Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
mimilapraline
mimilapraline began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
internal power switch damaged how to fix ?

Hello everybody

Do you think there is an easy way to replace / repair / exchange the internal power switch of the kobo mini ?

I dont have warranty now and i noticed the piece of plastic of my power switch is broken. I opened the kobo mini and it broke directly on the piece on the motherboard...
I attach pictures to show the disaster...
This is how the switch should look like : image

Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9002.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	151921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9004.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	151922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9005.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	151923  
mimilapraline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You could use a small powerbank and thus wake it via the USB port.

Not sure if the mini already had sleepcovers, in that case a magnet would work too.

For the switch itself, you'd have to find some way to glue something onto the stump that's left and hope it holds. Careful not to ruin the IR/touchscreen parts right next to it...

Unless you find a replacement part and someone able to solder the entire thing off and back on?

Last edited by frostschutz; 09-26-2016 at 12:55 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Is the switch broken completely or you can move is with needle?
If you can move it, you can remove the plastic power switch from the bezel, and and use a thumbtack or needle to activate power switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post

Not sure if the mini already had sleepcovers, in that case a magnet would work too.
You can use KSM to power off the device.

Last edited by oren64; 09-26-2016 at 04:59 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
mimilapraline
mimilapraline began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post

For the switch itself, you'd have to find some way to glue something onto the stump that's left and hope it holds. Careful not to ruin the IR/touchscreen parts right next to it...

Unless you find a replacement part and someone able to solder the entire thing off and back on?
Thanks frostschutz (sorry for the delay) !

I did receive a replacement part from not working kobo... Now i am not sure how to solder it off and back on, my soldering skills are a bit old

What do you mean by sleepcovers ? I will try the magnet, but i doubt it will work. I tried the usb powerbank solution. It works, but i use the kobo to fly with xcsoar so it is not very practical for everyday use.

@oren 64 : ill open it again and look if i can move something but i dont believe so... But indeed your solution is good !

Keep in touch soon
mimilapraline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There may be Laptop repair shops near you, or not considering the location you list. If they say they can't replace the switch, using your replacement part, don't deal with them. They should be able to work with surface mount parts.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mini, power button, power switch