Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #211
pakozm
pakozm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Paper DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
has anyone converted novels in whatever format to pdf formatted to use most/all of the dpt-s1's screen size and actually read the novels? what's your experience? i converted a couple of epubs to pdf and am currently reading the first book on this reader. just wanted to find out about others' experiences. do you prefer the large screen or the smaller screen for reading novels?
Sure you can. I do it and the experience is really amazing. Nevertheless, I prefer to use large margins and big font size when coverting to pdf from ebook formats, allowing to display pages in a more comfortable size.
pakozm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:32 PM   #212
r0ma
r0ma has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony DPT-S1
I like love the amount of white space for annotating academic papers and ebooks on the sony – but for novels I prefer two pages on one and reading in landscape-mode – it really fells like reading a book, perfect for me.

I also wanted to share my solution to get a pdf-"newspaper" from my pocket collection (or any other rss-feed) to the sony. I like reading on it too much and don't like the browser, so I wanted to figure out a way...
fivefilters.org provides a php-script that you can run on their server or on your own. It converts up to ten feed items into a two-collum pdf-newspaper with a great font, including re-sized pictures. Using IFTTT, I use this to get my pocket collection converted into pdf and directly uploaded to my box-account, which then syncs to the sony – all without touching my laptop. it's a pretty neat read with my coffee in the morning.

If anyone is interested in details of the setup, I am happy to share.
r0ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #213
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ma View Post
I like love the amount of white space for annotating academic papers and ebooks on the sony – but for novels I prefer two pages on one and reading in landscape-mode – it really fells like reading a book, perfect for me.

I also wanted to share my solution to get a pdf-"newspaper" from my pocket collection (or any other rss-feed) to the sony. I like reading on it too much and don't like the browser, so I wanted to figure out a way...
fivefilters.org provides a php-script that you can run on their server or on your own. It converts up to ten feed items into a two-collum pdf-newspaper with a great font, including re-sized pictures. Using IFTTT, I use this to get my pocket collection converted into pdf and directly uploaded to my box-account, which then syncs to the sony – all without touching my laptop. it's a pretty neat read with my coffee in the morning.

If anyone is interested in details of the setup, I am happy to share.
that's very innovative. but i don't use pocket enough to take advantage of this. thanks for the idea.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #214
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakozm View Post
Sure you can. I do it and the experience is really amazing. Nevertheless, I prefer to use large margins and big font size when coverting to pdf from ebook formats, allowing to display pages in a more comfortable size.
i don't really like large margins when i convert to pdf. but i do use larger fonts. my eyes aren't what they used to be anymore.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #215
kcroker
kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony Digital Paper System
dpsprep: Text and bookmark preserving DJVU to PDF

I wrote a Python script, gluing together a bunch of open source tools, which converts DJVU files with OCR'd text and bookmarks like Tables of Contents, into PDFs with these same features. Everything else I could find just seemed to dump to flat PDFs, sometimes with enormous filesizes. If you've got a shell and the requisite tools installed, maybe you'll find it useful. Its great for textbooks!

https://github.com/kcroker/dpsprep

Let me know if it converts more detailed bookmarks within the document too (it should...)

Word.
-k
kcroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #216
robobby
robobby began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-S1
CDW has refurbished DPT-S1

I got one at $600. It arrived today and it's almost new.

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/SO...K/3704285.aspx
robobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #217
Dan23
Connoisseur
Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Paperwhite 6.8"
Can it be set to tap to turn the page or only swiping? Also, I asked before, but if anyone has both a kindle ebook reader and the dpt-s1, how does the page turn speed compare for text only books (assume the kindle book is mobi/azw). Thanks.
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:06 AM   #218
robobby

You can click page turn button but otherwise must swipe.

Page refresh is quicker than kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan23 View Post
Can it be set to tap to turn the page or only swiping? Also, I asked before, but if anyone has both a kindle ebook reader and the dpt-s1, how does the page turn speed compare for text only books (assume the kindle book is mobi/azw). Thanks.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:15 AM   #219
kocoman
Connoisseur
kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Where is the turn page button? Thx
kocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #220
robobby

It's a soft button (an arrow in a corner of the screen)
Old 06-04-2015, 05:10 AM   #221
Marc Mertens
Mathematician
Marc Mertens began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Digital Reader
Buying of the DPT-S1 in Japan

Hello,

I will go to Japan in September and want to buy the DPT-S1 there as it seems to be impossible to get access to this device in Belgium. I have however some questions :
1. Is it possible to buy the DPT-S1 in retail in Tokyo?
2. Can you buy the DPT-S1 in Japan with the English menu's and if not
is it possible to modify the menu's to English on on a Japanese DPT-S1.
3. Can someone recommend a shop in Tokyo for the DPT-S1 (if (1) is possible of course.

Thanks a lot in advance

Marc Mertens
Marc Mertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:18 AM   #222
haoeryu
haoeryu began at the beginning.

Device: dpt-s1
To my knowledge, you can't buy the us model in japan. Try to buy it through pro.sony.com in the us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Mertens View Post
Hello,

I will go to Japan in September and want to buy the DPT-S1 there as it seems to be impossible to get access to this device in Belgium. I have however some questions :
1. Is it possible to buy the DPT-S1 in retail in Tokyo?
2. Can you buy the DPT-S1 in Japan with the English menu's and if not
is it possible to modify the menu's to English on on a Japanese DPT-S1.
3. Can someone recommend a shop in Tokyo for the DPT-S1 (if (1) is possible of course.

Thanks a lot in advance

Marc Mertens
haoeryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:19 AM   #223
haoeryu

When is the ver1.4 for the English version available?

Anyone know that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by haoeryu View Post
To my knowledge, you can't buy the us model in japan. Try to buy it through pro.sony.com in the us.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #224
haoeryu

You'd better try the full version of the acrobat reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
Better than nothing, I'd say.

Do those sticky, handwritten notes that can be added into PDFs work for anyone, when they download the file onto their computer? I've tried two PDF viewers but they both only show the icon for the note but nothing happens when I click it. Perhaps it requires Javascript or something that I have not enabled.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #225
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haoeryu View Post
I'm not going to touch that... Anyway, a Mupdf/Ghostscript dev helped me and looked at the file. He told me that these are realized by FileAttachments in the PDF. So if the reader supports that, I guess it works.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crop, croppdf