Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-08-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
username0504
username0504 began at the beginning.

Device: none
metadta changes aren't saved into epub file

I fully admit I'm new to Calibre and making epub metadata changes.

I have made changes to my epub metatadata, but even after saving, the epub file doesn't reflect those changes when I drag/drop that file onto my ipad. (drag it from my file system onto my ipad)

In Preferences > Saving Books to Disk, I have "Update metadata in saved copies" checked off.

I have my epubs in Calibre. I make a change to the info, hit save. Go to file explorer, drag the epub onto my device. In some cases, the data has been changed. Others, not at all.

Is there a rhyme or reason, perhaps something stupid I am doing?
username0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Normally, the calibre database and the metadata.opf are where the changes are stored and the library copy of the ebook is not modified. You will need to use either Save to disk or Send to device for calibre to update the metadata in the sent version of the file. To modify the metadata in the calibre library copy, you need to save the metadata to the ebook file. I use either Polish (AZW3 and epub) or ModifyEpub (epub only).

Personally, I would not recommend dragging and dropping files directly from the calibre library. Too much of a chance of an error toasting part of your library. So save the books to disk and then copy from there to your iPad.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
username0504
username0504 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking at the ModifyEPub looks like a good tool.

Thank you for the clarity. As I mentioned, I'm newer to modifying epub files. Do I then highlight all of them and save to disk? Is there a better way?
username0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by username0504 View Post
Looking at the ModifyEPub looks like a good tool.

Thank you for the clarity. As I mentioned, I'm newer to modifying epub files. Do I then highlight all of them and save to disk? Is there a better way?
My procedure is a book arrives and is placed in the Intake library. There it is beaten into shape (metadata updated, covers right sized, opened with Sigil or calibre's editor and checked for errors, etc.). Once I'm happy with it, I use ModifyEpub to insert the metadata and covers into the library copy. Then they get moved to my main library from which they can get Saved to disk or Sent to device.

And yes, highlight the books you want to save to disk, right click and save to disk which sends to a working directory from which I move them to my iPhone. For my Kobo devices, highlight, right click and Send to device.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote