Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-06-2008, 04:30 AM   #16
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Definitely incorrect is that your guide/reference[@type="cover"] @href should refer to "Cover.xhtml" instead of the cover raster image. The OPS states that "each reference must have an href attribute referring to an OPS Content Document included in the manifest."

I’m not sure the @id="Cover" itemref should be @linear="no". AdobeDE ignores the @linear attribute when rendering the linear reading-order, but another system could use it and consider the first page of the first @linear="yes" content-stream as the "cover." Certainly all the books I’ve looked at have the cover as (an implied) @linear="yes".
Well, I hoped the link in the guide could be directly to the image file... at least epubcheck didn't complain about that, but it did complain if I did the same in the <spine> (and that's why I added the xhtml wrapper, with just the case change in the id attribute ).

As for the linear="no", that's what the mobipocket document recommends. I sort of hope that complying systems would honour the <meta name="cover"> element and ignore the linear="no" element in the spine, while others would do the opposite.

Quote:
You might try making the content of Cover.xhtml be an SVG encapsulation of the cover image, which will allow the image to fill the first whole "page" in SVG-supporting reading systems (which according to the spec should be all of them, but hey...). Check out the Adobe EPUB Best Practices Guide for an example.
I may try that, thanks. But I'm not sure I'd want small cover images to be stretched to fill the whole page, if that's what it does...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Is there a possibility that eCub is going to be made to follow the standards for mobile DE so the ePub it generates will be fully compatible?

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-06-2008 at 06:52 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #18
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
As for the linear="no", that's what the mobipocket document recommends. I sort of hope that complying systems would honour the <meta name="cover"> element and ignore the linear="no" element in the spine, while others would do the opposite.
Hmm. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mobipocket is the one in the wrong here. The the Mobipocket pages gives the following result to marking the HTML cover as @linear="no" (and following their other syntax): "This makes sure that the user reading the book normally from the beginning does not see the cover twice."

What that means it that they are deforming the linear content flow by pre-inserting the cover, which is incorrect. I can see the usefulness of having a "cover image" for things like generating a cover thumbnail, but they shouldn't be randomly inserting it into the document flow. Shenanigans, I say!
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #19
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I'll check out this tool when I get a chance. Thanks.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:50 AM   #20
Julian Smart
Enthusiast
Julian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there a possibility that eCub is going to be made to follow the standards for mobile DE so the ePub it generates will be fully compatible?
Hi,

I'll definitely try to make it standards-compliant within the scope of the tool (i.e. given it's not a fancy HTML editor).

Forgive my ignorance but what's mobile DE?

Thanks,

Julian
Julian Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #21
Julian Smart
Enthusiast
Julian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Smart View Post
Hi,

I'll definitely try to make it standards-compliant within the scope of the tool (i.e. given it's not a fancy HTML editor).

Forgive my ignorance but what's mobile DE?

Thanks,

Julian
Ah, mobile Digital Editions? I can only see the Sony Reader being mentioned as supported by Digital Editions on the Adobe site, but I'll keep an eye on PR505 and other readers' requirements - in the next release of eCub I'll add integration of the epubpreflight checker so it'll be apparent if (some) constraints have been violated.

Julian
Old 12-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #22
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Hi Julian,

Thanks for your software! Two questions, however:

1) Using your wizard, jpeg images used for the cover don't seem to scale properly on the first page (cover page?) of the book (way too big!); however, the thumbnails look fine on the library page, and the text itself is fine.

2) I used the Sony Library to add the epub to my PR505, but the reader refuses to open it and gives a generic error message.

Any ideas on what it going awry?

Thanks,
Tim
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:29 AM   #23
Julian Smart
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Hi Julian,

Thanks for your software! Two questions, however:

1) Using your wizard, jpeg images used for the cover don't seem to scale properly on the first page (cover page?) of the book (way too big!); however, the thumbnails look fine on the library page, and the text itself is fine.

2) I used the Sony Library to add the epub to my PR505, but the reader refuses to open it and gives a generic error message.

Any ideas on what it going awry?

Thanks,
Tim
Hi Tim,

1) All I'm doing in the cover page is scaling the image width to 100% (this can be switched off from the Project Properties/Options page). Perhaps there's a better way of scaling the image?

2) Sorry, alas I don't know what the PR505 issue could be - I don't yet have a Sony Reader (holding out for the new version!) If I did have one then I'd probably start with a simple .epub that worked with the PR505 and gradually replace files with the ones generated by eCub... it's possible I'm doing something wrong with the OPF, but files work OK with MobiPocket and Digital Editions, and epubchecker gives it the OK too. Mysterious...

Julian
Old 12-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #24
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfolded

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can also check the book info dialog in Digital Editions - if it shows any warnings, the book will likely be not readable on Sony Reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:12 AM   #25
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:

2) Sorry, alas I don't know what the PR505 issue could be - I don't yet have a Sony Reader (holding out for the new version!) If I did have one then I'd probably start with a simple .epub that worked with the PR505 and gradually replace files with the ones generated by eCub... it's possible I'm doing something wrong with the OPF, but files work OK with MobiPocket and Digital Editions, and epubchecker gives it the OK too. Mysterious...

Julian
I believe you can install eBook Library software and test epub there?(for Sony Reader PRS-505 issues)
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #26
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
2) Sorry, alas I don't know what the PR505 issue could be - I don't yet have a Sony Reader (holding out for the new version!)
The issue the OP described is almost certainly a result of having a single XHTML markup stream greater than 100k compressed / 300k uncompressed.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #27
Julian Smart
Enthusiast

eCub 1.04

Hi,

Just to say I've uploaded a new version of the eCub epub creation tool, with finer control of metadata and a few other small features and bug fixes.

Download eCub 1.04 from here:

http://www.juliansmart.com/ecub

Regards,

Julian
Old 02-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #28
Julian Smart
Enthusiast

eCub 1.05 with audio file generation

Hi,

I've added WAV/MP3 creation from HTML content using the free eSpeak text-to-speech generator and LAME MP3 encoder. See:

http://www.juliansmart.com/ecub

Obviously it's not going to beat a human reader, but it may be useful in some circumstances, for example if you want to read a document while you're on the move. It's a bit of fun anyway...

Regards,

Julian
Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #29
nalioth
nalioth began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
Hello

I am trying to get ecub to output mobipocket format ebooks, but get this error:

Code:
The mobigen command was empty. MobiPocket file not generated.
I have mobigen_linux in /usr/local/bin and symlinked as mobigen to /usr/bin and /usr/share/ecub [with the ecub binary].

Any ideas?

ETA: Well, nothing like showing yourself an idiot with your 2nd post

I've been spoiled by the *nix command line, but finally had a look at the prefs. After telling it where to look, it works fine now.

Thank you, Mr. Smart for ecub.

Last edited by nalioth; 03-17-2009 at 01:11 AM.
nalioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #30
gwynevans
Wizard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505 (retired), iPad2, iPhone 3GS & Nexus 7 3G
One for Julian: Have you considered having eCub be able to create a project file & sources from an ePub file?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote