Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #16
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MBA, DVP11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius
OK, is there some way to ask everyone here to contribute to such a list, that's kept on this site? I'm pretty new to this group, and not as familiar with how things work here. But I'm pretty sure I alone couldn't find every instance where the Connect store is charging near-hard cover prices for books out in paperback. I assume that most everyone here will probably find out what a "printed" price is for the books they plan on purchasing from Connect, so if we could somehow compile that list here, we'd probably get a pretty good idea of how things are going.

Then if someone (Bob Russell?) actually has a contact at Sony we could provide the list to, say after a month, maybe they'd be willing to take a look? I suppose I could just try emailing it to the Connect store Help folks if no one has a better destination.
That's a great idea, Morbius. I will start another thread for the purpose of listing e-books at the Sony Connect online e-book store, with prices that seem out of line -- books that are available in paperback but are priced as if they are hardback equivalents.

I'll post the URL in this thread when it's available. We'll leave this thread open for a place to vent about pricing complaints and discussion, and try to keep the other thread "clean" with items that I'll pass to Sony after a period of time. Maybe in pieces as they collect.

I can't promise any pricing changes, but I do believe that Sony is interested in keeping prices in line as much as we are. And as we frequently remind everyone, publishers set the prices, so any pricing changes will be up to them. But it's a great idea to make them aware of where there might be some legitimate pricing concerns at the store.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #17
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Bob, we will need another two threads

1: Things to be fixed/improved/added (probably sorted by priority)
2: Another round of questions to Sony
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #18
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here we go with the prices that are oddly too high thread...
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7986
Old 10-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #19
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
The falacy of "masses of regular ebook readers"... Have not seen them until now, do not expect to see them soon. Unfortunate, but to spend 3-400$ or more on a reader, and pretty high prices on what are essentially disposable books is not something masses of people are going to do...(nonconvertible drm ebooks are something you do not buy and plan to read in a year since you may not be able to).

Liviu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
You are definitely not alone.

For example, I think the masses of regular readers, that hopefully buy the Reader, will most likely only read books from the Sony store.

That doesn't change the fact, though, that the DRM system is broken right now from a consumer's point of view. It's definitely a hot topic and emotional issue.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Bob meant masses of regular readers, not regular e-book readers, Liviu_5. You're right that there aren't any masses of those. At least not yet.

He's hoping some of those regular readers will become regular ebook readers, a hope I share, because greater numbers means we can yell louder, and hopefully get the things changed that need changing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #21
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Okay, I am starting to see a pattern here.

Basically, every book available at $15.96 in Sony and already out in paperback is sold at half the price at both Mobipocket and Amazon. Fictionwise normally has them at a little bit more than Sony. I started to fill Bob's thread with a list, but I got bored and decided maybe it's better to announce my findings here.

Maybe Amazon reached an exclusive agreement with the publishers requiring being the first ones with the ebook the same price as the paperback? Any ideas?
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #22
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Do you guys ever buy at Powells.com? That's where I buy almost all of my encrypted ebooks (other than Simon&Schuster). They sell almost all their ebooks at 20% off. Nice prices, imo.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #23
MelancholyTea
MelancholyTea began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I'm pretty sure that Sony has people watching MobileRead, though I think they're on the Reader side, rather than the Connect side (the different divisions are pretty insular).

As for making a list, we could start a new thread just for that purpose. I think there will be more than a few interested in helping catalog the price discrepancies.
Considering that the prices don't seem to be what lordvetinari2 had originally stated anymore, and in fact appear to be less than MobiPocket's prices now...a list is probably a good idea
MelancholyTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #24
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

I posted one here (Patriots Club) and had to comment on it, but didn't want to clutter the other thread...

I think it is a bit demoralizing to look for a book (which takes some effort and time anyway), only to come up with a price that's out of line, or missing altogether. I love the way Sony is showing they care about getting prices right, but I sure hope they are looking at the big picture also. They obviously can't react to everything we notice, and even if they did it's only a sample. Many other frustrated customers will still find high prices, but they may never be heard from again after the $50 runs out. Surely eReader and MobiPocket have figured something out. Let's hope it's just the typical new rollout bumps in the road!

Hmmm... I take it back. Maybe this is a tougher problem than I thought. It looks like nobody got this one right. MobiPocket, eReader and Fictionwise all have it at similar price levels. Yikes! Surely the publisher doesn't intend to price it so out of line with mass paperback.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:24 PM   #25
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Here's a follow-up on my Patriots Club post.

Our mysterious store price minder person has already knocked down Patriots Club to $5.59. (I hope there's not someone at Sony going sleepless trying to catch up with all the adjustments! But wow, you sure have to give them credit for effort to even pay attention to this. I don't know how long it can last, but it's much appreciated, and should be a benefit to all of the store customers.)

I'm grabbing a BBeB copy of this right now, lest the price jump up on me again! At a couple of dollars less than the mass paperback price from Amazon, and the opportunity to read it on my Sony Reader, how can I resist?

Now that I'm getting used to spending from the $50 store credit, I have a feeling that if there is a general pricing edge over paper for the majority of e-books at the store, we'll see a lot more impulse e-book buying. Me included, which completely surprises me. It takes away some of the urgency to find public domain materials all the time. If I make impulse paper book purchases, why not e-books too? I think the $50 credit was a great way to get people used to buying online.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:49 AM   #26
ChrisAllenFiz
Enthusiast
ChrisAllenFiz doesn't litterChrisAllenFiz doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell

I'm grabbing a BBeB copy of this right now, lest the price jump up on me again! At a couple of dollars less than the mass paperback price from Amazon, and the opportunity to read it on my Sony Reader, how can I resist?
Now if only they could sort out the formatting so that it is consistant and fills the page. Oh, and most of the maps in the books I bought are unreadable because they only fill 1/3 of the screen for some reason.
ChrisAllenFiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:33 PM   #27
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
A strange follow-up to my post on the John Dean book, "The Rehnquist Choice." I reported it cost $20.86 at the Connect store, but only $9.99 at eReader.com and Mobipocket. The book was then dropped to $7.99 at the Connect store, but it is now back to $20.86! Not sure what's going on. I just wish I had bought it during the $7.99 window.

(Sorry to double-post this info, but I realized it was more relevant to this thread than the thread on general frustrations with the Connect store).
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:06 PM   #28
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Same thing with the Patriots Club. It went down from $14.36 to $5.59, which seemed like a reasonable price and in line with their strategy. Now I checked again and it was $14.36 again. They must either have some kind of automated price setting job that runs every so often, or the publishers are fighting lower prices! ;-)
Old 10-14-2006, 04:18 PM   #29
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
Hmm... "The Rehnquist Choice" back to $7.99. I'd better buy it now!
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:05 PM   #30
tallguy
tallguy began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-500
strange stuff. One one book I'm interested in, "Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity" by David Allen, the hardcover ISBN is 0670899240 ($16.47 on amazon, $24.95 list) and the paperback ISBN is 0142000280 ($9.00 on amazon, $15 list).

On connect, the print ISBN listed is the paperback one, but the print list price is shown as 24.95.

This all seems rather disingenuous to me.

Last edited by tallguy; 10-24-2006 at 05:08 PM.
tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote