Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-04-2018, 04:44 AM   #466
dsestero
Enthusiast
dsestero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hi David,

any thoughts about my wished features (post #460)?

Thanks,
Dario
dsestero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:47 AM   #467
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsestero View Post
Hi,

I would like to ask if it would be possible to make a couple of improvements to the plugin.

1. At this time the plugin retrieve the annotations and inserts, and merges them if needed, into the specified field of the Calibre Library. Having more than one Kindle device, this behaviour reflects what is present in the MyClippings.txt file on the connected device. This is good because it is possible to have clean annotations in the library by having a clean MyClippings.txt file (in Kindle case) on the device.
It happens to me that me or another family member read the same book on different a device and take annotations.
At this time if a book which annotations were previously fetched in the Calibre field is fetched for the annotations taken from a second device then the annotations that are not present on the second, connected, device get deleted from the library.
I would like to ask if it is possible to add a flag to choose from this original behaviour to one where they get merged instead.
What you describe is the way it is supposed to work now. The annotations being fetched are merged with the existing one. It is designed to allow annotations to be fetched from different devices for the same book. It is working for my Kobo devices, and should work on any device. The merge is done after the device specific fetch, so it should work for all devices.

But, I have had in the back of my mind to add an option like this. But, it would be to turn off the merge and do a replace.
Quote:
2. Now the plugin retrieve from the device three different types of annotation: highlightings, notes and bookmarks. The latter results in an empty annotation. They sometimes could be useful, howewer, to keep track in the Calibre library of specific positions of the book.
What I would like to ask is if it would be possible to add three checkboxes to have the plugin retrieve only the selected annotation types.
Yes, that is a good idea. I have to get that language update out before adding any options. I had thought I would have time this week, but...

And my apologies for not replying before. I think I saw this at a time that couldn't test the first point to make sure it worked, and then forgot all about it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:09 AM   #468
dsestero
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What you describe is the way it is supposed to work now. The annotations being fetched are merged with the existing one. It is designed to allow annotations to be fetched from different devices for the same book. It is working for my Kobo devices, and should work on any device. The merge is done after the device specific fetch, so it should work for all devices.

But, I have had in the back of my mind to add an option like this. But, it would be to turn off the merge and do a replace.
Thank you David, I will double check it with the latest version.

Quote:
Yes, that is a good idea. I have to get that language update out before adding any options. I had thought I would have time this week, but...
Good to hear it

Ciao,
Dario
Old 01-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #469
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
Sure.
Finally looked at this. It looks like the title in the different places are encoded differently. Or they are just different in one character.

In the OPF file:
Code:
<dc:title>Nie posiadamy się ze szczęścia</dc:title>
In the clippings file:
Code:
Nie posiadamy się ze szczęścia (Karen Joy Fowler)
And in the log, there is:

Code:
DEBUG:   11.7  Book on device title: 'Nie posiadamy siê ze szczêœcia'
My first thought was: Let's get everyone to speak English. But, I know that wouldn't fix things.

But, it looks like an unicode issue like we fixed in the Goodreads plugin. If that is right, then wrapping the titles in the same method used there should fix this. Though finding the right spots to do this will be the thing.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:36 AM   #470
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Release Candidate (hopefully)

Attached is what I intend to be the release candidate the plugin. This has two changes over the last beta:
  • New: Add support for KindleXRay driver.
  • Fix: Normalize title collected by scanner for matching title and when comparing for confidence calculation.

Unfortunately, I have no way to test either of these changes. I don't have a Kindle device, so can't test the first. But, I'll be surprised if it doesn't work. The second is an attempt to fix the problem BeckyEbook reported with titles not matching. As this seems to be a unicode issue, I have applied the normalize function calibre supplies to the title before the comparison that seems to be the problem.

The rough list of changes over the last release are:
  • Enabled translations. So far there are: German, Spanish, Italian and French.
  • Added support for KFX on Kindles.
  • Added or updated support for Kindles with German or Polish UI languages.
  • Improved annotation matching on Kindles.

As usual, please tell if you find any problems. Or, if it works properly. I'd like to release it officially over the weekend.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Annotations-beta.zip (651.5 KB, 440 views)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:39 AM   #471
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Thank you for looking at this problem.
Even yesterday I checked for another book and it did not work.

I also think that the "confidence" settings are too restrictive for the Kindle.
I suspect that for personal documents downloaded from the cloud on the Kindle, "uuid" is always None, so it's always mismatch.

Please update ParseKindleMyClippingsTxt.py file from #440

Edit again: After testing, I finally understood. The plugin works fine for files sent to kindle directly from calibre. If files was sended from calibre (by e-mail) to cloud and downloaded to ereader -- it does not work.

In the first post I read:
Quote:
Typical Kindle workflow:
[...]
Calibre: Transfer books from calibre to Kindle, either via email, Kindle's experimental web browser, or while directly connected to calibre.

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 01-18-2018 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Addendum
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #472
dsestero
Enthusiast

Quote:
Attached is what I intend to be the release candidate the plugin.
[...]
As usual, please tell if you find any problems. Or, if it works properly. I'd like to release it officially over the weekend.
Hi,

I tried it on Mac OS X El Capitan with the latest Calibre release and kindle voyage updated with the latest firmware and didn't find any problems.

Ciao,
Dario

Last edited by dsestero; 01-09-2018 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:59 AM   #473
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Works fine on windows 10 with Kobo glo HD.
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #474
Miss_Autodidact
Miss_Autodidact began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2
Hi there. Can you please tell me if this plugin will ever be capable of syncing DRM-free ePub annotations, between PCs and iPads?

I'm a mom with four (out of six) homeschooled children, and we have 1000's of school-related books which my children access on their (severely restricted) iPads.

I REFUSE to use Kindle because of it's total lack of parental controls. At the moment, any annotations (markups, highlighting, notes, bookmarks etc) using iBooks remain in iBooks only and don't sync via iCloud to a PC. I know that we can achieve the same thing (using MS Edge) and bidirectionally sync from their machines to our NAS, and OneDrive etc (tested and it works), but I can't find anything to bridge the gap in a cross-platform environment.

I think I've researched "the problem" (and tested different apps, sync facilities etc) as much as I can, and I'm wondering if I'm just "expecting too much". Or, is there a solution that I haven't found yet? I'm hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks, and I look forward to your reply.
Miss_Autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #475
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The answer is probably not.

Support in the plugin for any particular device or ereader app means that the annotation data has to be available somehow, and that someone has to write code. The former means that nothing can be done for a lot of devices. The latter means that someone with the skills has to be interested. And usually means they have to have the device in question.

For iPads, the former is probably the main problem. At one time the plugin could sync from one ereader application on the iPad. Unfortunately, Apple changed the way data was accessed on the iPad and this stopped working. A few people tried to get it working by other methods, but no-one could get it working.

Also, as I think you are after a method to send annotations back to the device, the Annotations plugin wouldn't be suitable. It is only about retrieving the annotations and merging them into calibre. It has no mechanism to send them the other way, and does not store enough information to allow this to happen.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:41 PM   #476
Miss_Autodidact
Miss_Autodidact began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2
Smile

Quote:
The answer is probably not.

Support in the plugin for any particular device or ereader app means that the annotation data has to be available somehow, and that someone has to write code. The former means that nothing can be done for a lot of devices. The latter means that someone with the skills has to be interested. And usually means they have to have the device in question.

For iPads, the former is probably the main problem. At one time the plugin could sync from one ereader application on the iPad. Unfortunately, Apple changed the way data was accessed on the iPad and this stopped working. A few people tried to get it working by other methods, but no-one could get it working.

Also, as I think you are after a method to send annotations back to the device, the Annotations plugin wouldn't be suitable. It is only about retrieving the annotations and merging them into calibre. It has no mechanism to send them the other way, and does not store enough information to allow this to happen.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, and saving me from spending even more hours traipsing around the internet in search of a solution.

I truly appreciate it.
Miss_Autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:05 AM   #477
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.7.0 - Add support for translations

Some of you might not believe it, but I have just released version 1.7.0 of the plugin with translations! As well as the translations, there are other changes and bug fixes. They are primarily around problems with the Kindle support.

The list of changes I have is:
  • New: Add support for translations
  • New: Add German translation. Thanks to schnesim.
  • New: Add Spanish translation. Thanks to Terisa de Morgan.
  • New: Add Italian translation. Thanks to dsestero.
  • New: Add French translation. Thanks to Nicolas F.
  • Fix: Extra Italian, German and Polish strings for the locations in Kindle 'My Clippings.txt'
  • New: Add German name of 'My Clippings.txt' file.
  • New: Add support for KindleXRay driver.
  • Fix: Normalize title collected by scanner for matching title and when comparing for confidence calculation.
  • New: Added support for newer formats for Kindles - kfx and awz3
  • Fix: Update regex for getting timestamp from My Clippings.txt
  • Fix: Some of the icons weren't valid and displayed an error in the debug log. Fixed by Nicolas F.

There was a lot of input and help from people here, for which I am very grateful. And thankful they were patient with me, or at least appeared so in their posts

As usual, calibre will announce the update in the next hour or so. And, if there are any problems, please report them here.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:13 PM   #478
mainro
mainro began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
annotation plugin

hello I'm new on this forum.
I want to fetch the highlighted sentences from my kindle to calibre and when i click on fetch annotation in the plugin annotation i have this message :

someone can help me ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 23.13.19.png
Views:	594
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	161989  
mainro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 PM   #479
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainro View Post
hello I'm new on this forum.
I want to fetch the highlighted sentences from my kindle to calibre and when i click on fetch annotation in the plugin annotation i have this message :

someone can help me ?
The message does say everything. The plugin looked for annotations on the connected Kindle. Then, if it found any, it tried to find the books in your calibre library that matched the books on the Kindle. It wasn't able to do this.

There are a few reasons for this. The simplest is that the book on the Kindle with the annotations isn't in your calibre library. Another is that the title and author of the book on the Kindle doesn't match that in the calibre library. When the device is connected, calibre will show a green tick next to all books that are in the library and on the device. It does this using the author and title. If these don't match, then calibre won't show the tick. You can force a match using the device list and the function to match a book to the library (right click on the book). After that, the Annotations plugin should match the annotations to the book. There are some things that can affect this, so it is still not perfect.

If it is still not working, make sure you are running the latest version of the plugin. There was bit of work done in this to improve the accuracy of the matches, and run calibre in debug mode, do the annotations fetch and post the debug log after closing calibre. I'll look at the log to see what is going wrong.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:31 AM   #480
mainro
mainro began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
here is the log

Hey Thanks for your quick reply.

I just downloaded the plugin from the plugin library so I think it's the good one ( I don't find another one)

All my books in the library have the green arrow so i think they match

I done the process you asked me : this is the log :
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmpNtU1TU.txt (20.8 KB, 640 views)
mainro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sampleexportingapp