Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 10:37 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
~ds on Oasis and turn off touchscreen

It appears when enabling the ~ds feat (no more ads), that disabling the touch screen in a book, also disables your ability to enable the touchscreen again.
When ~ds is enabled, the power button no longer puts the Oasis in sleep mode; and the only way out of the disabled touchscreen, is a hard reset.

I haven't tried this with a magnetic cover yet.

Anyone can comment on this?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Yes, that is correct. Just tried it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, since nobody tried it, there is one other way to reenable the touchscreen without restarting. Connect to computer and disconnect. Touchscreen will be enabled again, screensaver is still disabled.

So what you found is both right and wrong. Magnet or power button will not work. Touchscreen stays disabled until very long press on power button to force a reset restart OR Oasis gets connected and disconnected from computer.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-27-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Silly me, a reset == factory reset, restart == reboot
Old 12-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So magnetic cover doesn't work either huh? :/
Old 12-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Nope, only the two methods I mentioned, I eliminated by trial and error everything else. There might be crazier ways I am not thinking of right now, but they are most likely not as easy to guess at or validate.

ETA: only reason I tried the USB connect / disconnect at all is because it changes the powerstate - and it was worth a try. Plus you wanted to know if the information you found is correct - and I made the mistake of only checking what they checked at first and wrongly assuming they checked everything else. Not sure what the exact name of this fallacy is called.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-27-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I don't have a powercord with me,
But is the issue still appearing when you plug the oasis into a charger?
Old 12-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I don't have a powercord with me,
But is the issue still appearing when you plug the oasis into a charger?
Yes. The same. Charging only prevents the Oasis from going into deep sleep. It does not enable the touchscreen. If it did it would be a bug, IMO.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Pressing the power button also doesn't do anything.
I'm not sure if ~ds is enabled, and the power button is pressed, if the wifi will be disabled...

Like, would it affect battery life?
I guess it would, if the screen light was on.
Pressing the power button, does not disable the screen light.
So ~ds might actually do more harm than good!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard

I think so. ~ds is not the way to go if you want to prolong battery life. The only viable excuse for it would be if you NEED a page in a book to stay open more than 10 minutes without interaction. The hassle to go back to normal operation is just too great otherwise.

On the Oasis 1 / 2 ~ds is not even necessary to turn the light off.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I think so. ~ds is not the way to go if you want to prolong battery life. The only viable excuse for it would be if you NEED a page in a book to stay open more than 10 minutes without interaction. The hassle to go back to normal operation is just too great otherwise.
It is trivial to go back to normal operation after ~ds on a jailbroken kindle.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293264
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:58 AM   #11
ProDigit
Karmaniac

We're not jailbreaking a kindle. ~ds works fine on a regular kindle, just about until you restart the device.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
We're not jailbreaking a kindle. ~ds works fine on a regular kindle, just about until you restart the device.
My point is that with jailbreak you do not have to restart.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:18 PM   #13
gal_amy
Connoisseur
gal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegal_amy can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, Kindle HDX, iPhone6, iPhone7, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Actually, since nobody tried it, there is one other way to reenable the touchscreen without restarting. Connect to computer and disconnect. Touchscreen will be enabled again, screensaver is still disabled.

Thanks for sharing. I was afraid to try it. When I tried Voice View, it went crazy. I had no idea how to disable it. For now, I will stick to using my kindle fire to read at me.
gal_amy is offline   Reply With Quote