliable at putting my Libra 2 to sleep. I just press the power button when I'm done using it, since the sleep cover only has a 1/3 chance of activating sleep mode itself.
I would have returned it ASAP for another case. I forget the make, but I bought a case for my H2O and the magnets did not line up properly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:43 PM   #6
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It doesn't seem worth the trouble to do a return. I prefer putting the Kobo to sleep manually, anyway, so I can look at the cover art before I put it away.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo clara hd, power button issue, unresponsive