Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion)

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is
 
Lilly's Avatar
 
Posts: 688
Karma: 2090
Join Date: Dec 2007
Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Suze Orman Book Free on Oprah site

Suze Orman's 2009 book is now available as a free download from Oprah's website, it's a pdf file.

http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahsh...s_bookdownload
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese
 
Ceili's Avatar
 
Posts: 103
Karma: 1027
Join Date: May 2008
Device: Kindle
If you're a kindle user download it to your pc and email it to your kindle... I've only gone through a few pages but it looks fine (other than the TOC, pfft).
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 7,773
Karma: 5842359
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: TN, USA
Device: kindle(1/2/3/dx), nook, nookcolr, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceili View Post
If you're a kindle user download it to your pc and email it to your kindle... I've only gone through a few pages but it looks fine (other than the TOC, pfft).
Since I've found the same on Kindle books I've purchased, I don't worry about the TOC. Use the Highlight feature to create marks for the chapters you might want to jump to, as you get to them (bookmarks often end up blank, I've found). Then you can use the "my notes and marks" feature to find any chapter or any other interesting text you highlighted.

However, I was a little irked they didn't make the Kindle version free to download (with 1.1 million download of her last PDF ebook in only 33 hours, I doubt doing so would affect sales on Kindle, since it's free for a week on her site and is easily converted for the Kindle). It's definitely not work $8 to get the TOC, but some may feel it is for the "lifetime library" (not me, I'll make backups).

Last edited by koland; 01-08-2009 at 05:54 PM.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue
 
Alisa's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,324
Karma: 22221
Join Date: Aug 2007
Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The last time they did a free Suze Orman book it was free on Amazon for the Kindle, too. That was even before Oprah decided it was her favorite gadget.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
bookratt's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,506
Karma: 1940908
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Kingdom of Nye, Nevada
Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Got the download

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Suze Orman's 2009 book is now available as a free download from Oprah's website, it's a pdf file.

http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahsh...s_bookdownload

Thanks for the tip!

I downloaded it for my Sony PRS-500, but I have problems reading PDF on it (the text is TOO SMALL for me). Any tips to make PDFs more readable? I just bought a PRS-505, but it's "in the mail", and I don't know if that will help me.

Last edited by bookratt; 01-08-2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: adding more info
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of
 
lilac_jive's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,871
Karma: 27376
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Device: PRS-505
I just snagged it. I probably know all the tips and such anyway but it's always good to have a new swift kick in the butt
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about
 
tech_au's Avatar
 
Posts: 517
Karma: 4056
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia
Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookratt View Post
Thanks for the tip!

I downloaded it for my Sony PRS-500, but I have problems reading PDF on it (the text is TOO SMALL for me). Any tips to make PDFs more readable? I just bought a PRS-505, but it's "in the mail", and I don't know if that will help me.
I downloaded this and will try it on my 505 tonight and let you know.
Probably more suited to a US audience than an Australian but I see how it is.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of
 
lilac_jive's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,871
Karma: 27376
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I downloaded this and will try it on my 505 tonight and let you know.
Probably more suited to a US audience than an Australian but I see how it is.
I compared it to another PDF I have and the font is about the same. So I think it'll show up kind of small.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pilotbob's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,488
Karma: 11248282
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa, FL USA
Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookratt View Post
I downloaded it for my Sony PRS-500, but I have problems reading PDF on it (the text is TOO SMALL for me). Any tips to make PDFs more readable? I just bought a PRS-505, but it's "in the mail", and I don't know if that will help me.
you can use calibre to convert it from PDF to LRF. The formatting won't be perfect but you should be able to get the three font sizes as normal. When you convert you can set what size the base font (S) will be.

The 505 will reflow the PDF book... not perfect but it will make the font size readable. But, if there are charts/graphs which I expect there are they won't translate very well.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 7,773
Karma: 5842359
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: TN, USA
Device: kindle(1/2/3/dx), nook, nookcolr, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I just snagged it. I probably know all the tips and such anyway but it's always good to have a new swift kick in the butt
Yeah, it's the same old advice, but updated!

