Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #31
NzoMatrix
NzoMatrix began at the beginning.

Quote:
Sony Reader - Let’s get this out of the way first: you do not want to buy it. As impressive as the e-ink screen is (and it is damned impressive!), it has a fatal flaw: refresh. To move from one page to the next, the entire screen turns black and white — an ugly and distracting black and white that seriously deteriorates the reading experience. This is too bad. I kept wondering for hours afterwards if there wasn’t some sort of clever cross-fade animation Sony could devise to make it better. The Oh. My. God. Moment came in picking it up. This is a masterpiece of design and engineering. It is what a totable computer should be. This is what the Nokia 770 and all UMPCs should be like. Just this exact size and thickness. This is science-fiction come to life. It is worth your time to get to any store that has it just to hold it.
http://mikecane.wordpress.com/
NzoMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #32
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

I have to say, that as excited as I am to get my reader on Tuesday (when it gets delivered, yay!), this whole "flashing to black" thing really does make me a little wary. I mean it does sound awful!

Is there really no other way for it to work?
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #33
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
I have to say, that as excited as I am to get my reader on Tuesday (when it gets delivered, yay!), this whole "flashing to black" thing really does make me a little wary. I mean it does sound awful!

Is there really no other way for it to work?
I asked about that, actually. The basic answer is that it could flash to white, but then it would take twice as long. It has to do with something technical about e-ink's structure/function that they didn't really go into.

That being said. I got used to it very quickly, don't even notice it anymore, actually. That seems to be the general consensus too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #34
tmastern
tmastern began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
That being said. I got used to it very quickly, don't even notice it anymore, actually. That seems to be the general consensus too.
I'd like to add my voice to this. It really is a non issue, IMHO.
tmastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #35
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I'd say the refresh is the least of my concerns. You do get used to it overtime.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #36
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Yeah, it really is not that bad at all, the "media" make a much bigger issue out of it than it is.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #37
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.WilliamG actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Thanks for the replies.

My biggest concern now is whether I'll get it Tuesday morning or Tuesday evening.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #38
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
My biggest concern now is whether I'll get it Tuesday morning or Tuesday evening.
Now that's what I call a proper point for concern!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #39
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Has the iPod for Books Arrived?
http://www.slate.com/id/2151525

"But as things stand now, I'll stick to the paperback on my bedside."
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:06 AM   #40
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
Update: If you want to add more reviews, use the Sony Reader Reviews page in the Wiki instead.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote