Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #16
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Yes. In my experience the biggest problems are:

1. Either omitting important graphic tables, or retaining unimportant page frames, page backgrounds, and other cruft.

2. Mis-ocring numbers. Since it's especially hard to spot that these are off, and they throw resulting figures off.

3. Screwing up text tables.

4. Columns, column, columns.

Last edited by MarjaE; 07-11-2020 at 08:17 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I wanted to add an interesting experience here, that I just dealt with, yesterday.
. . .
…but...on a flyer, I ran it through OCR, in Acrobat Pro. Then, I exported the new PDF, which now had a text layer, to Word.

And I'll be dammed, but the resulting file is NOT horrible. I mean, with a modicum of cleanup--not beyond the regular person--it could be entirely usable. I was pretty gobsmacked because the source PDF was not wonderful. It wasn't the worst I've ever seen (a scanned copy of a multiply-faxed document--that was the worst), but it wasn't crisp, either, and the pages were not wildly straight. But it worked, and the resulting Word file was not bad at all.
Hitch knows this, but I'll say it here in case others missed it on other threads.

To convert a PDF to something editable the first tool I try is Word itself (2016 or later), it can't handle very large PDFs, but the results can be as good or better than the FineReader scanning etc route. I've wondered if MS and Adobe use a common code base for the PDF related improvements they've made to Acrobat and Word. There was speculation a few months ago that MS would acquire Adobe.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:25 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hitch knows this, but I'll say it here in case others missed it on other threads.

To convert a PDF to something editable the first tool I try is Word itself (2016 or later), it can't handle very large PDFs, but the results can be as good or better than the FineReader scanning etc route. I've wondered if MS and Adobe use a common code base for the PDF related improvements they've made to Acrobat and Word. There was speculation a few months ago that MS would acquire Adobe.

BR
Well, that acquisition would be fascinating.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:31 AM   #19
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
If I need OCR, I'll generally use FineReader.

Acrobat seems to be in many cases, of what I've tried so far best overall at exporting commercial vector PDFs. Unfortunately there aren't many options. Sometimes HTML export is better than Word, easier to correct, though the HTML isn't great. It can style paragraphs as italic, with a span for normal, a bit of work to correct. Or it can create lists, such as currently, a line break that might start with "1." or some initial on the next line, same paragraph, it'll break and create a list; a lot of work to correct.

Maybe I will again try Nitro, Phantom and whatever other PDF reader I can find. Word might be an option but it's a large PDF I'd have to split. Afraid of multiple CSS style definitions with the same name but different definition per split that would cause other pains to fix.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:58 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once you've converted the PDF to anything else, you'll need to A/B compare the PDF to the output format. That means every letter, every space, every punctuation, etc. Because if you don't, you WILL have errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote