Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
dmacvicar
dmacvicar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Cannot Understand Why Title Appears This Way

Hi Folks,

new to the forum so let me know if this is not the right place. Admittedly I do not use my e-Reader often, but every few months when I go to send books to the device, this happens:
Click image for larger version

Name:	JQkpsuE.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	178641

I never know why. I cannot fix it. I have not changed anything on the kobo device plugin, etc. What steps am I missing?

Last edited by issybird; 04-23-2020 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Oversized image thumbnailed.
dmacvicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
How did the book get onto the device? The reference to "kobo device plugin" suggests you are using calibre.

I general, what you see in the title is what the title is in the metadata in the book. And if you are using calibre, then it will be whatever is in the title field in the library.

Other than that, it could be a metadata plugboard setting the title. But, if that is the case, it suggests an error in the plugboard, and I would actually expect all books you send to the device to be called "<Title>".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
You've sideloaded an ePub -- which is fine -- but then you're at the mercy of how well the maker of that ePub coded the book. In this case, they did a bad job.

Calibre is free and well worth having in your tool kit. It'll let you add in missing titles or authors, or, for that matter, change or correct the title to whatever you please.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #4
dmacvicar
dmacvicar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
You've sideloaded an ePub -- which is fine -- but then you're at the mercy of how well the maker of that ePub coded the book. In this case, they did a bad job.

Calibre is free and well worth having in your tool kit. It'll let you add in missing titles or authors, or, for that matter, change or correct the title to whatever you please.
I am using Calibre. The title shows properly. However, when sent to the device, it simply shows <title> like in the image. Any other ideas? You can see many other books have the proper title showing - I am at a loss!

Last edited by dmacvicar; 04-23-2020 at 08:06 PM.
dmacvicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:24 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacvicar View Post
I am using Calibre. The title shows properly. However, when sent to the device, it simply shows <title> like in the image. Any other ideas? You can see many other books have the proper title showing - I am at a loss!
If calibre shows the correct title, you could try using either Polish or Modify Epub to update the metadata in the epub before sending it. Normally calibre updates the metadata while sending the book and I don't think I've seen an option to disable that behaviour. You may want to check the metadata management in the Sending books to device preference is set to automatic.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-23-2020 at 11:30 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book title, title