Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #91
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
No, has it got categories? That is a great feature in IE7.

Dale
I assume you mean a way to organize the feeds? If so, then yes, you can do that using folders.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #92
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I assume you mean a way to organize the feeds? If so, then yes, you can do that using folders.

BOb
No, that is not what I mean. RSS feeds can have categories and if you can't support that you are missing one of the great features. For example http://www.mobilecrossing.com/support/tipsfeed.xml uses categories. So many readers don't support it that it isn't as commonly used as it once was. Too bad IMHO.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #93
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that http://feeds.mobileread.com/mr/front supports categories in its RSS feed.

Currently mine reads (only better formatted)
Announcements21
Apple iPhone1
Bookeen Cybook Gen32
Deals, Freebies, and Resources9
Feedback2
Fictionwise eBookwise3
Gen3 Developer's Corner1
iLiad Developer's Corner2
iRex Digital Reader8iRex
iLiad4
Kindle Content3
Lounge4
News and Commentary92
OpenInkpot1
Other Devices6
PDF1
Polymer Vision Readius1
Reader PRS-505 Dev Corner1
Reading Recommendations2
Reading Software3
Sony Portable Reader3
Sony Portable Reader PRS-500/5053
Sony Portable Reader PRS-7002
Week in Review24
Which one should I buy?1
Old 01-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #94
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
No, that is not what I mean. RSS feeds can have categories and if you can't support that you are missing one of the great features. For example http://www.mobilecrossing.com/support/tipsfeed.xml uses categories. So many readers don't support it that it isn't as commonly used as it once was. Too bad IMHO.
I use reader.google.com since I need to be able to read the feed from different computers. Do you know if it supports categories?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #95
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I use reader.google.com since I need to be able to read the feed from different computers. Do you know if it supports categories?
I fired up my copy and it looks like it does not or at least I can't find it.

Dale
Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #96
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Dale
Interesting. This is the first I have ever heard of this. I checked into this with feeddemon. The new version of FD supports tags and they list categories as suggested tags. I have posted a message in the beta support forum asking if posts could be auto tagged using categories. I assume that is what you would be wanting.

One of the things I like about FD is that is uses the Newsgator sync service so read status and flags are synced between my two Windows PCs and with NetNewsWire on my Mac.

BOb
Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #97
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Giving FireFox a week...

Quote:
course you can only say that if you have tried to use Firefox. Give it a week.

BOb
I have downloaded and am going to give Firefox a workout for a week.

I am at a bit of a disadvantage because I have only downloaded it as a portable application, which has some limitations.

My first attempt, I downloaded to a U3 Thumb drive. The drive software was a might cranky and the drive itself somewhat slow. The screen would paint, ie. I would be shown a gray box that said 'Patricia's avatar' and it would paint over this from the top down to show the avatar. A lot of repositioning of the web screens going on also.

My second attempt I downloaded a whole suite of portable applications, including Firefox, to a newly reformatted Memory Stick PRO-DUO 1G. This suite is much more stable than the U3 version I tried first, it is also a lot faster coming from the memory stick. The screens are still painted slower than my IE7, I assume this is because of the memory stick, plus the fact that it is an older version of Firefox v2.00.14 (last updated in 2007 but the latest portable version there is). My MR 'position at next new post' is working OK. The only thing that isn't working is that some ads are not displaying in the ad banner (I like this).

My first impression is that it isn't any faster or cooler looking than my IE7, which I have been using forever, with the knowledge that I am not running Firefox v3 in full application mode. There are a gazillion add-ons, of which I may pick less than 6, not much more than I have with IE7. I don't do any development on this PC, just browsing, uploading/downloading, email, on-line photo albums, search/buying books...etc, and of course MR, but I can see how others could make use of a lot of those extras. If I get the hang of this, and find a few add-ons that are indispensable that IE7 doesn't have, I'll try and download the latest version as a full application (for me only, there are others on this PC). I was leery when I tried to download firefox months ago, after checking 'no' to making it my default browser, there was another question (which I can't recall) which wanted to replace something with something else, and I thought I wouldn't be able to get back to my IE7 or screw up someone else's).

Any *must have* add-on suggestions would be appreciated, keeping in mind that I don't want any RSS feeds or any on-line applications (I know which of those I want), games, music or any fancy home page stuff. The simpler/smaller my toolbar(s) are, the better.

*note* I was disappointed that my Norston identity safe doesn't work on the portable application, but is available (with a fix) on Firefox v3. (There is a poor facsimile that came with the portable apps, but nowhere near as good as Norstons identity safe).

Thanks to all members that offered help. I'm giving this an honest try. If I don't like it I'll go back to IE7 (and I'll hear no more complaints from any of you). After all, according to wikipedia IE7 has 70% of the market.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #98
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Any *must have* add-on suggestions would be appreciated, keeping in mind that I don't want any RSS feeds or any on-line applications (I know which of those I want), games, music or any fancy home page stuff. The simpler/smaller my toolbar(s) are, the better.
foxmarks for book mark backup/syncing
roboform for password management and form filling
downloadthemall for fast downloading/management
better gmail (if you are a gmail users)
speeddial quick access to frequently visted sites.

Also, get used to using the "Awesome bar". Use ctrl-t to open a new tab and put focus into the URL/address bar. Then just type where you want to go. It will quick fill from your bookmarks and recently visited places. Much faster than slogging through the book mark menu.

you can also tag bookmarks if you are into that. But, with the awesome bar I haven't found a need to do this.

Set up keywords on some of your bookmarks. This lets you do various stuff. For example, I have a bookmark of:

"Kindle Store"
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_ki...ld-keywords=%s

Keyword = k

Then in the awesome bar I can just type

k this book here

And it will go and search in the kindle store.

You can also set these up for google and wikipedia. Sure, you can use the search bar (ctrl-k) but then you have to use the mouse to select where to search, and it stays at that location.

The awesome bar and foxmarks pretty much settled it for me. I only use IE7 now to browse the app we work on (it is deved for IE and doesn't work in FF.)

BTW: I find rendering and javascript stuff to be much faster in Firefox.

BOb
Old 01-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #99
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Interesting. This is the first I have ever heard of this. I checked into this with feeddemon. The new version of FD supports tags and they list categories as suggested tags. I have posted a message in the beta support forum asking if posts could be auto tagged using categories. I assume that is what you would be wanting.

One of the things I like about FD is that is uses the Newsgator sync service so read status and flags are synced between my two Windows PCs and with NetNewsWire on my Mac.

BOb
I use categories as a filter. You can then easily pick up a subset of a feed that you are interested in. I really want categories. I will look at feeddemon.

Dale
Old 01-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #100
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I use categories as a filter. You can then easily pick up a subset of a feed that you are interested in. I really want categories. I will look at feeddemon.

Dale
I see. These days most blogs or other RSS feeds have the "main" top level feed and they also have feeds for various categories and tags which you can subscribe to.

BOb
Old 01-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #101
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I see. These days most blogs or other RSS feeds have the "main" top level feed and they also have feeds for various categories and tags which you can subscribe to.

BOb
Yes, but with categories there is one feed and I can take a look and read the stuff in the order I like skipping what I am not interested in. I don't need to remember to add yet another feed. Everything has its pluses and minuses.

Dale
Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #102
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, but with categories there is one feed and I can take a look and read the stuff in the order I like skipping what I am not interested in. I don't need to remember to add yet another feed. Everything has its pluses and minuses.

Dale
I understand. Sounds useful. But, I pretty much look at the topic for every news item I d/l in every feed.

BOb
Old 01-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #103
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
and also that the red segment about using tables is totally wrong in my case (i loathe tables and i only use them for tabular data, never for design).
Nice to hear! Well, um, read...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #104
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Wow. I saw this thread yesterday and wanted to read if it's related to a problem I'm having (and I believe I know the cause of it) but with over 100 posts already I'm not really interested in reading it all. So, two quick questions:

1. Has the issue been resolved (or at least understood)? and
2. Is it related to this problem I posted the other day (which I would hope could be fixed some way, perhaps by preventing datavis.com from participating in the ads we host)?:
I hate it when I click on a thread and my browser is instantly redirected to the portion of the page where there is an ad displayed by this one particular company. I can live with ads being displayed. But leave the control of what I look at on that page to me. This has been happening far too frequently the last couple of weeks. Death to datavis.com.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #105
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Wow. I saw this thread yesterday and wanted to read if it's related to a problem I'm having (and I believe I know the cause of it) but with over 100 posts already I'm not really interested in reading it all. So, two questions:
what ? you're not excited to read 100 posts of debugging and technical discussions ? how strange.

Quote:
1. Has the issue been resolved (or at least understood)? and
it can be resolved by not using IE as your browser. use firefox instead. or chrome. (or opera, if you really must. )
Quote:
2. Is it related to this problem I posted the other day (which I would hope could be fixed some way, perhaps by preventing datavis.com from participating in the ads we host)?:
I hate it when I click on a thread and my browser is instantly redirected to the portion of the page where there is an ad displayed by this one particular company. I can live with ads being displayed. But leave the control of what I look at on that page to me. This has been happening far too frequently the last couple of weeks. Death to datavis.com.
probably not, however that shouldn't be happening : an ad should not hijack the page to display itself. i've not seen that particular ad so i can't comment for sure but i don't even see how that could be possible, since i'm pretty sure the ads are served passively in the background ; there is no link from within the site (that you would click on to get to the page with the ad in it, for instance) which would include an anchor to jump to that ad, and the ad should not include any extra script to force that behavior.

what browser are you using ? if it's IE, for god's sake, get a real browser. that will probably solve all your problems. or at least most of them.

if the ad *is* jumping to the top of the page (which, again, should not happen) then alex might need to look into it, but again i'm not sure that's possible. you can also use AdBlock Plus plugin (in firefox) to block the ad ; then you don't even have to see it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote