Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #37711
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggleWife View Post
Celebrating very quietly.

I passed my last exam today and have qualified for my second professional designation in two years. More alphabet behind my name and a new set of business cards on order.

Now I can stop reading text books and actually read for pleasure again.
Jolly good show. Kudos!
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:00 AM   #37712
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Fascinating. So if you leave out the apostrophe, it supplies one.

Autocorrect ON:

It's neat (I typed "Its neat.")
It' senate (I typed "It's neat.")

iPad's autocorrect is just plain ornery. It obviously knows the correct spelling; it just wants to play games. Think I'll keep it OFF!
Every time I type "zinfandel" via Firefox it puts a red line under it and suggests that perhaps I really meant "infanticide."
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #37713
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Congratulations on the new sheepskin, 5thWiggleWife!

Quote:
Right you are! Chicken nuggets for everyone. ...
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #37714
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Every time I type "zinfandel" via Firefox it puts a red line under it and suggests that perhaps I really meant "infanticide."
As well it should. No decent person should have to know how to spell such a word. I had to look up its definition myself.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #37715
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Just got done mowing the lawn - today the humidity dipped below 50% and there was a stiff breeze - so I decided to carpe Fiskar - of course I began by walking through a face level spider web on my way to get the mower - and now I have 3 sets of fang marks on my face - off to put some ice on it. Sigh ... I spray liberally with Avon Skin So Soft sun block - which also acts as a dandy repellent - I guess I made the little guy mad when I barged through his dining room.

And yes .... I meant to say friends of 5WW .... NOT chicken nuggets!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #37716
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
And yes .... I meant to say friends of 5WW .... NOT chicken nuggets!
I never met a nugget I didn't like!
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:03 AM   #37717
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I got a very nice email today from friends asking if it was possible if I had the time and felt like it that I can look after their house and dog for three weeks in August. <snip>
So nice that they are finally treating you much nicer.
Quote:
Celebrating very quietly.

I passed my last exam today and have qualified for my second professional designation in two years. More alphabet behind my name and a new set of business cards on order.

Now I can stop reading text books and actually read for pleasure again.
Yippee!! Congratulations!

I just finished getting the new caulking put on around the shower (after the plaster and paint). Now, to wait for it to dry and then paint it.

Soup is done, so I am enjoying a bowl with some garlic bread.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #37718
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Looking at cameras again. I promised myself that if I keep up with my photo journalling I can treat myself to a new, better camera at the end of the year. I'm now wondering if I should go for a DSLR or one of those cameras that's got the body of a compact but does have interchangeable lenses (in Dutch we call it a system camera).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #37719
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I think my neighbors are robots!

They asked us to feed their cat for a week while they are visiting relatives. They have a dog & cat - both stay indoors - and took the dog with them.

We've been going over twice a day tending to the cat - and there's absolutely NO cat hair, dog hair, or dust -- anywhere! (I vacuum at least twice a week to keep the carpets visible underneath the cat hair!) Their polished wood floors are immaculate - not a speck of anything on them.

I theorize that they are robots - keeping pets to pass as human - and have robot cleaners that automatically remove any speck of dirt/hair/whatever! No wonder we always find the cat on the couch (swathed under 2 layers of blanket and topped with a knitted afghan). There are no cardboard pieces on the floor by the scratching box. There is one cat toy - left draped over the drape hold-back hook - looks brand new (all of our cat toys have tooth or claw marks on them) - when I waved it at the cat, she fled in terror.

Definitely robots! I was too scared to check the closets for recharging ports!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:43 PM   #37720
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of my favourite teas to drink when I'm watching tv or reading at night is one of those that supposedly helps you sleep well, with valerian as one ingredient. I already knew Lexie likes the smell of valerian, I always give her the box the tea bags come in to roll on and lick clean. She apparently also likes the tea; she just drank the last bit out of my mug. I'm now hoping the tea does what it's supposed to do and she will sleep through the night.

The last couple of nights she has been very active, and loud. Waking me up several times during the night. She has also taken to coming with me when I have to go to the toilet at night, sitting in the hallway and mumbling to herself until I'm done. Weird cat.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #37721
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Now I'm REALLY wondering if these robins are insane. They've already raised one brood this year, and now there are fresh eggs in the nest. Yes, that's our front door; the one we come in and out by all the time; the one where the UPS and Federal Express people drop off their packages; the one where the neighborhood kids ring the doorbell asking for our grandson, and that's the nest they built in the wreath beside it. The pictures in the spoiler were taken in April, but now these fools are back.

Spoiler:

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-15-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typo.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #37722
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Looking at cameras again. I promised myself that if I keep up with my photo journalling I can treat myself to a new, better camera at the end of the year. I'm now wondering if I should go for a DSLR or one of those cameras that's got the body of a compact but does have interchangeable lenses (in Dutch we call it a system camera).
I'll bet you'd be happier in the long run with a DSLR.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 AM   #37723
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'll bet you'd be happier in the long run with a DSLR.
Photography wise, yes. But, I think I won't take it with me everywhere, that I keep using my current camera and only use the DSLR for special occasions. At the moment I got a bigger than average point-and-shoot camera (Panasonic LX3) and it took a while before I started carrying it around with me nearly all the time. A DSLR is big and heavy and I'll be afraid of damaging it, however, it is quicker with taking photographs and there are more accessories (but will I use those?).

A mirrorless camera is a lot smaller and lighter, a drawback can be that it's a bit slower.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a mirrorless camera because of the size, I use it to make everyday pictures and often the spontaneous ones are the best and if I don't have my camera with me I won't take those type of pictures anymore.

Luckily I still have several months to decide and read up on the subject. I'll also visit my camera store and see what they have to say about the subject (they never push for the most expensive camera but try to find one that fits the customer's needs).
Old 06-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #37724
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
At the moment I'm leaning towards a mirrorless camera because of the size, I use it to make everyday pictures and often the spontaneous ones are the best and if I don't have my camera with me I won't take those type of pictures anymore.
Take a look at the Sony a7 Series Cameras...
Small, lightweight, very fast, with a light-gathering ability that is simply amazing. A friend of mine, another professional photographer who swore he would ONLY use medium-format cameras a few years ago, now uses his Sony for almost everything. He can shoot at night in full darkness without a flash, bumping up the ISO, yet the images are almost grain-free. The depth of color saturation is also fantastic! Sunset photos that he takes almost look as if they are High Dynamic Range photos!

Quite frankly, I'm considering switching over myself. These are almost pocket-sized cameras, but have interchangeable lenses going down to f/1.4
The cost is less than half that of a good DSLR too!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #37725
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Now I'm REALLY wondering if these robins are insane. They've already raised one brood this year, and now there are fresh eggs in the nest. Yes, that's our front door; the one we come in and out by all the time; the one where the UPS and Federal Express people drop off their packages; the one where the neighborhood kids ring the doorbell asking for our grandson, and that's the nest they built in the wreath beside it. The pictures in the spoiler were taken in April, but now these fools are back.

Spoiler:

The light is probably great for helping to keep the eggs warm and I would guess that the activity by the door is enough to deter most predators from stealing the eggs. Smart birds.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?