Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2), Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Good Dr.

There are publisher remnants that indicate 'left out fonts'.
Like the(desired) font names commented out in the CSS.

For personal use, I can use ones I have available (My Wordperfect 8 came with a disk of hundreds. Other programs also shipped with font libraries).

The Publisher would have to spend Thousands to be able to include them.

So, Yes! I do embed fonts (and remove the comment marks in the CSS) so I can view the book the way the designer intended (and the paper version was printed).
But not all ePub without embedded fonts are like that. Sure, some can be like that, but most are not. I have seen some that just say serif or sans-serif in places. Others I;ve seen specify Times New Roman; but those I think are just incorrect and not with fonts left out.

Plus, you have to have the fonts the publisher specified or something close enough to get the same or a similar look/feel.

Most ePub without embedded fonts don't have references to fonts left out. And to know this every single ePub without embedded fonts would have to be examined to see if there are references to fonts that are not there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote