Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-02-2008, 06:05 AM   #31
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Hater

That's actually the first thing that I thought when I first saw the thread title... that someone asked her if it's a Kindle.

Hey wouldn't it be cool if all ebook readers were referred to as Kindle because of the Oprah effect just like all building blocks are pretty much Legos, all correction liquids are White-Out, and all portable cassette players are Walkmans?

::runs off thread::
Good job you ran off; good joke I like it ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Ah ... but don't forget the naked thingies with the big boobies that dance around naked ... oh ... nevermind ... sometimes they have flashy lights and beep too.

Witches in the Moonlight ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Put it this way, if someone refers to my Sony as a Kindle, that person will hear about it from me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #33
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

kindle, to me, is what one uses to start a fire in the hearth .....

(:ducksasthe bricksflypastmyhead: )
Old 11-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
kindle, to me, is what one uses to start a fire in the hearth .....

(:ducksasthe bricksflypastmyhead: )
Isn't that "kindling"? kindle a a verb is "light or set on fire" or "give birth". At least that's what my Mac dictionary says.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #35
GeoffC

you are splitting hairs over an "ing" !!!! pffft - but you do have the gist of it ....
Old 11-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #36
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wouldn't it be funny if you saw someone with a liseuse in an airport, and struck up a conversation, and it turned out to be someone you knew on mobileread ! that could happen... do you fly often ?
Normally I fly once a year tops, but this year I've flown a few times. I don't anticipate that being repeated soon, though, unless circumstances change...I like traveling but can't afford to do as much as I would like.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #37
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Normally I fly once a year tops, but this year I've flown a few times. I don't anticipate that being repeated soon, though, unless circumstances change...I like traveling but can't afford to do as much as I would like.
*sigh* i know what you mean, i rarely fly (although since i don't actually like flying i don't wish i did it more) and i don't travel nearly as much as i would like. but i still think it would be pretty hilarious if two people with liseuses started talking in an airport and discovered they knew each other from here !

maybe you could just go and wander around the airport every once in a while, on the lookout (don't worry about security. that's not suspicious at all. especially not while carrying a small electronic device).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #38
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Oh, no, not suspicious at all.

I will say that everyone who asks about my Cybook is given the URL for MobileRead.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #39
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Oh, no, not suspicious at all.

I will say that everyone who asks about my Cybook is given the URL for MobileRead.
me too. (you let me know how it goes at the airport. )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #40
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That really doesn't matter. The text entry keys are disabled unless you are focused on some type of text entry box. So, while reading a book they are disabled. The only keys that are live in the read book mode are the home key and the font key and you can use the Alt-Font chord to sleep it. Also, the selector knob is always active, but I don't think you would be pressing that by accident.
Accidental page turns are only a real issue for me when grabbing my Kindle -- I have to be a bit more careful with it (even in its M-Edge case) than with my Cybook.

After using both devices for some time, I like them both...but purely for reading an ebook, I prefer the Cybook. Besides being smaller and lighter, the Cybook's user-installable fonts, more text size options, and better line spacing give it the edge.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Accidental page turns are only a real issue for me when grabbing my Kindle -- I have to be a bit more careful with it (even in its M-Edge case) than with my Cybook.
I always sleep it before I put it down, so I don't really have this issue.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #42
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I always sleep it before I put it down, so I don't really have this issue.

BOb
Yeah, I have generally learned to do this as well...but do forget once in a while.

Last edited by bwaldron; 11-02-2008 at 02:00 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:05 AM   #43
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Maybe you should attach a sign on the back of the reader (or reader cover) saying "This is an ebook reader - www.bebook.com" as a public service. That way, you maintain custom, and help people out. Just a thought....
Thats actually a pretty good idea.... Have to get a second cover that I can do that to. Don't want to mess up my original cover
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #44
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Aw well, I think an I-pod in essence is an mp3 player.
Lately they support more formats as well, but the right term would be 'DAP' (Digital Audio Player), since it's main focus is playing back audio.

Likewise I'd not make a deal if people call the wrong brand name (like calling it a kindle), but I will make sure they know it's an e-reader; meant for reading electronic books.

I would hate it if the standard would become to call all ebook readers 'kindles'.
That's the same as calling all mp3 players "I-POD's"..
Just like calling all mini-notebooks/nettops "Eee-Pc's"..
That just doesn't feel right to me.

As for me, I've never seen an ebook reader in life yet. And only 2 or 3 palm devices that could be used to read ebooks.
In Belgium, as well as Miami I don't often see these devices.

But I had the same issue with my mini-notebook.
A lot of people seeing it go like: "Ow, what is that? Is that a laptop? How Cute!!, Where can I buy it? How much does it cost? What? Only 400??? You mean second hand right? No? New price? Even less? I want to have one!"

Mini notebooks are pretty well made these days, only the battery life is reasonably short (though some users can get upto 7,5 hours out of them); still nothing like an ebook reader...
I truely love the tought of being battery (power) independant for more than 2 weeks!
The first walkman I ever had lasted a whole week on a pair of batteries (rechargable).
It took me a while to find a device again that had the same battery life as a walkman.
Second in line would be my flash based 4GB Cowon DAP, with over 30 continuous hours of battery life.
The e-reader is the third one.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #45
Joerg_Mosthaf
Connoisseur
Joerg_Mosthaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2i, iPhone
I haven't seen any ebook reader in the wild here in Heidelberg. But I think I made my first convert last week
I was at my doctors office as I was sick with a bad stomach flu and when I went to the receptionist to scan my insurance card she saw my CyBook (in its stylish brown leather cover ) and in one gushing flow asked me:
"Is this an ebook reader? How do you like it? How much does it cost? How many books fit on there? Where did you buy it? How does it handle? How do you get books? ..."
I answered those and some more questions and told her that german ebooks are a bit sparse yet and then gave her the URL of justread.de (german ebook reader shop). Unfortunately I was in a bit of a daze and didn't think to also give her the mobileread.com URL but I'll just have to get back to her
She was showing it around to her colleagues and was talking about getting one for christmas when I got called in to the doctor and retrieved it.
Joerg_Mosthaf is offline   Reply With Quote