Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #226
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Even if you buy from abroad?
I don't know. I thought you did, but I may well be mistaken.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:59 AM   #227
halfprice.anyite
halfprice.anyite began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Mayne I should use VPN and set it to someplace when purchase? )
halfprice.anyite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #228
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suspect that the geographical restrictions would outweigh the benefits. The whole point, after all, of appearing to be in the UK was to buy books that were only available in the UK.
Even for wrongly charging tax? Will the EU or UK turn a blind eye if too much tax is charged if it is in their favor? Can the store just say - oops, the customer said he is in the UK and not in another state in the EU with even higher VAT rate.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #229
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Quote:
It has little to do with our government. VAT rules are set by the EU, not national governments.

Our 20% VAT rate is in the mid-range. Some are lower, some are higher, but 20% is typical.
If the EU controls VAT rules, then why do so many EU countries have different VAT rates?
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:22 AM   #230
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
If the EU controls VAT rules, then why do so many EU countries have different VAT rates?
Rules and rates are two different things. Rules tell who is paying and who is getting the money. The rates just say how much that is.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:24 AM   #231
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Rules and rates are two different things. Rules tell who is paying and who is getting the money. The rates just say how much that is.
Paying is not the problem, it's the rate that's the problem.

Contact your government and complain about the rate for eBooks. 20% is ridiculous.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:27 AM   #232
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Contact your government and complain about the rate for eBooks. 20% is ridiculous.
Why do you believe it to be ridiculous? EU law requires member states to set a VAT rate of at least 15%, but the actual rate charged is set by national governments.

If the rate of VAT were to be lowered, other taxes would have to be raised to make up the shortfall.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #233
thewitt
Zealot

Quote:
Why do you believe it to be ridiculous? EU law requires member states to set a VAT rate of at least 15%, but the actual rate charged is set by national governments.

If the rate of VAT were to be lowered, other taxes would have to be raised to make up the shortfall.
Do you know what the UK VAT Rate is on paper books?

It's 0%

https://www.gov.uk/rates-of-vat-on-d...and-newspapers

Yes, 20% on eBooks is clearly ridiculous in my opinion.

Clearly it's acceptable to you and that's OK, but don't ask me to pay it on your behalf thank you.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #234
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Paying is not the problem, it's the rate that's the problem.

20% is not too much if regular books also had that same 20%. As it is the paper books in the UK have a reduced VAT rate (I believe it is no VAT) - having VAT on ebooks is wrong in that case. Other EU countries have also different rates for books (some just lower instead of zero).
Old 01-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #235
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Do you know what the UK VAT Rate is on paper books?

It's 0%
Yes, of course I know, but ebooks are not books, but "digital services", which are required to be taxed at the standard rate of VAT. It's EU law.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #236
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Yes, of course I know, but ebooks are not books, but "digital services", which are required to be taxed at the standard rate of VAT. It's EU law.
And that's the problem. Reading is reading and the law needs to catch up.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #237
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I can imagine the traditional publishers are rubbing their hands with glee now, 0% tax on paper books and 20% on ebooks. It's ridiculous.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #238
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
And that's the problem. Reading is reading and the law needs to catch up.
I agree with you entirely, but it needs to change at the EU level; national governments can't make the change. Hence my earlier remark that there was little point in talking to the government about it.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #239
thewitt
Zealot

Quote:
I agree with you entirely, but it needs to change at the EU level; national governments can't make the change. Hence my earlier remark that there was little point in talking to the government about it.

If you don't complain to your local government, who do you think will complain to the EU?

Where I grew up, silence meant agreement, so stay silent and get whatever someone else decides on your behalf I guess.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #240
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
If you don't complain to your local government, who do you think will complain to the EU?

Where I grew up, silence meant agreement, so stay silent and get whatever someone else decides on your behalf I guess.
Personally speaking, I'm not that bothered about it, to tell you the truth. I'm pretty price-insensitive when it comes to reading, and I don't mind paying taxes on things that I buy. If this revenue stream is cut off, taxes on something else will inevitably have to rise to make up the shortfall.