Actually, for Suze, it's a change. She finally tells you to pay off your credit cards first, before trying to build an emergency fund (but don't close them, as that lowers your FICO score, which can affect rates and ability to get a rental when you lose the house). Always before she had people building a fund while paying off cards and paying little cards off to "feel better" - now it's the much better fiscal advice: pay off all your high debt first, eliminate all WANTS from spending until all non-secured debt is gone (credit cards, loans against 401K's, etc). Don't stop putting money into retirement accounts (after all, this is your chance to use a way-back machine and buy at 1998 stock prices).

Basically, quit being a baby and buying everything on impulse, get out of debt and build up an 8 month nest egg (her estimate of how long you'll be out of work if laid off).

Oprah's show had 225 people with CC debt, totaling over $2.29 million. About $10K each, but they also had ringers there that had written in (on gal had $80 in CC debt, plus had borrowed about 30K from her 401K; another couple had about 80K in CC debt and $200 in savings, no retirement, etc).

Here's her challenge:

1) Don't spend any money for a day. (this one's easy, we go many days
without spending, so I'll pick one and call it done).

2) Don't use any credit cards for a week. (a little harder, but we'll just fill up the car and then stay home a week and off of amazon; of course, that mean's I'll pay more and use more gas to buy locally and spend cash ... maybe this one doesn't really work for us).

3) No restaurants for a month (I think her entire audience gave up at this - Actually I've done this many times, long ago due to both habit and expenses and more recently for other reasons. At the least, it'll vastly lower the food poisoning cases in the US and those who do this will probably save at least $300 per person per month, since you can easily eat for $10 less per day vs. just one meal out a day; some may save a thousand a month per person).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of
 
lilac_jive's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,871
Karma: 27376
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Yeah, it's the same old advice, but updated!

Actually, for Suze, it's a change. She finally tells you to pay off your credit cards first, before trying to build an emergency fund (but don't close them, as that lowers your FICO score, which can affect rates and ability to get a rental when you lose the house). Always before she had people building a fund while paying off cards and paying little cards off to "feel better" - now it's the much better fiscal advice: pay off all your high debt first, eliminate all WANTS from spending until all non-secured debt is gone (credit cards, loans against 401K's, etc). Don't stop putting money into retirement accounts (after all, this is your chance to use a way-back machine and buy at 1998 stock prices).

Basically, quit being a baby and buying everything on impulse, get out of debt and build up an 8 month nest egg (her estimate of how long you'll be out of work if laid off).

Oprah's show had 225 people with CC debt, totaling over $2.29 million. About $10K each, but they also had ringers there that had written in (on gal had $80 in CC debt, plus had borrowed about 30K from her 401K; another couple had about 80K in CC debt and $200 in savings, no retirement, etc).

Here's her challenge:

1) Don't spend any money for a day. (this one's easy, we go many days
without spending, so I'll pick one and call it done).

2) Don't use any credit cards for a week. (a little harder, but we'll just fill up the car and then stay home a week and off of amazon; of course, that mean's I'll pay more and use more gas to buy locally and spend cash ... maybe this one doesn't really work for us).

3) No restaurants for a month (I think her entire audience gave up at this - Actually I've done this many times, long ago due to both habit and expenses and more recently for other reasons. At the least, it'll vastly lower the food poisoning cases in the US and those who do this will probably save at least $300 per person per month, since you can easily eat for $10 less per day vs. just one meal out a day; some may save a thousand a month per person).

I'm actually really good financially- one credit card that gets paid off every month, and I have a budget, an emergency fund and other funds. But sometimes in these books there are little hidden gem ideas.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pilotbob's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,488
Karma: 11248282
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa, FL USA
Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Oprah's show had 225 people with CC debt, totaling over $2.29 million. About $10K each, but they also had ringers there that had written in (on gal had $80 in CC debt, plus had borrowed about 30K from her 401K; another couple had about 80K in CC debt and $200 in savings, no retirement, etc).
It's no wonder our country is in a recession. This get it on credit attitude is a problem.

I currently carry no credit card debt, have no car loans and am paying double house payments (doubling principle) amount each month. I can't wait for my mortgage burning... I hope it's before I am 50.

One good tip is to find an extra $100 by cutting out luxuries... and applying it to your highest balance credit card. Once that is paid off, roll all that to the next one then the next. Eventually you will be paying them off faster... once done start applying them to your mortgage if you have one.

The only savings you should be doing while in debt (in my opinion) is to maximize 401K match. That is usually the best ROI you will every get.... unless you are a stock market guru.

BOb

EDIT: Of course debt payoff plan only works if you STOP using the credit cards.

Last edited by pilotbob; 01-09-2009 at 12:07 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of
 
lilac_jive's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,871
Karma: 27376
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It's no wonder our country is in a recession. This get it on credit attitude is a problem.

I currently carry no credit card debt, have no car loans and am paying double house payments (doubling principle) amount each month. I can't wait for my mortgage burning... I hope it's before I am 50.

One good tip is to find an extra $100 by cutting out luxuries... and applying it to your highest balance credit card. Once that is paid off, roll all that to the next one then the next. Eventually you will be paying them off faster... once done start applying them to your mortgage if you have one.

The only savings you should be doing while in debt (in my opinion) is to maximize 401K match. That is usually the best ROI you will every get.... unless you are a stock market guru.

BOb

You've just described the snowball method. I have to say though I think its a good thing to save some emergency cash while paying off cards, just in case. Then once those are done worry about the 401k (and max it out!)

I don't want to pay my mortgage off early since I probably will only stay there for a couple years. My rate will be around 5%, so my money is better of in the stock market long term where I can earn 8-12%
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pilotbob's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,488
Karma: 11248282
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa, FL USA
Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
You've just described the snowball method. I have to say though I think its a good thing to save some emergency cash while paying off cards, just in case. Then once those are done worry about the 401k (and max it out!)
Well, you still have the credit cards if there is an emergency right. Seems silly to me to be saving while you are paying 12% or more on a CC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I don't want to pay my mortgage off early since I probably will only stay there for a couple years. My rate will be around 5%, so my money is better of in the stock market long term where I can earn 8-12%
Ah... but I can guarantee you that for every $ extra of principal you pay off you will get 5% (if that is your rate). How much did you make in the stock market in 2008? Many LOST money. In 2008 I made 6.7ish% on the about 8k-10k extra I paid on my mortgage. And, because the balance is lower each month I can't put extra payment for some reason, since the principal is lower more of the payment is applied to the principal... more snowball effect.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of
 
lilac_jive's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,871
Karma: 27376
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well, you still have the credit cards if there is an emergency right. Seems silly to me to be saving while you are paying 12% or more on a CC.



Ah... but I can guarantee you that for every $ extra of principal you pay off you will get 5% (if that is your rate). How much did you make in the stock market in 2008? Many LOST money. In 2008 I made 6.7ish% on the about 8k-10k extra I paid on my mortgage. And, because the balance is lower each month I can't put extra payment for some reason, since the principal is lower more of the payment is applied to the principal... more snowball effect.

BOb

For the first part, you're right. It depends on what someone feel more comfortable with.

With the stock market, I'm viewing in long term (decades). Lets not talk about this year...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another free book from Oprah: Let the Great World Spin koland Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion) 25 08-04-2009 12:34 PM
Free on oprah.com - Heroic Meaures Thrasymachus Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion) 31 07-24-2009 04:52 PM
Truth About Cheating - Free Oprah Download BurBunny Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion) 9 02-19-2009 06:36 PM
Free Suze Orman financial book, through Jan. 15 starrigger Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion) 4 01-14-2009 01:34 PM
Free X-mas CD download from Oprah mjh215 Lounge 5 11-27-2008 07:47 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.